cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

any BenQ XL2420T users here?

RonanC
Level 10
took the plunge and treated myself to this monitor, should be here tuesday 🙂

just wondering what settings people are using with it ?
17 REPLIES 17

xeromist
I started testing with one at home last week and I was actually fairly happy with the default settings. The various picture modes actually fit their named purpose better than most monitors I've seen. I haven't tried the hard switch yet though.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

RonanC
Level 10
cheers for the reply m8.

really? I read on google that most people say the settings are waaaay off on default..

xeromist
Maybe they're talking about whatever the default is the moment you plug it in? I switched to some of the other modes like gaming and put it into 3D when I looked at it. I'll admit that I still have some more testing to do as I only had a few minutes last week.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

RonanC
Level 10
ah yeah thats prob it, most likely as you changed into other modes your seeing correct picture.

this is what I have found so far on my travels for things like browsing etc,

PCM's settings:
Picture Mode= Standard
Brightness= 36 (adjust according to preferences and lighting)
Contrast= 50
Gamma Mode= Gamma 4
Red= 96
Green= 97
Blue= 100

Nvidia Control Panel:
Digital Vibrance 60%
ALSO trying bringing the brightness on Nvidia down to 40% from 50% works a treat for a sweet colour !

xeromist
Something else to note is the one I'm playing with is a TX so while the panels are the same they might have slightly different presets if the TX has a newer firmware.

RonanC
Level 10
tx panel is the same except it can do 3d over hdmi 1.4 and has emitter built in 🙂

have done alot of research and I have calibrated it correct now and the difference is NIGHT AND DAY!

1.firstly you need to change to preset mode *standard* and enter manual settings as per chart below
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm#the_database

2. download the ICC profile to desktop and right click and install.
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/icc_profiles/benq_xl2420t.icc

3. this is the tricky part and it took me a while to figure it out, make sure you follow the last part EXACTLY as it says, you need to go through the advanced dialog box TWICE so the tickbox is un-greyed.

To apply an existing ICC profile (an ICM file created by some calibration process), do the following -

Control Panel / Display / Change Display Settings / Advanced Settings / Color Management / Color Management (again!) / Devices / select one of your displays*1 / click "use my settings for this device"*2/ if necessary add the applicable profile to the "Profiles associated with this device" box using the "Add" button (if your profile is not already listed but is available somewhere on the network or computer) / click on the correct profile in that box and click "Set as Default Profile".

*1 the CM dialog boxes don't label your displays the same way as other dialog boxes, they seem to lose the manufacturer and model number info that is available elsewhere, so your ABC model nn display comes up as Display: 1. Generic PnP monitor . Also note that at least on my system, display '1' was in fact display '2' in other display settings dialog boxes, and vice versa.

*2 You would think that selecting "Use my settings for this device" would mean the Windows would use your settings for that device (display), but apparently it doesn't. It means ... well, I don't know what it means. Perhaps it means if you don't select it, even the next step (below) won't help you.

2. ENABLE CALIBRATION LOADING BY WINDOWS

Here's the hidden bit of help file...

To enable or disable calibration loading by Windows , you must be logged on with a user account that has administrative privileges.

1. Click to open Color Management.

2. Click the Advanced tab, and click Change system defaults .

3. Click the Advanced tab in the Color Management - System Defaults dialog box, and do one of the following:

To enable Windows to load display calibrations, select the Use Windows display calibration check box.

To prevent Windows from loading display calibrations (disable ICC profiles), clear the Use Windows display calibration check box.

Click Close in the Color Management - System Defaults dialog box.

Click Close in the Color Management dialog box.

Not only is it obscure, it is confused further by the fact that you are back in the same dialog box twice, but the second time it is labelled Color Management - System Defaults instead of Color Management as it was the first two times. But only on the second time is the required box enabled to allow you to tick i.e. it's a system wide setting. Easy to miss.

try it out you will be very pleased with results 😄

xeromist
Cool! I will definitely give this a shot.

I hadn't thought about it but I wonder if I can use an ICC profile to increase the brightness in 3D? You can't adjust the monitor in 3D mode so that would be nice. 🙂

just wondering if you got a chance to test settings? intrested on your feedback 😄

xeromist wrote:
Cool! I will definitely give this a shot.

I hadn't thought about it but I wonder if I can use an ICC profile to increase the brightness in 3D? You can't adjust the monitor in 3D mode so that would be nice. 🙂

RonanC wrote:
just wondering if you got a chance to test settings? intrested on your feedback 😄

I'm not sure I'm impressed. The ICC profile provided actually gave things a slightly reddish tinge for me and the overall picture seems too dark for a lit room. I don't normally play in the dark because it's harder on the eyes. I like the user mode color adjustment for the monitor itself though. I think I'll try gaming and tinker with the brightness/contrast to get it the way I want.