cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

680 sli drops to 5fps on 990fx!!

Karandar
Level 7
Hey all, wondering if anyone here has experienced and solved what is going on here. I am new to SLI, used crossfired unlocked 6950's until last week.

1 GTX 680 does pretty well with 3 monitors at 5760 res for gaming and benchmarks. Add a 2nd and set up SLI , and EVERYTHING drops to 4-7fps !! I have all the latest drivers for chipset and motherboard, tried the 310 and 324 beta, have tried single and dual bridge, have confirmed in my Bios that the cards are both seen, and both have PCIe 2.0 x16 bandwidth.

I have plugged my tower into a kill a watt power consumption meter and the highest consumption has been 275watts! These cards are not loading up. i have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers several times, ran each card by itself succesfully, but nothing changes the dismal performance!!

On the NV forums, there are several people there with Croshhairs and Sabertooth 990fx chipsets experiencing the same thing, so far no luck, but this is brutal. Spend 1100.00 on a pair of cards and they don't run as advertised- 1 is an Asus, the other MSI.

any help and suggestions would be appreciated, I have spent a few hours trying everything I can think of. played with adaptive vsync, FXAA settings etc ...

Thanks!
Crosshair V
Haf X case
Phenom x4 965 @ 4150
Eco alc 240mm h20
16gb Corsair Vengeance ddr3
120gb Vertex 3 MI
WD 2TB Caviar Black
2 x GTX 680 (just upgraded from 2 x unlocked 6950's)
Drives 3 X Asus ve278Q monitors
27 REPLIES 27

kkn
Level 14
well the best thing is, is that you have 2 card of the same brand ( my opinnion ) msi or asus have difrent bios setup ( even the cards are the "same" its 2 difrent cards whit 2 difrent bios setups from the providers ( asus got 1 and msi got its own ) ).

kkn wrote:
well the best thing is, is that you have 2 card of the same brand ( my opinnion ) msi or asus have difrent bios setup ( even the cards are the "same" its 2 difrent cards whit 2 difrent bios setups from the providers ( asus got 1 and msi got its own ) ).

Yeah that is true - how ever the 680 (most of them) that are being sold are all reference cards the only thing different in the bios of the cards is the vendor ID. I have checked 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

kkn wrote:

Yeah that is true - how ever the 680 (most of them) that are being sold are all reference cards the only thing different in the bios of the cards is the vendor ID. I have checked 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

As far as I have found on the various forums , the 990FX chipset on Sabertooth and Crosshair V are the only ones, that doesn't mean the 890 is good for sure, only that no one may have tried that yet...Have to love us early adopters!

I suppose it is possible that bios versions make a difference, some of the other guys are running the same branded cards though. Previous generations worked with different brands, Crossfire works with different brands, but there is always a 1st time for everything eh?!

I will keep plugging away here with trial and error, I enjoy a challenge once in a while, frustrating as they can get! 🙂
Crosshair V
Haf X case
Phenom x4 965 @ 4150
Eco alc 240mm h20
120gb Vertex 3 MI
WD 2TB Caviar Black

HiVizMan
Level 40
Will try and duplicate - you say this only happens on AMD based motherboards?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yes BIOS can and will have a huge impact oh how graphic cards work. The key thing here is how the PCIe lane sees the cards I suspect. Will get back to you as soon as I am able to put the AMD system on the test bench.

HiVizMan wrote:
Yes BIOS can and will have a huge impact oh how graphic cards work. The key thing here is how the PCIe lane sees the cards I suspect. Will get back to you as soon as I am able to put the AMD system on the test bench.

I really appreciate the effort you are putting in for me here.

I tried again this morning manually running through the registry and system removing every reference to amd/ati, and removing the nvidia drivers and then reinstalling the motherboard and 3.24 drivers.

Using the default settings of auto on physyx(have also tried cpu, and disabling), it has chosen card 2 for that. I tried disabling FXAA.

GPUZ see's both GPU's in PCIe 2.0 x16 lanes
It also tell me they are in SLI mode

All information is the same in GPUZ except the bios versions

MSI displays 80.04.09.00.01 (p2002-000)
Asus : 80.04.09.00.0f (p2002-000)

Subvendor MSI : Nvidia (10DE)
ASUS : Asus(1043)

Being both reference cards, a person could end up flashing 1 of them to match if that is what it comes down to, but with 2 reference cards, A guy would think they should play nice together... (Famous last words!?)
Crosshair V
Haf X case
Phenom x4 965 @ 4150
Eco alc 240mm h20
120gb Vertex 3 MI
WD 2TB Caviar Black

Just tried 1 last thing, had an older Raptor kicking around, so formatted it, did a vanilla install with fresh drivers, no Fix 😞

From the various forums i am following, it is affecting AMD 9xx series chipset owners, several Sabertooth, 1 Crosshair V(me) and one MSI GD80

So far, I have tried different PSU's, SLI bridges, card locations on my mobo, different cable combo's, DVI & DP, different drivers, bios, and a clean OS install. Different Physx settings, with and without FXAA, with and without Vsync, adaptive vsync. CPU overclocked as it has been over a year, and also with it running at stock settings. Tried pulling a couple sticks of ram(it did pass memtest)

As I mentioned previously, my board bios see's both cards in PCIe 2.0 x16 slots, GPUZ and MSI and ASUS as well as Nvidia display panel all see the SLI as successful.

It is too bad, these are phenomenal cards. 1 card alone is over 40% faster in the Unique heaven benchmark, and is noticeably smoother in SWTOR than my Cross-fired pair of 6950's were/are.

Down to 1 card again atm so I can actually play games 😞 ...Holding out hope that the ROG gang can figure something out for us.

As a side note, got a call from the store manager I bought this from, he's been very supportive about this, and it's much appreciated. He's willing to do whatever it takes to resolve this, even in a worse case going back to AMD and 7970's...

Ivy Bridge is launching in the next week I understand ... Will have to see how that performs...it may just be time to upgrade the rest of the platform. I may have a decision to make shortly if we/I can't resolve this...

It is often difficult to find good support these days it seems. I'm very glad I found ROG, and Memory Express! Thanks to HiVizMan and Paul both for their efforts 🙂

Kar/Kev
Crosshair V
Haf X case
Phenom x4 965 @ 4150
Eco alc 240mm h20
120gb Vertex 3 MI
WD 2TB Caviar Black

HiVizMan
Level 40
So noted - should have some news for you by morning my time. So hold tight for now.