cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motherboard Mounting Holes Issue

Nevsky
Level 7
So i noticed that the soldering bumps that are located around the screw holes for mounting the motherboard are a little flattened maybe even a bit crushed...
Is this a huge issue that i should be concerned about?
It seems that they would flatten by design to perhaps allow for a better grip of the screw?
I use motherboard washers when i mounted the board and i did not tighten the motherboard screws overly tight.
The motherboard is a RIVE4 x79, works wonderful with out a hiccup with an over clocked 3930k. i just noticed the flattened/ crushed soldering bumps, and i have not been able to find any information about it on the internet...
8 REPLIES 8

HiVizMan
Level 40
Ah think that is pretty normal. But maybe it is better if you post an image of yours you never know they might be looking different from mine.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

chrsplmr
Level 18
I would say if the board has no issues .. it is of no issue.

Did you notice this after 'you' had put the board in .. and took
out a screw for some reason... or ... did you notice this before
you 'screwed' it down originally ?

If the later .. where did you get the board ? Just Curious. (for now.)
(It sounds normal to happen the first time to me.)c.

Edit: Excellent advice HiViz .. we were typing at the same time.
OP....yea... what he said.c.

chrsplmr wrote:
I would say if the board has no issues .. it is of no issue.

Did you notice this after 'you' had put the board in .. and took
out a screw for some reason... or ... did you notice this before
you 'screwed' it down originally ?

If the later .. where did you get the board ? Just Curious. (for now.)
(It sounds normal to happen the first time to me.)c.

Edit: Excellent advice HiViz .. we were typing at the same time.
OP....yea... what he said.c.

Ah, thank you for the fast responses i will post a image in a bit. I figured it was pretty normal the soldering bumps are there to protect the PCB from being crushed during mounting. I found my 5 year old AUSU board which still runs and it s similar flattens solder bumps. The many ASUS boards i owned have been wonderful, i used a z67 gigabyte prior to my Rampage, and the bios on the gigabyte board were god awful.

I noticed that the bumps were a bit flattened before i installed it, but i did not think much of it until i removed the motherboard to re cable, and noticed that they were still there but looked even a bit flatter. I used proper paper washers when i mounted it to protect the board from the screws.

I got the motherboard at Microcenter, and i can technically exchange it for a new one, but i do not see the point of wasting a board that has worked wonderful for the last two weeks.

I'm just worried about having about running into problems if i ever have to RMA. The PCB is perfect, but I'm worried that the flattened bumpers may be construed as customer damage to the board.

chrsplmr
Level 18
Good thinking at all points.
Post the pic.
You make several very good points. The least not being .. it runs so well .. why waste that ?
For one that may be an issue .. maybe.
I was concerned that it may have been 'open box' that you were unaware of.
They dont come from the factory pre flattened ... that happens upon first screw down.
The call is yours my friend.
We all know... we put them in... take them out .. move them to differenct cases ect ect ..
it happens ...
I think a look see will tell the tale .. and you have gone the extra yard with the washers and
all... of which i have never used ... or seen .. for that matter. ever.
For myself. After a bad experience with a 'retailer' the least little thing looks out of place ..
anything... a corner folded in the book .... anything... back it goes ..
I paid for new. New it shall be. (Not to suggest that this one isnt..but..smells funny bro.)
Lets see what Viz thinks and others .. c.

I will just hold on to this baby, it has been wonderful everything works smooth as butter.

I suppose if i ever run into a RMA situation i will deal with it then.

Here is a picture of one of the mount points they all look identical

chrsplmr
Level 18
That looks like normal wear to me .. shouldnt look like that out of the box .. but.

HiVizMan
Level 40
That is normal.

And Chris I think that is after two weeks of use so not a virgin board.

But then neither are we eh?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

chrsplmr
Level 18
right... if it looked similar to that out of the box .. yep... not a virgin.. hahhaa

us? ... hahhahaa ... that horse left the barn a loooooooooong time ago.c.