cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get Dual Link DVI to work on 7970 DCU II

spinalcompressi
Level 7
Hello. Looking for some help on this issue.

I got my HD7970-DC2-3GD5 today and I cannot get the DL-DVI port to go up to 2560x1600 with my Dell U3011. I stay capped at 1920x1080.

I have tried two different DL-DVI cables both of which have worked at 2560x1600 with my 6970. I have tried both BIOS switches with both cables. I have tried with same drivers and also with reinstalling drivers on both BIOS.

When using DP I can get my U3011 to output 2560x1600. However I am looking to use the DL-DVI port for my U3011 so I can use cheaper DP -> SL-DVI adapters for my secondary monitors.

Any help would be great.
5 REPLIES 5

xeromist
There is a switch on top of the card which toggles between the bottom dp and the bottom dvi dl. Either you have 4 dp 1dl 1sl or 3dp 2dl. It's in the manual.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

I have done that. That's what I meant by trying on both BIOS (guess switch is not BIOS switch?).

Have also tried Asus disc drivers as well as 12.3 and 12.4 and stacking those on top of disc drivers.

xeromist
Ah I see. I don't think it's a BIOS switch, just an electrical switch. Do you have the problem with the top port? The top DVI port should always be DL regardless of the switch. If the top port works and the bottom doesn't then there may be a problem with the switch itself but if neither links at DL then something else is wrong. If neither is doing it then do you have any other DVI sources you can test with to narrow down the source of the issue?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

AllGamer
Level 9
make sure the cable / adapter you are using have proper pin out for Dual Link DVI
as most of them are for Single Link DVI

this might help

from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

reason why i prefer HDMI, there's only 1 type of cable/adapter to worry about, instead of 6+ combinations and variations of it

spinalcompression wrote:
Hello. Looking for some help on this issue.

I got my HD7970-DC2-3GD5 today and I cannot get the DL-DVI port to go up to 2560x1600 with my Dell U3011. I stay capped at 1920x1080.

I have tried two different DL-DVI cables both of which have worked at 2560x1600 with my 6970. I have tried both BIOS switches with both cables. I have tried with same drivers and also with reinstalling drivers on both BIOS.

When using DP I can get my U3011 to output 2560x1600. However I am looking to use the DL-DVI port for my U3011 so I can use cheaper DP -> SL-DVI adapters for my secondary monitors.

Any help would be great.
i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, ASUS VG278H(3x27") & 3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(2x) 5760×1080*3D, OCZ ZX 1250W, OCZ 256GB Vertex4(2x), Seagate 3TB(6x), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600 & Z560 THX, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5, Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas, Saitek PZ35

Both DVI ports yeild the same 1080p capped results. I was under the impression that only the switchable port was dual link capable but if that's not the case then now I have two problems instead of one.

I have ruled out cables as the issue. I am using working dual link cables. Long pin without the 4 around it + all other pins. The first one is the DL-DVI cable that comes with my U3011 and the second is a Startech branded one that has a tag in bright yellow saying DUAL LINK DVI. On top of being the right cables by design, the two DL-DVI cables I own were capable of outputting 2560x1600 to my monitor from my 6970.

I have tried reseating the card, switching PCI-E lanes and clearing CMOS. No avail.

EDIT: Interestingly enough. With the switch in the SL-DVI position. All video outputs function as intended. With the switch in the DL-DVI position the correct DP port is disabled, but the DVI port remains single link.