cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G60Vx headphone jack stuck "on"

Retired
Not applicable
Usually, when you plug headphones into the headphone jack, the Realtek icon will pop up a balloon saying "INFORMATION: You just plugged a device into the audio jack".

Suddenly, these balloons have ceased. The Realtek control panel shows the headphone jack as "occupied" all the time, regardless of whether or not anything is plugged into it.
The laptop speakers will not work at all (except to play the Asus sound right at bootup, so I know the speakers themselves are still functional.)

Is there any way to "reset" the headphone jack?
13 REPLIES 13

Retired
Not applicable
Same thing has happened to my G60. I talked to support and they want me to send it in. Which really sucks as everything else is perfect and I just got the laptop exactly how I want it. Any replies or fixes to this would be amazing.

Retired
Not applicable
I found a message board post in which someone with a similar Asus/Realtek combination managed to fix the problem by rolling back the BIOS somehow. This also involved a complete Windows reinstall. This isn't really an acceptable solution for me, so I'm continuing to search, but I can certainly say this is one of the problems with buying a laptop, and evidently no manufacturer is immune from these kinds of gruesome bugs. I just wish someone at Asus or Realtek would prioritize fixing this one without having to resort to a nuclear option.

Retired
Not applicable
So can a moderator replay to this please. If you google this laptop you will find that this is a known issue. So theoretically there should be a known solution. I mean its not like your busy moderating other threads as this entire forum is a waste of space that no one even visits.

Retired
Not applicable
Hello I registered on this site just for this particular issue. I have the Asus G60jx with the same particular problem. The headphone jack sensor or whatever it uses is stuck on, it started 3 days ago. As I speak right now i just got done with a full factory reset but that didnt fix the problem which makes me think its a hardware issue. I thought the Realtek software was causing the issue but apparently not, I uninstalled it but the issue is still not fixed. I hope there is an easy fix rather than to send it back for repair as I have no waranty on this,its over.

Chrismichaeld wrote:
... this entire forum is a waste of space that no one even visits.

Yeah! I've always suspected @chrsplmr just logs on using different accounts and just writes these threads all by himself! But I've never been able to prove it...
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

IMHO the problem is obviously hardware (happens both in linux and windows for example).

Therfore, I bought this: http://www.pchub.com/uph/laptop/662-86243-8298/Singatron-Length18mm-Jack-Audio-3.5mm.html, and changed the jack; unfortunately, it didn't solve the problem. I can still hear as I used to so it seems my soldering is not very likely to be the problem.

It could be some other problem with the whole little board; it's more expensive, but can be found; for example here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-69N0E0B10D01-01-USB-audio-jack-board-G60VX-G60V-G50V-G51V-G51VX-G60J-G5....

So this post is out of frustration and a heads up for those of you like who might think that changing the jack will solve the problem. Of course, it is possible the new jack was broken, that my soldering was bad in one of the many connectors, etc. It could also be that I get the same symptom but the problem is different in my computer than in others. Just my 5 cents...

If anyone finds a solution, please post. If the moderators know of any way in which tech support learned to solve the problem, please let us know.

One more solution for that problem can be found here:
http://code.google.com/p/asus-audio-hack/

The solution is very good for windows. I still have the issue in linux and there is no good way to force the activation/deactivation through software that I know of; anyone has a solution?

Retired
Not applicable
So from what I understand the issue is the pin in the headphone jack bends in a way that makes the laptop think it has headphones plugged in. There is a solution but it is not safe in my opinion. It is simple though. http://forum.notebookreview.com/5879478-post337.html

I am not a developer but I would guess that this could be fixed with a driver or sound tool that makes audio come out of the speakers while its coming out of headphones/external speakers. Basically skipping the jack input all together