cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Radeon HD 7950

Lugh_Azreak
Level 7
Hello, nobody knows me around here yet but the name's Josh. I'm trying to stabilize a new system I call Zeus. I built Zeus 2 days ago with no assistance, and it is my first build. If you haven't seen my post on the new member page, I'll introduce Zeus in the next paragraph. I have some issues that I believe are related to the Radeon Series Graphic Cards forum, many that aren't so I hope someone who knows better than me can move this thread to the proper place. Here's a quick view of the issues I can think of: Shader Model 5 not recognized... sound card not recognized... HDMI not working properly... issues with multiple screens... COM port error with bluetooth module... microphone error... Wifi not working and videos look like they went through a blender. Okay maybe not that bad, they just aren't as impressive as you'd expect from AMD's second best graphics card.

So here's Zeus: 64 Bit Windows 7 Ultimate, Rampage IV Extreme motherboard, 32GBs of G. Skill Ripjaws Z series 19200 PC3 RAM (that's 2400MHz by the way), 2 Western Digital 2TB 6GB/s HDD, Intel I7 Extreme 3930K Step C2 Processor (from the UK), Noctua NH-D14 Cooling unit, Silverstone Strider 1500W PSU, and the AMD Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Graphics Card... not the oc edition.

Here's a list of the errors, I'm going 100% off my memory because Zeus is busy undergoing some language pack updates for Arabic, French, Chinese and Italian... If you want specifics on any case I will be able to duplicate the error and give more details.

1) I've tried installing the Unreal Development Kit (UDK December 2011 version)... Failed because it says the graphics card must support at least Shader Model 3, and I have the 12.1 Driver for the graphics card, which makes my Shader model 5.0. I even checked, system says DirectX 11.

2) I've tried installing Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11.5... Program cited an error of instability, stating it can't find the sound card.(Sound card is built into the motherboard and I've installed the driver included with the disk)

3) As for the HDMI problem, I decided to test the abilities of the sound card by inserting a DVD of some random movie. I connected the HDMI cable between the HD 7950 and the LCD flatscreen in our main living room. I'll just say that the graphics from my old Xbox 360 looked nicer than the resulting video. Quite a disappointment. I checked the video settings and the video card considered my LCD a standard VGA display.

4) The multiple screen issue... before I had 2 VGA displays. One is no longer usable but it's probably because the beastly cable connecting it to the power blew it's 5A fuse after I turned on my amp for my guitar. I can't settle with just one screen so I moved Zeus into the livingroom, hooked up the HDMI cable to the LCD flatscreen, restarted the PC and nothing. The graphics card will not recognize the HDMI connection at the same time as the VGA miniport. Am I expecting too much from my HD 7950?

5) the Com port error. Every time I boot my machine it gives me an error stating something along the lines of "COM port error, Bluetooth module" I looked this up and found that older versions of motherboards had the same problem, but at the time I had bigger issues to deal with and have not investigated further.

6) Microphone error... another issue with Dragon, it can't find my microphone. This is probably a duplicate of error #2

7) Wifi not connecting... I sure look like an idiot when my family owns the best internet service in three states, and I can't even fix my own internet issues. My seven year old laptop, which uses Fedora Lovelock ( +10 awesome points if you have used this before) identifies 7 locked wireless internet providers. I know the password to one of those ( my own.) Zeus, not having it's own internal wireless receiver, uses a usb device to detect and connect to wifi. I installed the driver for the device, windows only identifies one service at a time, and luckily it's usually the one I need. I input the password and it instantly says cannot connect. I know this has nothing to do with ROG but if I could get help with this I'd really appreciate it. saves me the effort of hauling 3 PCs down the stairs so I can hardwire Zeus every time I need an update.

😎 Video quality... I suppose this is just more complaining about issue #3. I cannot express my disappointment enough through text.

