+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 680 sli drops to 5fps on 990fx!!

ROG Member Karandar +10

Used a bios edited version for my pair of 6950's. Unlocked the shaders on them to equivalent to 6970's for a little performance boost ...AMD's 2 bios on those cards helps to ensure even if you screwed up, you had a backup bios to fall back on ..Less chance to Brick them!
    Crosshair V
    Haf X case
    Phenom x4 965 @ 4150
    Eco alc 240mm h20
    16gb Corsair Vengeance ddr3
    120gb Vertex 3 MI
    WD 2TB Caviar Black
    2 x GTX 680 (just upgraded from 2 x unlocked 6950's)
    Drives 3 X Asus ve278Q monitors

ROG Member Karandar +10

I don't know if I had ever mentioned, but the SLI 680 setup does work on a single monitor...FPS boost is impressive, system power consumption goes from around 310 w with the problematic 3 monitor surround SLI 5fps thing to about 450w on the single monitor...
    Crosshair V
    Haf X case
    Phenom x4 965 @ 4150
    Eco alc 240mm h20
    120gb Vertex 3 MI
    WD 2TB Caviar Black

New ROGer javajoo +10

I am having the same issue as Karandar. I have updated my bios, tried every driver for the 680's, did a clean install of windows. Tried with/without overclocking, but nothing works. I started a thread on NVIDIA's forums here: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=226456

Below is the system I have tried it on.

system is:
    GPU: EVGA GTX 680, 2 cards in SLI
    Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
    PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200 (CMPSU-1200AX) 1200W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply
    Ram: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9

I've thrown in the towel as well.
    I'm going to change to a Intel Core i7-3820, and looking at the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Motherboard.

My question is does anyone have this setup, or think/know that this will work?
    I would love to see if anyone has this setup and knows that it works!
    Last edited by javajoo; 05-01-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Super Moderator HiVizMan +200 HiVizMan +200 HiVizMan +200 HiVizMan's Avatar

I have that set up and yes it works a dream.

Cheers javajoo

New ROGer javajoo +10

Awesome, thanks for your help and effort HiVizMan!
    This is what nVidia has said so far, "We were able to reproduce this issue. Our software team is investigating the problem. "

Hopefully a fix is in the works soon!

Super Moderator HiVizMan +200 HiVizMan +200 HiVizMan +200 HiVizMan's Avatar

I like the fact they were willing to put their hand up and say yeah we need to fix this.

Lets hope it is soon.

ROG Member Karandar +10

The latest from Nvidia , they suspect a known bios issue they have reported to mobo makers . Nvidia Engineers are working to confirm this is the cause...

this was yesterday, so they are making progress...

Kar
    Crosshair V
    Haf X case
    Phenom x4 965 @ 4150
    Eco alc 240mm h20
    120gb Vertex 3 MI
    WD 2TB Caviar Black

ROG Member Karandar +10

Another update today from them...impressive feedback I have to say...

Hivizman, It sounds like there is communication with Nvidia already on this, but is this something you can forward to Asus, or should I try? Thanks

We believe this is the same chipset issue we found internally when we try to certify the ASUS CROSSHAIR V Formula and SABERTOOTH 990FX mobos. The mobos did not pass some of our tests and we reported the problem back to ASUS. We even provided tools to replicate the failure so ASUS can debug and fix. We suspect this is not isolated to ASUS, and is more a general chipset issue that ASUS and other mobo manufactures will have to work with AMD to resolve. All data suggest the problem is the same in this case but engineering is still running more tests to be absolutely sure. If this is indeed the same cause then we'll have to wait for ASUS/AMD to push an update system BIOS to fix. I'll know more once engineer finalize their analysis.

According to engineering notes ASUS did provide a beta test BIOS for the CROSSHAIR V Formula and that seems to have resolved the problem. Although the beta BIOS they provided for the SABERTOOTH 990FX did not completely fixed the problem. The issue with the SABERTOOTH 990FX is still under investigation by ASUS. The beta BIOS for the CROSSHAIR V Formula was never released, and we have no idea when or if ASUS intended to release this BIOS. The internal version of the CROSSHAIR V Formula BIOS we tested, and passed all our tests, was version 0061. This may be a internal version so not sure how this relate to public BIOS versions from ASUS.

I'd suggest you report the problem back to ASUS as well, and let them know that early analysis by NVIDIA engineering team suggest its the same chipset issue. The same issue we've already submitted to ASUS engineering team against the ASUS CROSSHAIR V Formula and SABERTOOTH 990FX mobo. I don't have all the details but based on what I can understand the failure is during data transfer from video memory to system memory. During this period, we saw operation time-out and when this happens, it usually cause the program crash or even hang the system. ASUS/AMD will need to investigate why this operation is timing out, at least for the SABERTOOTH 990FX . The same operation works fine with Intel chipset, so its a failure that is unique to these AMD chipsets. It looks like a fix already exist for the ASUS CROSSHAIR V Formula mobo, just need to wait for ASUS to push the update to public. I'd suggest you contact ASUS and see about the next BIOS update schedule and whether the next update will include the fix for this issue.
    Crosshair V
    Haf X case
    Phenom x4 965 @ 4150
    Eco alc 240mm h20
    120gb Vertex 3 MI
    WD 2TB Caviar Black

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3