cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does LN2 Mode Do?

I_M_O_G_
Level 7
I always turn it on for my boards, because I'm always running LN2. However I don't know what this setting actually does. I have heard it prevents "cold bugging", but if that is the case, I have never heard how it does that... Does it increase voltage somewhere, change switching frequency in PWMs somewhere... Any tips?

By the way, I like the ROG stuff. 5th cpu frequency in the world on CVF, I couldn't have done it without the Asus BIOS features and ROG connect:
http://hwbot.org/submission/2225833_i.m.o.g._cpu_frequency_fx_8120_8235.25_mhz

I generally know what I'm doing. Can anyone tell me what LN2 mode does other than "its for liquid nitrogen"?
5 REPLIES 5

I_M_O_G_
Level 7

HiVizMan
Level 40
LN mode allows a motherboard to boot or pass into OS when running at extreme settings most commonly associated with sub-zero. If you were to do a comparative between the two modes you would notice how poor your efficiency was when in LN mode.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
LN mode allows a motherboard to boot or pass into OS when running at extreme settings most commonly associated with sub-zero. If you were to do a comparative between the two modes you would notice how poor your efficiency was when in LN mode.

Interesting, thank you.

I'll stop using LN2 mode. I always boot low and ramp up settings within windows, so LN2 mode is likely not doing me any benefit. My scores have always been competitive though in efficiency, in light of CPU-NB/Ram freq/timings... The efficiency part of your comment has not rang true in my practice. Perhaps whatever effect exactly LN2 mode has is overridden when ROG connect/TurboV settings are applied.

HiVizMan
Level 40
I wonder if we are talking at cross purposes here. I am specifically referring tot he RIVE board and no other. And more specifically the LN2 toggle switch.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Or are you talking about LN2 bios setting like found on the R3E for example there is a LN2 mode. That simply allows the board to function without any cold (temp sensors) issues.