cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74sx Skyrim performance

Basilo
Level 7
So, I have a three month old G74 i ordered through powernotebooks.com with all the bells and whistles, like 16 gigs of ram and the i7-2860M CPU, but I think the graphics card may be defective. Basically, with skyrim on high settings, i get an average of around 20 fps, even though when I press the default settings button, it goes to ultra. Is this an average performance, or is something messed up with my laptop? I do have all the drivers updated, and have taken to using the beta drivers, and my WEI gives me a 7.2, so i feel i should be getting better performance. Thnx! Oh, and ive been monitoring my CPU, memory and graphics card, and only the graphics card maxes out when playing games, but it almost always immediately peaks.
17 REPLIES 17

zsld0423
Level 9
Have you tried using the Throttlestop program? There's a known issue that when the CPU and GPU start to max, it throttles the computer 😞 Or something along those lines. Here's the thread detailing about the issue and what to do. Personally, I'm running Skyrim just fine on my G74 on all ultra, no lag or anything

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2329-ATTENTION-G73-53SW-Owners-CPU-Throttling-to-798mhz-and...
Sager NP9370
256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 750GB 7200RPM Secondary HDD
nVidia GeForce GTX 680M 4GB VRAM
Intel Core i7-3630QM 2.40GHz
16GB RAM
Mouse: MadCatz R.A.T. 7
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa Mirror
Additional Monitors: 24" 1080p Insignia LED/LCD TV and 21" Acer LCD Monitor
Windows 7 Ultimate

Honestly, I hate my G74, and my F50sf works better than this computer does in the graphics department. I will happily sell this computer to anyone who ask.

Im not sure how a GT220M is going to run better then a GTX560M. Have you checked that thread the previous poster replied to you with? That will most likely solve your problem by running ThrottleStop.
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

Basilo
Level 7
It doesn't make any sense to me either, all I know is that I am playing games at the exact same settings on this computer as i was on my f50, and getting almost the exact same framerate, but on this one the graphics card is the bottleneck, and the CPU was the bottleneck on my old one. Ok, I got throttle stop working and fraps says im getting 40 fps, but the screen looks like 20-25 fps, and i can clearly see lag when walking as things near the border of the screen form a double image for a very small, yet noticeable, period.

Basilo wrote:
It doesn't make any sense to me either, all I know is that I am playing games at the exact same settings on this computer as i was on my f50, and getting almost the exact same framerate, but on this one the graphics card is the bottleneck, and the CPU was the bottleneck on my old one. Ok, I got throttle stop working and fraps says im getting 40 fps, but the screen looks like 20-25 fps, and i can clearly see lag when walking as things near the border of the screen form a double image for a very small, yet noticeable, period.

Do you have the newest drivers from Nvidia? Almost sounds like somekind of driver issue. Or possibly a refresh rate issue?
I may try and hook it up to an external display via HDMI if you can to see if the same thing occurs.
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

I have the Nvidia beta drivers, but i have yet another question. What kind of framerate do you get in crysis and crysis 2, because for both on their second highest settings i am only getting about 25 fps, even when i overclocked to 917/1834/1450. Might I mention that that is about the exact same framerate i get in crysis on my old laptop on medium settings.... im very disappointed with this computer.

smellons
Level 7
In addition to checking the nvidia drivers, also make sure you have Skyrim at the latest version, there have been many improvements in performance. And double-check you're on High Performance Mode.

Did you uninstall any of the bloatware/ clean install?

Also, the f50 was only 1366 x 768 with a ddr2/ddr3 gpu while the G74 is 1920 x 1080 with a ddr5 gpu.
G53SW-A1
Core i7 2630M
Gtx 460m

smellons wrote:
And double-check you're on High Performance Mode.

Seconding this, since nothing else seems to have an obvious effect; it's also the main reason I ever have lag/framedrop issues with games -- though I should point out the caveat that I haven't tried playing Skyrim on this unit.

Tech_Rat
Level 9
I had no problem with lag or FPS issues while playing skyrim on the G74SX-BBK8. Had High res texture packs on everything, all settings maxed out. I am using the 296.10 drivers. Check the throttle stop if you haven't. Make sure the power mode[the battery thing in the bottom right corner on your task bar] is set to high performance, and not battery saver. I don't normally use the beta drivers. Make sure Steam and Skyrim are both updated. I know skyrim has an official parch for the 4GB+ RAM users.