cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using two GPUs on P8P67

Retired
Not applicable
I recently bought a socket 1155 P8P67 motherboard. I installed, setup and overclcoked using my Asus 470 in the first PCI-E slot (the card is running at x16).

After everything was done, I wanted to put in a second graphic card (my 8800GT). If I put it in the second PCIe slot, I get no display when I boot up the system.

The hDD light flickers, my keyboard/mouse lights flicker, so I know the system is booting into windows, but its as if the motherboard doesn't know which graphic card to give display via.

I tried the original BIOs firmware that came with the motherboard, and also updated to the newer beta BIOS.

Yesterday, I tried switching the order of the graphic cards, but instantly, before POST, the motherboard made a very loud, screeching noise. I instantly shut off the PC, and put the 470 back to the first slot and its working fine since, but I need to know how to use two GPUS.

Is there a BIOS setting I'm missing?
5 REPLIES 5

xeromist
Have you tried connecting a monitor to the 8800GT to see if Windows switched to using that as the output?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
I did try doing that too, but I still get no display. I do not even see the motherboard splash screen. I am certain it is POSTing as well a booting, I just can't see it happen though.

xeromist
Hrm, that is strange. The only thing I can think of is to try all ports on both cards to see if it switched to a secondary port or something like that. Your board doesn't have integrated graphics so I don't think there are any video related settings that you would have to change.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
I'll try playing around with the PCI-E / GPU combinations.

Also, I'm still confused about the extremely loud screeching, whining sound that the motherboard made when I switched the 470 to the second PCIe slot and put my 8800 in the first. I'll try that again too and see if I can recreate the noise.

xeromist
I'm not sure of the exact sound but if you do not remember to plug in one of the power connections (or it is loose) the GPU will alarm to let you know. So it might not have been the slot arrangement, just a power issue.