cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't adjust voltage with HD7970 DCII

anders190
Level 7
Hi!

I got my new card yesterday (ASUS HD7970-DC2-3GD5) and have been trying it out since then.

I have a small problem however. If I go into GPU Tweaks settings and enable "Overclocking range enhancement" the voltage is still stuck on 1178-1188 mV while both GPU clocks and memory clocks get unlocked (can move past 1125MHz on GPU and 6300MHz on memory).

I have been looking around a few times, enabling and disabling and such but I can't get it to unlock.

Using Catalyst 12.4 WHQL and GPU Tweak 2.0.8.3.
23 REPLIES 23

hill01
Level 7
I'm in the same situation - For me the Voltage Slider is stuck at a maximum of 1060 mV:

Also Using CCC 12.4 and Asus GPU Tweak 2.0.8.3. I tried earlier versions (2.0.7.7. and 2.0.5.3) as well, but they can't even read the gpu voltage of the card.

hill01 wrote:
I'm in the same situation - For me the Voltage Slider is stuck at a maximum of 1060 mV:

Also Using CCC 12.4 and Asus GPU Tweak 2.0.8.3. I tried earlier versions (2.0.7.7. and 2.0.5.3) as well, but they can't even read the gpu voltage of the card.

I tried the older versions as well and they can't read either GPU voltage or the temperature of the VRM. =/

Apparently Sapphire TRIXX version 4.3.0 can set the gpu voltage on my card beyond 1.060 V - however when I try to overclock I still can't get past 1100 MHz even when raising the voltage massively. Therefore I'm not sure if TRIXX actualy sets any voltages.

hill01 wrote:
Apparently Sapphire TRIXX version 4.3.0 can set the gpu voltage on my card beyond 1.060 V - however when I try to overclock I still can't get past 1100 MHz even when raising the voltage massively. Therefore I'm not sure if TRIXX actualy sets any voltages.

Nice find. I tried it too and can only undervolt from 1070 mV. Not sure if even that work though.

I might get an answer on the voltage issue from an Asus employee later today or maybe tomorrow. The lack of an official answer on these issues doesn't speak well of Asus IMHO.

There is also this thread

http://www.overclock.net/t/1248620/gpu-tweak-voltage-control-limit

on another forum with some other guy who has the same problem as we do and the already got an answer from Asus, basically saying "screw you if wanna go past this fantastically low value which is far below any dangerous voltage. However if you want to set higher voltages use other tools" - so yeah, I bet many other manufacturers are only happy to include the design and control of an asus custom pcb and VRMs into their program code. Still, if you get a better response, share it. I emailed Asus as well, but didn't get a reply yet.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Just click on the image of the lock and it will allow you to independently move the two sliders.

I assume you have enabled the advanced toggle bottom left hand side 🙂

Sorry guys but I do not have a DCII to test actually do not have any ASUS graphic cards of the seven series at all so a bit stuck.

As to official ASUS representation on this forum. There are a couple of guys who work for ASUS motherboards who are here but none from the graphic card side of things. The official ASUS staff all have the @ASUS after their names. The rest of us are just normal folks like you who visit here and help out other users. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

hill01 wrote:
There is also this thread

http://www.overclock.net/t/1248620/gpu-tweak-voltage-control-limit

on another forum with some other guy who has the same problem as we do and the already got an answer from Asus, basically saying "screw you if wanna go past this fantastically low value which is far below any dangerous voltage. However if you want to set higher voltages use other tools" - so yeah, I bet many other manufacturers are only happy to include the design and control of an asus custom pcb and VRMs into their program code. Still, if you get a better response, share it. I emailed Asus as well, but didn't get a reply yet.

Interesting comment considering how they have prepared the card for LN2 cooling and that all ref-cards actually can use up to at least 1250 mV.

I even tried flicking the BIOS-switch again and nothing. I have however got an interesting "Power Target %" but it doesn't seem to do anything and is propably a result from a bug or something. It was covering the Apply, Cancel, Default buttons as well. No matter what I tried to do with it nothing actually happened:

I really feel like returning this card right now but I will try to wait at least one more day. I have a week left for returns so I have the time but not the patience.

HiVizMan wrote:
Just click on the image of the lock and it will allow you to independently move the two sliders.

I assume you have enabled the advanced toggle bottom left hand side 🙂

Sorry guys but I do not have a DCII to test actually do not have any ASUS graphic cards of the seven series at all so a bit stuck.

As to official ASUS representation on this forum. There are a couple of guys who work for ASUS motherboards who are here but none from the graphic card side of things. The official ASUS staff all have the @ASUS after their names. The rest of us are just normal folks like you who visit here and help out other users. 🙂

Nothing happens. Can't go past 1185-1188 mV. Advance toggle is activated as well as the Range-box in settings.

True but it wouldn't hurt to check in on how their customers actually fare with their products. A simple answer from them on the voltage issue would have been nice. Should it even work? Yes or no? Ref-cards with worse cooling can do it but these can't?

Thanks for your answer though. 😃

EDIT: And yes, I have tried unlocking the GPU-Voltage lock. Nothing happens with the limit.

HiVizMan
Level 40
No stress mate I know how peeved I would be if was in your shoes and I fully agree with you about it being a good idea if one of the VGA guys did stop by every now and then.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

anders190
Level 7
I returned my card today. Asus never cared to contact me again regarding the voltage issue and I had other issues (stability) with the card.

Good luck to the rest of you.