Thread: Slow gtx 550ti?

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Slow gtx 550ti?

I use my gtx 550ti for folding and usually its been fine, getting about 5k points for a 4-8 hour fold, however since last week i have noticed that now each project for it will take 1.2 days and for 7k points. Im not sure if maybe folding increased the difficulty or perhaps it is a problem on my end? I have the latest video driver and latest folding version so im not sure where the problem could lie on my end.

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this same problem with a same or different video card? Right now because of this my cpu folding brings in about 6x as many points as my gpu does each day

Lately, about every other day now i will leave my computer to fold while im at school and the gpu folding will either say that it failed or it will just say that the time until its done folding in unknown and it wont fold.
    Last edited by Karmageddon; 04-20-2012 at 04:43 PM.

My Build

I7 3730k at 4.7 ghz
    H100
    16gb Corsair Dominator GT RAM at 1866 mhz
    2 x Asus GTX DCU2 670's overclocked at 1258 mhz
    1 x 1tb Storage Drive
    1 x 2 tb Game Drive
    1x 60 gb SSD Boot Drive
    CoolerMaster HAF X
    Kingwin Lazer 1000w

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Stuck in Gilligan's Island and don't know how to get out... U.S. islands...

Um... I'm unfamiliar with folding ... sorry... lol What is folding exactly? I'm kind of in the learning curve here.. lol

If you mean using 2 or 3 display LCD or using 3-way SLI GPU for folding then okay... I have a fold set up but it's a old office PC from Dell micro ATX... which I'm only using for internet use not gaming use lol So no important data only for surfing the web...

Which I don't exactly what your saying on that last sentence... please enlighten me... >,<
    ASUS Entheustic <3r MOBO RIG: First RIG first custom built myself...
    Antec Darkfleet-80 (Antec said it's a new Full Tower ATX.. and also said copied from other ATX..) / Rampage 4 Extreme / Intel i7-3820 (hope to upgrade to i7-3960X but cannot afford on budget atm...) / EVGA 560 Ti OC 256-bit 1GB 4-way SLI Kingston XMP 8 GB 2400 mhz DDR3 / Cool Masters 1000w PSU / Phantek European design Heatsink for LGA 2011 /ASUS Blu-ray Drive / Seagate SSHD 500GB Momentus XT Win 7 64-bit Ultimate / AutoCad2000

Quote Originally Posted by Xtreme-Performance View Post
    Um... I'm unfamiliar with folding ... sorry... lol What is folding exactly? I'm kind of in the learning curve here.. lol
    go to this link and you can read up more on folding.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Which I don't exactly what your saying on that last sentence... please enlighten me... >,<
    Sometimes after my computer has finished 1 gpu fold, it will try to start another fold, but it will fail and just continue folding with the cpu

My Build

I7 3730k at 4.7 ghz
    H100
    1 x 1tb Storage Drive
    1 x 2 tb Game Drive
    1x 60 gb SSD Boot Drive
    CoolerMaster HAF X
    Kingwin Lazer 1000w

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist's Avatar

It could be a different WU type. I would make a note of the project number and if things change for better or worse see if it changes.

If you suspect your rig has changed you could try running some benchmarks and comparing them to other people with the same card. If they are very different then I would try a system restore or cleaning out & reinstalling the driver.

If you are seeing failed WU's then you might try deleting and reinstalling the folding client and/or work folder. Deleting the work folder will cause it to download again but it will cause a failed WU so don't do it too much.
    ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z Intel 2600K DangerDen cooling 8GB G.Skill Trident
    ASUS GTX670 Patriot PyroSE SSD Antec Signature 650 PSU Antec Mini P180 [ ASUS G73JH ]

Folding@Home - Join us!

Hopefully getting a direct cu2 680 within the next month or 2, so i'll see if i sill have the same problems with it. Chances are i wont fold much anyway since its starting to become quite warm here already and the last thing i need is my room to be at 90 Fahrenheit +
    Last edited by Karmageddon; 05-03-2012 at 08:09 PM.

My Build

I7 3730k at 4.7 ghz
    H100
    1 x 1tb Storage Drive
    1 x 2 tb Game Drive
    1x 60 gb SSD Boot Drive
    CoolerMaster HAF X
    Kingwin Lazer 1000w

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Stuck in Gilligan's Island and don't know how to get out... U.S. islands...

Quote Originally Posted by Karmageddon View Post
    go to this link and you can read up more on folding.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Sometimes after my computer has finished 1 gpu fold, it will try to start another fold, but it will fail and just continue folding with the cpu
    Thank you very much... yeah I'm out of groove... I don't check online stuff much... because I'm trying to re-learn custom build... my first RIG... And researching business markets that I'd like to pursue invest on... I'd appreciate the heads up...

Yeah lately I've been folding a lot lol... my first Rig and all and my 2nd overclocker PC... 1st was from ibuypower with NZXT ASUS P5N-D... And that's how I got into ASUS... So I'm at a learning curve of trail and error like everytime I overclock my CPU by enabling CPU Level UP on R4E it folds or crash... when I play Skyrim it folds or crash cos not enough power consumption... I need to get an adapter for my Cool Master PSU 1000watts... I require more 4 pin molex for GPU and 7 Fan for my Darkfleet-85 PC case...

I'd probably do better if I had a 1500watts and a COSMOS II PC case... but way out of my price budget range...
    Last edited by Xtreme-Performance; 05-10-2012 at 08:32 PM.
    ASUS Entheustic <3r MOBO RIG: First RIG first custom built myself...
    Antec Darkfleet-80 (Antec said it's a new Full Tower ATX.. and also said copied from other ATX..) / Rampage 4 Extreme / Intel i7-3820 (hope to upgrade to i7-3960X but cannot afford on budget atm...) / EVGA 560 Ti OC 256-bit 1GB 4-way SLI Kingston XMP 8 GB 2400 mhz DDR3 / Cool Masters 1000w PSU / Phantek European design Heatsink for LGA 2011 /ASUS Blu-ray Drive / Seagate SSHD 500GB Momentus XT Win 7 64-bit Ultimate / AutoCad2000