cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R4E ROG Connect and OC Key without Windows

MK500
Level 7
I run non-windows OS on my Rampage IV Extreme most of the time (Linux). I hoped that I could still use ROG Connect or OC Key to remotely monitor and control my R4E machine from a Windows laptop or from the keyboard. Is this possible?

I am able to connect a monitor to the OC Key and see the basic info, but I cannot access the menus. When I briefly push the button on the back, it does not give keyboard control to the OC Key -- keystrokes are still sent to Linux. Does the OC Key only work when Windows is installed on the R4E?

I haven't tried the ROG Connect cable to the Windows laptop because reading the instructions it says you need to install software on the "local PC". This software is Windows only.

I'm also curious about using my iPad with the bluetooth to control my machine, but it sounds like you also need to install Windows software to use this. Is this right?

I'm not sure it is accurate to call these services "purely hardware level" when they require a Windows OS and special software running on it in order to remote control.
5 REPLIES 5

aznsteil
Level 7
Hey maybe this help,

• Put your keyboard into the white (!) usb port
  • Then press the RoG Connect button for three seconds. The OC Key Menue appear.
  • Wait(!)
  • If after 1 minute the keyboard does not react, push the rog connect button (short) again
  • Now your keyboard should be disconnected from your os and connected to the oc key menue

Works for me fine. Please feedback.

Greetings aznsteil

HiVizMan
Level 40
The overlay is independent of the OS I think. You should have direct control if you have a keyboard connected directly to the dongle - and another connected to the in/out port.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

aznsteil wrote:
Hey maybe this help,

• Put your keyboard into the white (!) usb port
  • Then press the RoG Connect button for three seconds. The OC Key Menue appear.
  • Wait(!)
  • If after 1 minute the keyboard does not react, push the rog connect button (short) again
  • Now your keyboard should be disconnected from your os and connected to the oc key menue

Works for me fine. Please feedback.

Greetings aznsteil

Thanks aznsteil! I am feeling very stupid for missing that in the manual. You must use the white port to get keyboard access, and I had my keyboard connected near the PS/2 port. It is working now.

HiVizMan wrote:
The overlay is independent of the OS I think. You should have direct control if you have a keyboard connected directly to the dongle - and another connected to the in/out port.

Thanks HiVizMan! When you said "keyboard connected directly to the dongle", I think you mean the white port on the motherboard. The USB port on the dongle is only for updates; and doesn't seem to do anything if I try connecting a keyboard.

This is very useful. Now I have a separate keyboard connected just to the white port and I can have the OSD working while also using another keyboard in the OS!

The only problem is that the OC Key seems to be very picky about displays. It will run on a display all by itself, but it appears to need a minimum resolution. I tried to dedicate a 1024x768 LCD to it, but the LCD told me display out of range.

It kind of works on my 1600x1200 Dell 2001FP normally connected to the computer in regular overlay mode, but I get a flicker on the screen every few seconds. I replaced all cables, and this doesn't happen on the monitors I was using when testing the system on the bench (a newer HP 1920x1080 model).

Thanks again for all of your help!

aznsteil
Level 7
You are welcome 🙂

Although you should't change a running system, I advice you to upgrade your OC Key firmware to 1013, if It's not already. I did and it still wroks fine.

Greetings aznsteil

HiVizMan
Level 40
Thanks to both of you - aznsteil for the clear instructions and to MK for picking up an error I made.

Thank you both.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.