cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rampage iv Extreme - EZ Plugs

mentalblock
Level 7
I am quite sure that this may have been asked about in the past, so if this is the case just please direct to the answer and I'll try and stumble on from there.

The Asus rampage iv extreme has 2 ez plug sockets. one is for a 6 pin plug to supply additional power when using 4xgpus. the other is to supply additional power to dimms. The manual makes no reference to the type of plugs that go in these sockets, nor could i find anything on the asus website.

For example, the 6 pin socket could take one side of a 4+4 plug or it an take a 6 pin plug similar to that which goes to the gpu cards. Both of these have different pin outs where the 12v and 0v rails are on opposite sides when compared to each other.

The 4 pin male socket on the board has a plastic backing that i am not familiar with (just looks like a thin plastic wall) and I cannot readily match it to most known cables (it may be that it does but i just cannot see the matching female plug).

rgds
15 REPLIES 15

Zka17
Level 16
Well, if you have a 6 pin socket, then you will connect a 6 pin plug - and not the half of the 4+4 plug... Those connectors are designed pretty foolproof, so just connect the plug which matches the socket! I guess, you can use, for the 4 pin male socket, the floppy power connector - should be part of one of the PSU cables (if not, you just need and extension/converting cable).

HiVizMan
Level 40
The 6 Pin EZ Plug is a PCIe connector

The 4 Pin EX Plug is the old stiffy drive connector that is most often found at the end of a molex 4way connector cable.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
The 6 Pin EZ Plug is a PCIe connector

The 4 Pin EX Plug is the old stiffy drive connector that is most often found at the end of a molex 4way connector cable.

re 6 pin EZ Plug ... thankyou

re 4 pin EZ Plug ... not sure what you mean ... sorry

Zka17
Level 16
Does this ring a bell?

As HiVizMan said, at the newer PSUs this connector usually is at the end of one of molex connector (those bigger 4 pin things) cables...

It is an old floppy disk power plug. Do I win?

I7 5960X/Asus RE5u3.1 -3101/64gb(16x4)@3133 @1.39V Gskill 14-15-16-36 cr2/3xTitanX/ WD RE 6.0 TB RAID 0+1/Samsung 840 Pro 256 x2 Raid 0/Samsung 850pro M.2/Asus Essence One/Corsair Ax1500 PSU /Corsair Obs 9800D case/ 3 2xRad 120x3 and 120x1/ EK MB block/AquaC Kryos CPU/Koolance GPU x2/ Bay 452x2(ver2) (2x655 serial)

Anicra wrote:
It is an old floppy disk power plug. Do I win?

it's a very start ... thankyou

Zka17 wrote:
Does this ring a bell?

As HiVizMan said, at the newer PSUs this connector usually is at the end of one of molex connector (those bigger 4 pin things) cables...

yes it does...

Zka17
Level 16
Yeap, that's the answer to mentalblock's question!

Zka17 wrote:
Yeap, that's the answer to mentalblock's question!

thank you

it appears as though just thank you is to short a phrase for the system to accept ...