cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75 - first review

mjf
Level 7
Hi guys,

I guess I am not the only one awaiting the arrival of the G75. I just found the first review online:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-G75V-Notebook.73636.0.html

I desparatley want to through my money at a company for my new gaming laptop, but my main concern is always the noise those laptops create. Asus and his G series has the good reputation of being quite, thats why I am a bit confused about the noise-level in the review.

I hope its only because of the pre-version those guys tested...

If you find any other reviews online, feel free to post them here 🙂

EDIT: Seems like not a lot of reviews are coming in although its already available. Here are some Benchmarks I found (German wording ahead, but you get the idea). Mind that its also the pre-model, as described in the review above:
http://www.notebookjournal.de/tests/laptop-review-asus-g75vw-ivy-bridge-i7-3720qm-geforce-gtx-670m-n...

mjf
43 REPLIES 43

Zygomorphic
Level 17
I have the G53 and it is almost totally silent. Let's be honest, the G-series lappy's are less noisy than the macs. In part, because you have to run a mac on a cooler, which adds a lot of noise. To tell the truth, your chair probably makes more noise when you move it than a G75 would.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

zsld0423
Level 9
Even though it's not a huge jump, I almost wanna sell my G74 to get the G75 😛
Sager NP9370
256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 750GB 7200RPM Secondary HDD
nVidia GeForce GTX 680M 4GB VRAM
Intel Core i7-3630QM 2.40GHz
16GB RAM
Mouse: MadCatz R.A.T. 7
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa Mirror
Additional Monitors: 24" 1080p Insignia LED/LCD TV and 21" Acer LCD Monitor
Windows 7 Ultimate

Aras
Level 7
Mjf thanks for that review now is time to find performance with GTX 660

fostert
Level 12
Nice...88% by those guys is really top shelf. Interesting that they mention that their Ivy Bridge sits between the Sandy Bridge core i7 2920XM & 2960XM (in terms of clocks), two CPUs which one can drop into the G74 (the same socket as for the 2630 ands 2670QM processors). With the release of IB those SB CPUs may come down to earth in terms of price, and make for an easy future upgrade for G74 owners trying to extend the performance of their beast to bridge them until the G76!

Edit: and the G75 still throttles under load! Prepare for more BIOS modding...
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

I am really excited now as well, but a few questions (of course) remain:

-> Will the non-3D version support Optimus?
-> Performance of true kepplar nvidia cards
-> Display quality of non-3D displays
-> noise level (!! - most important for me, although I know that G-series is the best, but I expect some improvement by the keplar cards since they use less power - less heat - less fan noise)

Hope I find new reviews soon, hardwareluxx said they are preparing one as I type.

2 general questions:

1. Is it advisable to purchase the G75 as soon as it comes out? If not, how long should one roughly wait until all the issues are addressed with the new technology? Long story short, my current laptop has recently become very troublesome and its really not helping with my project writing so I am in a little rush to get a new one.

2. Will this model be accessible in the UK? If not, are there any US-based companies that will ship it to London?

Thanks in advance

DarkHades wrote:
2 general questions:

1. Is it advisable to purchase the G75 as soon as it comes out? If not, how long should one roughly wait until all the issues are addressed with the new technology? Long story short, my current laptop has recently become very troublesome and its really not helping with my project writing so I am in a little rush to get a new one.

2. Will this model be accessible in the UK? If not, are there any US-based companies that will ship it to London?

Thanks in advance

Hi

Not sure which notebook you have now, but have you tried to fix the issues you got?

About the purchase of the new G75, I can not see any issues with buying it as soon it comes out. If Asus have listened to us here, then a lot of issues will be gone aka fixed! 🙂

If you stumble on issues with the new notebook, then you can always come here and let us know about it, and we will help you out best as we can to get the issue fixed 🙂

I don't see why it shouldn't be available in UK. You can buy the G53 and G74 in your country right? 😛
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

Hey fuzon, thanks for the quick reply.

I have the Gateway P-7811 FX right now, its getting quite old and I've had problems with it since day 1, had to send it back twice to the USA with the problems not fully fixed. I think after almost 4 years its time for me to get a new one anyway.

I've been looking around and people say 29th April is the release day so I guess I will wait until then.

Regarding the UK sale, yes I can buy the G53 and G74 now, but I am not sure if its going to be available right away after ASUS has launched the product. These things are much more widely available in the States :(.

Still with the throttling? 😞

Sigh...

Does this happen with other manufacturers like MSI?

What about custom ones like Origin, Malibal?