cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading the G75VW

X-ROG
Level 15
http://rog.asus.com/98832012/g-series-laptops/upgrading-the-g75vw/

Upgrading the G75VW is relatively simple: you just need a Philips screw driver. It’s just one screw keeping you out of the main hatch which covers the two 2.5″ hard drive spaces, two SO-DIMM clips and one of the fan filters, as you can see below.

Flip over the notebooks and unscrew the first hatch near the front:

By removing two screws on each, the hard drives can be popped out using the pull tags. Then unscrew the old drive if there is one via its side-screws and add the new drive into the housing, before reversing the process to put it back in.

Unscrew two screws and just give it a tug to the side before lifting it out.

The housing will take SSDs, hybrid drives (like the Seagate Momentus XT) and SSDs in any mix and match configuration you desire. If you want to enable RAID0 or RAID1 for two HDD or SSD, it is available via the BIOS.

Our G75VW has two 750GB Western Digital Black HDDs fitted
From here, the left-hand fan filter is accessible for cleaning, while the right fan filter requires removing another Philips screw and accessing a smaller hatch. Just to be clear: removing these two screws does not void your warranty. Also, as you’d expect, the battery requires just flicking the clip on the base to swap it out. No screw removal required.

However for the sake of transparency to our customers, please be aware of upgrade limitations. While the G75VW has four SO-DIMM slots in total; two of which are situated underneath the keyboard and accessing them requires chassis dismantling that voids your warranty so please plan your needs carefully before you buy.

These two above will be populated first, at the factory, meaning if you buy an G75VW with 8GB DDR3 but later want 12GB or 16GB, dropping in one or two extra 4GB SO-DIMMs is a perfectly warranty-safe upgrade as this requires simply opening the base as described above. However, if you require upgrading all four SO-DIMM slots, this can only be done by unscrewing all visible screws on the base, removing the battery and optical drive, then gently separating the the motherboard tray from the keyboard. Evidently this process is not designed to be user upgradable, but if you feel you are technically adept and accept that you will not be able to return the notebook at a later date, it can be done.
107 REPLIES 107

Thx1138
Level 7
Thanks for the tutorial.

With this computer, is it easy to apply new thermal grease to the GPU/CPU, or would someone need to disassemble the entire thing?
G72GX__ GeForce GTX 260M__ 6GB RAM__ Intel Core 2 Dou CPU p8700 @2.52GHz

Thx1138 wrote:
Thanks for the tutorial.

With this computer, is it easy to apply new thermal grease to the GPU/CPU, or would someone need to disassemble the entire thing?

You would need to take apart the entire chassis, so not easy. You shouldn't need to do it in within its warranty lifetime.

When i took of my charger battery my game went lag , very lag ? why ? and my asus g75 is new , !!! please answer me and help me 😄 !

reposted in a new thread

ericewalton wrote:
reposted in a new thread

If you download win 7 home premium from one of theese sites:

64 bit:
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-65733/X15-65733.iso

32 bit
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-65732/X15-65732.iso

You need to download and make a copy of your system drivers as well on a usb/dvd.

Open hdd cover. you need to take out original hdd. replase it with your ssd. (it need to be put into slot1)
(do not put in original drive before you have finished installing windows or you will get a error upon win install.)
After install you are free to replace original hdd (put it in secondery slot)
Install all you intel, vga driver etc

Voila! 🙂
Asus G75VW-T1031V
Intel Core i7-3610QM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 670M
8 GB 1600mhz
HDD#1 -> SSD OCZ Agility3 240gb
HDD#2 -> 750gb HDD 7200rpm
HDD#3 -> 320gb WD 5200rpm (external drive mounted on back of screen with ducktape! NOT :D)

mazewolf wrote:
When i took of my charger battery my game went lag , very lag ? why ? and my asus g75 is new , !!! please answer me and help me 😄 !

As with all laptops the g75 cannot withdraw the same amount of power froma battery that it can from the charger. Rest assured there is nothing wrong.
G75vw DS71
3610QM I7
16GB Ram 1600mhz
750GB+120GB(patriot pyro)
Nvidia gtx 660m
Purple Keyboard mod
Proud Owner of a GTX 660ti DC-II

I just got a G75VW from Bestbuy that came with 8Gb of RAM, when I asked in the store about getting 16Gb instead of the 8 Gb; they told me to go buy to 8GB DIMMS and change the memory myself.

Last night I followed the steps in this guide and found out that the 8GB that have been setup are the ones that avoid the warranty if you try to change then, and also saw that there are two free DIMM slots available to be used.

Can I place my 2 new 8 GB DIMMS there or will it be a problem? I tried and got a black screen so not sure how to reset the BIOS to read the new memory.

Any advice would be very welcome!

Thanks 😄

Does the G75 fully support Sata3 Drives?

Yes. Even the older G53/G74 systems (Sandy Bridge) do.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23