If you can help me with any one of my issues, I'd greatly appreciate it. Once I get everything together I'll be willing to draw 3d models or art for friends who have helped me.
5 REPLIES 5

HiVizMan
Level 40
64 Bit Windows 7 Ultimate,
Rampage IV Extreme motherboard,
32GBs of G. Skill Ripjaws Z series 19200 PC3 RAM (that's 2400MHz by the way),
2 Western Digital 2TB 6GB/s HDD,
Intel I7 Extreme 3930K Step C2 Processor (from the UK),
Noctua NH-D14 Cooling unit,
Silverstone Strider 1500W PSU,
Sapphire Radeon HD 7950

Nice system.

1) Update your driver to 12.3 - download the full package. And is there any reason you are not using the March 2012 version of UDK?

2) Run memtest (Ver 4.2 USB stick is the one I use - but there might be a later version) I suspect your ram is not stable.

3) Your TV what is the native res of the set? HDMI from your graphic card needs to be set the same as the TV.

4) What is your LCD screen res? Issue with screens which are not native HDMI res.

5) If you are not using Bluetooth disable in BIOS, if you are using Bluetooth install the drivers.

6) Suspect that your sound drivers are installed just fine, but that you have not configured your playback nor your record default hardware as yet.

7) Window7 will show each and every wifi within range, I am talking the OS here. What ever software you have installed will act independently of that. Best thing is to do your OS install with a network cable connected and plug your stuff in, that way the OS automatically downloads any drivers that are needed. I too use a wifi dongle and that is the method I used as I found the software that came with the dongle bloated my system.

😎 I hear you, expectation is a killer when it is not realised. Wait until l you marry you will understand even more then. (jk dear no really - don't pick up that cast iron skillet) 😄

Mate we do stuff cos we are all part of the ROG family. Post up some of your artwork here anyway - the forum is full of art critics. DC this is for you and Chris.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Thank you so much for the help, I'll respond with a more intelligent response in the morning, I've been studying too long... should have stopped hours ago.

Okay so I have a lot to do it seems. I've answered the questions you asked below to the best of my ability, and I have one more question: My old Toshiba tablet is currently being used to monitor Zeus via RC TweakIt. Since these two are already tied together, can I take the tablet's wireless internet connection and bridge it to Zeus through an ethernet cord? I tried this on my own but failed. The tablet runs Windows XP, will this conflict with Zeus's Windows 7 Ultimate?

1) Is there any reason you are not using the March 2012 version of UDK?
A> My download speed in Saudi Arabia is 2 Mbps... if I need to download it I will but it's a lot of work!

2) I suspect your ram is not stable.
A> Does RAM require drivers or any other type of software? I hope it's okay that I didn't purchase a set of 8, but two sets of 4.

3) Your TV what is the native res of the set? HDMI from your graphic card needs to be set the same as the TV.
A> I never would have considered this. Next time I decide to use an HDMI connection I'll make sure I understand the display better.

4) What is your LCD screen res? Issue with screens which are not native HDMI res.
A> Same and #3, but today I got a new cable for my second VGA display, and windows is not detecting it. Instead I have two duplicate displays... but that's not te same problem I had with the LCD yesterday... yesterday they were duplicate until Windows was finally running, then it went blank until I made the LCD the only display connected. Let's see there's still problems once I've installed the drivers and such.

5) If you are not using Bluetooth disable in BIOS, if you are using Bluetooth install the drivers.
A> Bluetooth disabled.

6) Suspect that your sound drivers are installed just fine, but that you have not configured your playback nor your record default hardware as yet.
A> I really don't have much of a sound system: two monitors with speakers, an amp, and headphones with a built in mic. ohhhhhhhhhhh I'm so glad you've mentioned this. Just figured out how to configure everything. Cool thanks!

7) Window7 will show each and every wifi within range, I am talking the OS here. What ever software you have installed will act independently of that. Best thing is to do your OS install with a network cable connected and plug your stuff in, that way the OS automatically downloads any drivers that are needed. I too use a wifi dongle and that is the method I used as I found the software that came with the dongle bloated my system.
A> Unfortunately, I'm not really able to leave Zeus in the livingroom all the time, so I need a way to connect from my office. As I mentioned above, I've tried to link the wireless connection in my tablet PC to Zeus but I've not had much luck. If I must I will continue to drag my tower down to the router for a hard connection everytime I need.

