cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Problem]G74SX-BBK7 can't flash BIOS

Retired
Not applicable
So I have been trying to flash the BIOS of my G74SX-BBK7, I downloaded the correct new BIOS file from the ASUS support website, but when I try to flash it with WinFlash it keeps saying I have the wrong file @_@ I triple checked several times and it is the right one, the only difference it shows "S" being small but it IS the RIGHT file @_@ I tried the other flash program but when I tried to install it, it gives me an error that it is for 64 bit (and again it's not!).... Anyway, I have been trying to flash the BIOS because my laptop seems to have an issue, I had a blue screen several times, usually after it goes in hibernation mode. Also it randomly freezes, I would have to "force" shut down with the power button (Very bad!) I just Now did a "clean"install of Windows 7, not with the recovery disk... I discovered several system files being corrupted, I tried to fix them in command prompt "sfc/scannow" >_> didn't work, used recovery disk, didn't work.... Clean install with official Windows 7 disk.... FIXED IT! I'm not sure if that was the problem or not, but wouldn't hurt to try.... I still have the factory installed BIOS 201 on there, sorry for the massive rant lol, I'm just clueless on how to flash BIOS...
3 REPLIES 3

gilbert
Level 10
give this a try its pretty easy.http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?11080-BrodyBoy-simple-but-effective-.pdf-guide.-on-quot-Upd...
G74SX-BBK8
i7 2670QM
16GB 1600MHz
NVIDIA GTX 560M 2GB
120GB KINGSTON HYPER X SSD
INTEL CENTRINO ULTIMATE-N 6300

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Mrs-ShadowKat wrote:
So I have been trying to flash the BIOS of my G74SX-BBK7, I downloaded the correct new BIOS file from the ASUS support website, but when I try to flash it with WinFlash it keeps saying I have the wrong file @_@ I triple checked several times and it is the right one, the only difference it shows "S" being small but it IS the RIGHT file @_@ I tried the other flash program but when I tried to install it, it gives me an error that it is for 64 bit (and again it's not!).... Anyway, I have been trying to flash the BIOS because my laptop seems to have an issue, I had a blue screen several times, usually after it goes in hibernation mode. Also it randomly freezes, I would have to "force" shut down with the power button (Very bad!) I just Now did a "clean"install of Windows 7, not with the recovery disk... I discovered several system files being corrupted, I tried to fix them in command prompt "sfc/scannow" >_> didn't work, used recovery disk, didn't work.... Clean install with official Windows 7 disk.... FIXED IT! I'm not sure if that was the problem or not, but wouldn't hurt to try.... I still have the factory installed BIOS 201 on there, sorry for the massive rant lol, I'm just clueless on how to flash BIOS...

This is some sort of glitch in Asus Live Update....many owners have had this issue recently.

Here's the good news: This Asus snafu kept you from using the risky WinFlash method for updating your BIOS. It's far safer to update it using the Easy Flash utility already built into the BIOS. Here are the instructions.

Retired
Not applicable
Thanks guys! Will try it here in a little bit 🙂 It seems a lot of people have the issues I have with the G74SX freezing after sleep/hibernation. I'm reading a thread about it now @_@