Hello, nobody knows me around here yet but the name's Josh. I'm trying to stabilize a new system I call Zeus. I built Zeus 2 days ago with no assistance, and it is my first build. If you haven't seen my post on the new member page, I'll introduce Zeus in the next paragraph. I have some issues that I believe are related to the Radeon Series Graphic Cards forum, many that aren't so I hope someone who knows better than me can move this thread to the proper place. Here's a quick view of the issues I can think of: Shader Model 5 not recognized... sound card not recognized... HDMI not working properly... issues with multiple screens... COM port error with bluetooth module... microphone error... Wifi not working and videos look like they went through a blender. Okay maybe not that bad, they just aren't as impressive as you'd expect from AMD's second best graphics card.
So here's Zeus: 64 Bit Windows 7 Ultimate, Rampage IV Extreme motherboard, 32GBs of G. Skill Ripjaws Z series 19200 PC3 RAM (that's 2400MHz by the way), 2 Western Digital 2TB 6GB/s HDD, Intel I7 Extreme 3930K Step C2 Processor (from the UK), Noctua NH-D14 Cooling unit, Silverstone Strider 1500W PSU, and the AMD Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Graphics Card... not the oc edition.
Here's a list of the errors, I'm going 100% off my memory because Zeus is busy undergoing some language pack updates for Arabic, French, Chinese and Italian... If you want specifics on any case I will be able to duplicate the error and give more details.
1) I've tried installing the Unreal Development Kit (UDK December 2011 version)... Failed because it says the graphics card must support at least Shader Model 3, and I have the 12.1 Driver for the graphics card, which makes my Shader model 5.0. I even checked, system says DirectX 11.
2) I've tried installing Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11.5... Program cited an error of instability, stating it can't find the sound card.(Sound card is built into the motherboard and I've installed the driver included with the disk)
3) As for the HDMI problem, I decided to test the abilities of the sound card by inserting a DVD of some random movie. I connected the HDMI cable between the HD 7950 and the LCD flatscreen in our main living room. I'll just say that the graphics from my old Xbox 360 looked nicer than the resulting video. Quite a disappointment. I checked the video settings and the video card considered my LCD a standard VGA display.
4) The multiple screen issue... before I had 2 VGA displays. One is no longer usable but it's probably because the beastly cable connecting it to the power blew it's 5A fuse after I turned on my amp for my guitar. I can't settle with just one screen so I moved Zeus into the livingroom, hooked up the HDMI cable to the LCD flatscreen, restarted the PC and nothing. The graphics card will not recognize the HDMI connection at the same time as the VGA miniport. Am I expecting too much from my HD 7950?
5) the Com port error. Every time I boot my machine it gives me an error stating something along the lines of "COM port error, Bluetooth module" I looked this up and found that older versions of motherboards had the same problem, but at the time I had bigger issues to deal with and have not investigated further.
6) Microphone error... another issue with Dragon, it can't find my microphone. This is probably a duplicate of error #2
7) Wifi not connecting... I sure look like an idiot when my family owns the best internet service in three states, and I can't even fix my own internet issues. My seven year old laptop, which uses Fedora Lovelock ( +10 awesome points if you have used this before) identifies 7 locked wireless internet providers. I know the password to one of those ( my own.) Zeus, not having it's own internal wireless receiver, uses a usb device to detect and connect to wifi. I installed the driver for the device, windows only identifies one service at a time, and luckily it's usually the one I need. I input the password and it instantly says cannot connect. I know this has nothing to do with ROG but if I could get help with this I'd really appreciate it. saves me the effort of hauling 3 PCs down the stairs so I can hardwire Zeus every time I need an update.
8) Video quality... I suppose this is just more complaining about issue #3. I cannot express my disappointment enough through text.
If you can help me with any one of my issues, I'd greatly appreciate it. Once I get everything together I'll be willing to draw 3d models or art for friends who have helped me.