cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tb_header

wingcom
Level 7
May I know what is the purpose of this tb_header? I heard it is for thunderbolt...

If it is true, do we need to have an external thunderbolt card to plug into PCIe slot and tb_header to make it work?

Currently I have a ROG Maximus V Gene M/B running on SLI meaning to say I do not have any more empty slots to be use, what if I would like to have thunderbolt in the future?

Thanks
21 REPLIES 21

HiVizMan
Level 40
It should be Thunderbolt but I can not find any confirmation of this fact.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
It should be Thunderbolt but I can not find any confirmation of this fact.

It is Thunderbolt, we're launching a separate card later. The header is to route through the display output from the processor graphics as far as I know right now. Here is a list of model that support it:

P8Z77-V DLX, P8Z77-V PRO, P8Z77-V, P8Z77-V LE PLUS, P8Z77-V LE, P8Z77-V LK, P8H77-V, P8H77-M PRO, SABERTOOTH Z77, Maximus V GENE

I'm trying to keep you guys in the loop but even my info changes.

How will the thunderbolt card looks like? I am running on Maximus V Gene now in SLI mode, I have no more spare slot to slot in the card if it is either in PCIex16 or PCIex4...

wondering.

wingcom wrote:
How will the thunderbolt card looks like? I am running on Maximus V Gene now in SLI mode, I have no more spare slot to slot in the card if it is either in PCIex16 or PCIex4...

wondering.

We can't disclose anything more about the Thunderbolt card yet sorry due to Intel NDA. Such is life

I have the same problem of space...GPU's are getting fatter and fatter. One has to bottle them to get space for a sound card.
It is about time motherboard manufacturers begin looking at alternative ways of slot configuration.
I personally prefer the first slot to be used for the sound card.

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
It is Thunderbolt, we're launching a separate card later. The header is to route through the display output from the processor graphics as far as I know right now. Here is a list of model that support it:

P8Z77-V DLX, P8Z77-V PRO, P8Z77-V, P8Z77-V LE PLUS, P8Z77-V LE, P8Z77-V LK, P8H77-V, P8H77-M PRO, SABERTOOTH Z77, Maximus V GENE

I'm trying to keep you guys in the loop but even my info changes.

JJ from Asus in this youtube video just mentioned that the card will be running on a x4 PCIe...:( bad luck for SLI users in the GENE series board???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq0TPkwoBwg&feature=g-all-u&context=G23ef102FAAAAAAAAHAA please see 21min

X-ROG
Level 15
It's for a dual NIC/audio amplifier PCI-Express card we used to sell last year called ThunderBolt. We named and sold it just before Intel announced its use of the name unfortunately. Such is life sometimes.

Right now it's been discontinued so this pin-out is only available for existing users who migrate the card to new builds. It's not suitable for an external device and it does not represent Intel Thunderbolt either sorry.

X-ROG
Level 15
We can't disclose anything more about the Thunderbolt card yet sorry due to Intel NDA. Such is life 😞

chrsplmr
Level 18
Once again or is it yet ... Intel holding the entire industry hostage.
The millions upon millions this must cost companies like asus (haha, 'like')
in lost revenue in the different cpu cycles .... disturbing that it is tolerated.

Support AMD for just one year ... and I believe we would see advances
from both ... Intel pricing may drop .. and Amd ... may actually pull off SteamRoller.

Asus. You have some 'big' bucks .. ever consider a hotile takeover ... ?
Asus i12 1200X Extreme 12Core .... I like it.c.

DaemonCantor
Level 13
I still don't understand why you have to have a separate Sound Card/ Network Card from the Motherboard, these features are easily enough made in to the Motherboard itself with all of the Bells and Whistles they have. Plus if done right they could finally get rid of the Old Standard PCI slots altogether which also would save some room. I personally haven't used a PCI card in about 4 years now and I quit using a Floppy Drive almost 20 years ago...(Glad they Killed that Port Finally).