+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Xonar Phoebus Sound Card Technical Details

Not to be taken seriously Raja@ASUS has disabled reputation Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Izanagi View Post
    I've noticed that both the sound cards have the same amp. Essence seems to have a higher end processor than the Phoebus; but in terms of software, the Phoebus seems to have the better software. Aside from those comparisons i was wondering about the sound quality when compared. Which one you recommend? For me i like to listen to music and play games. My only concern is that the Essence seems to be the better card for sound quality over the Phoebus. Need your insight. Thanks.
    The Phoebus is more gaming centric out of the two. Both sound good, I'd weigh up what you are going to be doing more. If it's playing games go for the Phoebus, if more music then go for the Essence STX.
    ASUS Technical Marketing

If you are located outside North America and require technical assistance or support, please contact ASUS Support for your region.

For ASUS North America Service: http://www.service.asus.com/#!contact-us/cw8z

New ROGer Choum +10

hello,

Can we have more information about Gx3.0 and eax support.

Does that mean this card will support eax 3.0 (splinter cell), eax 4.0 (hitman 2) and Eax 5.0 for older games.

All previous xonar card only have support of eax 1, 2, and 5.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Xtreme-Performance +10
    Stuck in Gilligan's Island and don't know how to get out... U.S. islands...

So if it's you'd want both... but I guess like you'd say which is more important gaming or music entertainment...?! Hmmm... that's a toughie... Would you recommend Pheabus a audiophilies or whatever that terminology is called... lol... I think I'm more of a 3Dphilies or eyecatching... myself... the better the graphics the more I'd be wanting one... lol

The Phoebus is more gaming centric out of the two. Both sound good, I'd weigh up what you are going to be doing more. If it's playing games go for the Phoebus, if more music then go for the Essence STX.
    I don't care much for Bass... but if my priority is gaming but want acoustic in gaming like listening to Bose Sound system which would you reccomend since I picked gaming... yet the kind of music I prefer to listen too is acoustic...

Sorry if I'm a little confusing... I know I can't have a quality music and 3d music... lol

Actually I do want it... cos I don't know if I should get a sound card or not... I saw some sweet digital to analog... but nah don't wanna hook up a sound system theatre for that... but if Pheabus is better for headset (since technically it's gaming then I guess it's pheabus...)
    ASUS Entheustic <3r MOBO RIG: First RIG first custom built myself...
    Antec Darkfleet-80 (Antec said it's a new Full Tower ATX.. and also said copied from other ATX..) / Rampage 4 Extreme / Intel i7-3820 (hope to upgrade to i7-3960X but cannot afford on budget atm...) / EVGA 560 Ti OC 256-bit 1GB 4-way SLI Kingston XMP 8 GB 2400 mhz DDR3 / Cool Masters 1000w PSU / Phantek European design Heatsink for LGA 2011 /ASUS Blu-ray Drive / Seagate SSHD 500GB Momentus XT Win 7 64-bit Ultimate / AutoCad2000

New ROGer Izanagi +10

Thanks for the responses. I've preordered the Phoebus already. I like both music and gaming, but more on the gaming side. If the Phoebus can give me good sound for gaming and its not bad for listening to music, I'd gladly take the Phoebus. The noise canceling mic feature is just too captivating not to have . And again thanks for the responses.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Xtreme-Performance +10
    Stuck in Gilligan's Island and don't know how to get out... U.S. islands...

Well I read they have the ASUS USB for laptops... U3 I recall? I'm wondering if I could use that for a temp. or is it only available in laptops... Well it did say USB... lol so figured it worked in desktops too... It's too bad can't use it for items like MP3 that has usb? or rather does it work also for ipad and tablets?

Sorry for the off topic.. if it has some USB in sound card I'd assume this would be applied as well? lol
    ASUS Entheustic <3r MOBO RIG: First RIG first custom built myself...
    Antec Darkfleet-80 (Antec said it's a new Full Tower ATX.. and also said copied from other ATX..) / Rampage 4 Extreme / Intel i7-3820 (hope to upgrade to i7-3960X but cannot afford on budget atm...) / EVGA 560 Ti OC 256-bit 1GB 4-way SLI Kingston XMP 8 GB 2400 mhz DDR3 / Cool Masters 1000w PSU / Phantek European design Heatsink for LGA 2011 /ASUS Blu-ray Drive / Seagate SSHD 500GB Momentus XT Win 7 64-bit Ultimate / AutoCad2000

Quote Originally Posted by Izanagi View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I've preordered the Phoebus already. I like both music and gaming, but more on the gaming side. If the Phoebus can give me good sound for gaming and its not bad for listening to music, I'd gladly take the Phoebus. The noise canceling mic feature is just too captivating not to have . And again thanks for the responses.
    I think it will do just great for you. EAX 5.0 supported, and the TPA opamps drive most cans really well including music playback. Use Hi-Fi mode for two channel music playback; that eliminates any unnecessary processing.
    ASUS Technical Marketing

If you are located outside North America and require technical assistance or support, please contact ASUS Support for your region.

Forever alone PALADiN +10

Quote Originally Posted by Choum View Post
    hello,

Can we have more information about Gx3.0 and eax support.

Does that mean this card will support eax 3.0 (splinter cell), eax 4.0 (hitman 2) and Eax 5.0 for older games.

All previous xonar card only have support of eax 1, 2, and 5.
    I always thought each new EAX revision was backwards compatible with the older ones.
    Desktop:
    ASUS P8Z68-V PRO (BIOS version 3402) | Core i5 2500K @ 4GHz | 4GB GSkill Ripjaws F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM (2x2GB) | Palit GTX 680 Jetstream 2GB | ASUS Xonar D2X | WD 1TB HDD (WD1002FAEX) | LG CH10LS20 (Blu-ray/DVD-RW combo drive) | Corsair HX650 | Samsung 2333SW @ 1920x1080 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 | Logitech G19 | Logitech G500

Laptop:
    ASUS G73JH (Core i7 720QM, 8GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD5870, 2x500GB HDD, 17.3" @ 1920x1080)

New ROGer Choum +10

There are no backwards compatibility of EAX for asus.
    80-90% of Eax games use EAX 3 or EAX 4.0.
    Eax5.0 is though openal with very few game like Bf2, bioshock, mass Effect 1, (EAX was replace by OpenAL's EFX after 5 version).

"The GX 3.0 game audio engine boosts your performance with better legacy EAX® compatibility and immersive surround sound enhancement."

So there 's nothing better when compared to the xonar.

That depends if you base your entire purchasing decision upon EAX alone. Many good new titiles don't support EAX at all and sound great anyway. The spatial effects and soundstage depend upon several factors, including SNR, output impedance, slew rate etc. The Phoebus is a step up from previous Xonar gaming oriented cards.
    ASUS Technical Marketing

do i get 5.1 - 7.1 out on optics on that card?? ( IF there IS fiber optic out at all )
    or do one have to buy the software from intel like the ch5? ( i did read that you have to ( on the forum ) )
    CPU: i5-3570K | MB: M5F | Mem: 16GB dominator platinum | GPU: 2x EVGA hydro copper 780 | SSD: 3 x OCZ 120gb | PSU: Corsair 1200i | CPU cooling: custom water cooling | Monitor: LG 47" ( main ( tv ) ), acer 24" s242hl

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast