cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage III Extreme & SSD

Schu
Level 7
Hey guys,

I did some searching but was not finding exactly what I was looking for so hopefully you can help. I have just purchased a new SSD (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233208) and was doing some research before I was going to install it. I have found that people say the Marvell Controller is terrible and not worth using at all.

So my questions to the community where these.

1) Is the Marvell Controller that bad? Should I not use it at all?
2) Even if I was to use it I have read that I will never obtain the Max Read Of 555Mb/s & Max Write Of 525Mb/s
3) Should I just use the Intel Controller?
4) Has anyone bench marked both controllers with an SSD?
5) Would I even see a performance difference using Marvell VS Intel?

Thanks guy for any time and help you can give.

Thanks Again,

Andrew
5 REPLIES 5

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello Andrew

There has been so much discussion and all of it negative here on this forum about the Marvel controller and I can confirm that I personally have compared the performance with both. Stay away from the Marvel for your OS.

I use it only for my optical drives, DVD and Bluray and seldom used storage devices.

Use the Intel controller.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

So you think that even thought the Marvell controller is 6GB/s its still not worth it. As you said I have seemed to find that many people feel that it is not as good as the Intel controller.

I was just looking for the best performance and best Read/Write for my new SSD.

Thanks,

Andrew

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yes I do not rate the MC at all.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Thank you so much for your help. I got my SSD today and installed it using the SATA II controller. It runs great, and so far I am loving everything about it.

Thanks for all of your help,

-Andrew

HiVizMan
Level 40
Good to hear Andrew you take care and enjoy your system. 🙂