😎 I hear you, expectation is a killer when it is not realised. Wait until l you marry you will understand even more then. (jk dear no really - don't pick up that cast iron skillet)
A>Oooh if I thought I could avoid that I would! For now I'm just trying to stay single as long as possible because I REALLY don't want to get married. hahaha not with anyone I've met anyways.

Mate we do stuff cos we are all part of the ROG family. Post up some of your artwork here anyway - the forum is full of art critics. DC this is for you and Chris.

Too cool. Thanks for all the help... It's a lot of work building a PC like this! Very stressful too, being that it's worth thousands of dollars. I have to admit, thought I could handle it on my own, I've always been quick to learn and extremely smart, but there's just wayyy too much to learn when it comes to PCs. I had no idea what I was getting into. I've only been studying UDK, Photoshop, Maya and 3dsMax because I thought that getting to the point of using those applications would be easy. Psh couldn't have been more wrong! Thanks a lot.

I have one question, would it be easier if I reinstalled windows and started from scratch? I've already done it once already.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Tablet question. No idea if it is possible, I know that with both my phone and iPad I can use both as a hotspot. That you will have to google or hope some other member is more clued up about tablet stuff.

1. I hear you - 1.7GB with a 2MB connection will take a while.

2. DDR3 ram. Nope no drivers just BIOS settings. I guessed as much that you had two kits. Remove one for now, and use the XMP profile that should be stable for our needs.

3. Not all TV sets are 1080p actually very few are I have found out and it is a common error. Folks think that because you connect a XBOX or PS3 to the TV with a HDMI cable that a PC will work perfectly right off the bat. Well not always. Some of the time you will need to adjust the screen res in your OS control panel to match that of the TV.

4. Right click your mouse in any blank desktop area. Select screen res. You will know have the options via a drop down menu to select how your two screens are presented. I tend to select extended as that fits my needs best.

5. Sorted.

6. Please to have helped with one item at least.

7. In stead of moving Zeus around get a long network cable. I have a 20m cable that I use when I am doing installations upstairs and Win7 does not pick up the wireless dongle. Makes it easier and less trouble than moving a big box around.

8. Wise man.

My friend you are smarter than most. You know why I say this is because unlike so many you realised you were out of your comfort zone and you were intelligent enough to find the best place for guidance and to know you needed guidance. At the end of the day you will have done all the things yourself. We are just removing the doubt. At the end of the day it would have been all you.

And one additional question. I do not think so just yet. If your system is not performing correctly once we are done tinkering then reinstall. But let us make our learning together complete first.

Till later.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Alright! I've got everything fixed... almost. I purchased a new wireless receiver, one with an antennae, it works well enough. I've finally installed a stable version of Catalyst Control, and I can now play videos full screen and use each screen independently. The video driver works enough to satisfy a normal user... but not me. It's version 3.00 something 8. I'm trying to get 12.1, 12.2 or 12.3 but something is blocking them from working properly, I get successful installation messages, but when I reboot Zeus it acts like I have no GPU drivers at all. it's frustrating but I was able to successfully install UDK also, and although Dragon speech recognition is still unstable, the program included with Windows 7 is decent enough for now. The problems I have:

1. Very old video driver, it's the one included with the disk. New drivers refuse to work properly, and once Windows refused to install them due to "unsigned drivers".

2. Window's own updates aren't installing. I've installed several windows updates, but there are about 12 updates that fail continually.

3. Windows Media Player will play movies, but not if they are legit copies. I put a disk for Lord of the Rings in, and once it reached the menu where I could change the languages and such, blue screen error. Backups work just fine if it's only the main video, no extras.

4. UDK will start up fine for a few minutes, but once you start trying to work with it, blue screen error.

These are my only problems with the machine itself. I still have ridiculously slow internet, I've tried three times to download the March UDK and the 12.3 graphics driver about five times. I also haven't removed half the RAM yet, do you think fixing that will solve all my problems? Should I reinstall windows?