cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7970 Won't boot in PCI-E Gen 3 mode

SneakyBushNinja
Level 7
Hello,

I have an HD 7970 DirectCUII card which was purchased today. I've installed it into my Sabertooth X79 motherboard (which currently had an HD 6800 series card working in it) and it failed to boot in PCI-E Gen 3 mode. I ended up having to put the 6800 back in to get into the BIOS and set to PCI-E Gen 2 mode. Upon doing that the card works as expected (Using the Asus driver, the current AMD provided driver produced strange artifacts).

I'm kind of at a loss as to how to get this card working in PCI-E Gen 3 mode. I even tried setting 2 of the x16 slots to gen 2 and just one slot to gen 3 with no luck.

Thank you in advance for any support.
11 REPLIES 11

HiVizMan
Level 40
All you should do is reset your BIOS back to default and Gen3 will be back as per normal.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I'm not having any difficulty setting the slot to PCI-E gen 3, or even using it in that mode with a 6800 series card. It's when it's in PCI-E Gen 3 mode and there is a 7900 card in there (only gen 3 card I own or I'd try another) the system produces a beep code of one long and 3 short (if I recall correctly). I looked up the beep code and it just said that something is wrong with the video....

Kipper
Level 10
Just a thought, are you using the latest driver, 12-3 I believe.

Kipper wrote:
Just a thought, are you using the latest driver, 12-3 I believe.

I'm using the latest driver from support.asus.com, the latest driver from the AMD website produces hardcore artifacts in DX 9 and 10 games. However, this is very much pre-32bit mode where the driver would come into play, as it happens right at boot and prevents the POST from completing.

stitch
Level 9
So it isn't POST-ing, it's beeping... Are you sure you're in the correct slot? Likely the very top PCIe 16x slot? If yes, it could be a BIOS issue, set it back to PCIe 2.0 and check to see if there is an updated BIOS for your motherboard for this issue.
Windows 11 Pro | ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI | AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6400 | ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 4070 TI

stitch wrote:
So it isn't POST-ing, it's beeping... Are you sure you're in the correct slot? Likely the very top PCIe 16x slot? If yes, it could be a BIOS issue, set it back to PCIe 2.0 and check to see if there is an updated BIOS for your motherboard for this issue.

I have tried it in multiple slots with multiple settings. I'm just going to throw this out here... it IS a BIOS issue, I established this in my first post. I also established in my first post that by setting the slot' link speed to PCI-E Gen 2, it works, if I set it back to Gen 3, it doesn't post and provides the beep code.

I am using the Asus Sabertooth X79 board with BIOS revision 1009. I did however just notice there is now BIOS revision 1104 available on your site, so I will give that a try.

SneakyBushNinja wrote:
I have tried it in multiple slots with multiple settings. I'm just going to throw this out here... it IS a BIOS issue, I established this in my first post. I also established in my first post that by setting the slot' link speed to PCI-E Gen 2, it works, if I set it back to Gen 3, it doesn't post and provides the beep code.

I am using the Asus Sabertooth X79 board with BIOS revision 1009. I did however just notice there is now BIOS revision 1104 available on your site, so I will give that a try.

I have just finished flashing my BIOS and re-doing all of my settings. The card now appears to be working correctly at PCI-E Gen 3 settings.

Thank you for all of your help,

-Wes

stitch
Level 9
As an old hand at system troubleshooting, checking to see if you have tested something specifically allows us to better understand how you've gone about things. Now that you've confirmed that clearly, yeah, it definitely does look like a BIOS issue is the source of your grief.

It also looks like they've had BIOS issues with PCIe 3.0 Support in general, so you may not be alone there.

Just a note, as far as I can tell, ASUS reps aren't plentiful so you're mostly going to deal with other end users for support when going through this forum.
Windows 11 Pro | ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI | AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6400 | ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 4070 TI

stitch wrote:
As an old hand at system troubleshooting, checking to see if you have tested something specifically allows us to better understand how you've gone about things. Now that you've confirmed that clearly, yeah, it definitely does look like a BIOS issue is the source of your grief.

It also looks like they've had BIOS issues with PCIe 3.0 Support in general, so you may not be alone there.

Just a note, as far as I can tell, ASUS reps aren't plentiful so you're mostly going to deal with other end users for support when going through this forum.

Sorry if I came across rude, I thought all the mods here were Asus reps.

As an aside, the card is still running at PCI-E 2 according to GPU-Z, but I'm not overly concerned. It was more out of curiousity than anything after the hour of pulling my hair out thinking I got a DOA card, or damaged my board somehow while lowering the 3 slot beast into the case.

Thank you again for your help, it's a very nice and helpful forum you guys have here which I've lurked some very good info out of over the years.