cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yet another overheating g73sw

darroaxebender
Level 7
Hey there. Im now using my g73 (sandybridge) since 2010 march. I didnt use any softwares to test the temperatures of my GPU or CPU for a long time, because i was away from the computer world for a couple years until i got this laptop. As a newbie, i didnt check my temperatures for a couple months, which was quite a mistake (to trust computer manufacturers, lol).

Anyways im checking the temps for a while now and cleaning the dust out by removing the bottom part of the laptop almost monthly. My cpu temps are pretty okay, but my GPU temps are 40+ when idling and upto 86 when on load. That seems reasonable anyway though.

I'm now studying on 3d modeling so i needed a second monitor. I have plugged in my good old crt and now i'm idling on about 55-58. Which kinda seems worrying to me, and urges me to disable the second monitor when not in use.

Another worrying part is right handside of my cumpter (the part where big enter key is and area around it) is quite hot when this is happening (idling). I am used to it getting hot when it is on load but being hot at 55 celcius and while idling? Im not sure if its healthy or not.

I have been using throttlestop to measure the temps and i dont keep throttling disabled all the time to let things run cooler when i dont need it. I have asked about this in Throttlestop forums but could not get a reply yet: do TS just disable throttling when you only run it on "monitoring only mode"? I even have BD PROCHOT got a tick next to it.

Thanks for any help.
1 REPLY 1

unclewebb
Level 10
CPUs and GPUs are designed so they can run reliably at up to 100C. I agree that high temperatures can shorten the life of electronics but if it shortens the life from 100 years to only 50 years or 25 years, does anyone care about that? Probably not. My closets are full of CPUs, GPUS and other electronic gadgets that have all been overclocked and that all work perfectly fine still. Most people buy something new long before something craps out due to heat exhaustion so I don't think you need to worry about your GPU idling at 60C.

As long as you do regular maintenance and keep your heatsink and fans clean, your laptop should last a long and healthy life.

No matter how you have ThrottleStop setup, it can not prevent your CPU from throttling if it reaches the thermal throttling temperature that Intel set at the factory. Intel's CPUs are very well protected at the hardware level no matter what software you run. Thermal throttling typically happens at a core temperature of between 98C and 105C for the majority of Intel Core 2 and Core i mobile CPUs. Intel obviously has a lot of faith in their CPUs being able to run reliably at these temperatures.

At work I used to use a Dell Latitude E6410. As soon as I plugged that laptop into the docking station where it is connected to multiple monitors, it automatically disables the Nvidia GPU 2D speeds and forces the GPU to run at 3D speeds with 3D voltage even when you are doing nothing more demanding than surfing the internet or staring at the desktop. All this does is it creates a pile of extra heat within the laptop and there's no reason for it. Your Asus laptop might have a similar "feature". You can try monitoring your GPU with the GPU-Z program to see if something like that is happening to your laptop when it is idle.

As long as your laptop is running reliably at its rated speed, this is mostly just an annoyance due to poor design.