cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best settings for gaming

firekiller44
Level 7
Hi guys,

I just installed my phoebus and was checking out the setting, I'm a bit of a noob.

I do a lot of gaming on modern warfare 3 and was wondering if you guys can help me out: what are the settings to use for gaming ? dolby home theater v4 with the game tab?

should I enable dx button?

what does soundradar do?

Is there a tutorial that explains all the new stuff?

I had a xonar dx before and found that the best sound was with only dolby headphone enabled. My headphones are sennheiser pc350's.

Thanks!!
51 REPLIES 51

Raja
Level 13
Hi,

GX enables EAX features, use with games that support it. Sound Radar works with GX to enhance front speaker effects. EAX isn't used much now so most titles won't see any change from either of these functions.

If you want to experiment with Dolby HT then use the Game preset with headphones, it adds a bit of depth.

-Raja

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Hi,

GX enables EAX features, use with games that support it. Sound Radar works with GX to enhance front speaker effects. EAX isn't used much now so most titles won't see any change from either of these functions.

If you want to experiment with Dolby HT then use the Game preset with headphones, it adds a bit of depth.

-Raja

I can attest to the Dolby HT Game preset. It rocks in my opinion. I can hear exactly where everything is and it's approximate distance relative to other sounds. Heck, I have been accused of hacking on BF3 a little more often now since I can here around what corners people are shooting from.
Intel Core 3930K at 4.25GHz
Asus Rampage IV Extreme BIOS 1404
Crucial M4 SSD 256GB
EVGA GTX 570 SC 2-Way SLI @ 822/2000/1.038V 24/7 Drivers: WHQL 301.42
2 Caviar Black 1TB HDD
Asus XONAR Phoebus
Corsair H100 (p/p)
Corsair Vengance RAM 16GB @1600MHz
Enermax 1350W PSU
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

This has to be the most complicated sound card I have owned. What are the disadvantages / advantages of cranking the sample rate to 192 Khz and 24 Bits vs lower settings? I am mainly using the sound card for gaming.

Also, the gaming preset in Dolby HT really doesn't seem like it enables much stuff by default i.e. equalizer settings all at neutral and no intelligent equalizer enabled. Also I noticed that the default has Surround Virtualizer on for both speaker and headphones, but the levels are set to minimum meaning it probaby isn't doing much.

txfeinbergs wrote:
This has to be the most complicated sound card I have owned. What are the disadvantages / advantages of cranking the sample rate to 192 Khz and 24 Bits vs lower settings? I am mainly using the sound card for gaming.

Also, the gaming preset in Dolby HT really doesn't seem like it enables much stuff by default i.e. equalizer settings all at neutral and no intelligent equalizer enabled. Also I noticed that the default has Surround Virtualizer on for both speaker and headphones, but the levels are set to minimum meaning it probaby isn't doing much.

This really depends on the sampling rate of the source material. If it is a 16 bit 44.1KHz music then I tend to play back at that frequency - not a fan of upsampling myself. Of course, it also depends on what kind of attenuation one is using and the playback software. If however we are talking files recorded at higher sampling rates and game effects then using 24 bit makes sense.

As for your question on the red light, you can always plug some phones in and toggle between mute on/off to work that out. 😄

Raja@ASUS wrote:
This really depends on the sampling rate of the source material. If it is a 16 bit 44.1KHz music then I tend to play back at that frequency - not a fan of upsampling myself. Of course, it also depends on what kind of attenuation one is using and the playback software. If however we are talking files recorded at higher sampling rates and game effects then using 24 bit makes sense.

😄

I prefer to hear sound as it was intended too.
What is the optimal sampling for most games on the Phoebus? I use 48KHz/24-bit for AAA+ titles (Batman series, BF3, CIV5, Mass Effect series), but unsure what exactly these titles are recorded at. Thanks.
Intel Core i7-2600K @4.6GHz custom-H20 | Asus P8P67-Deluxe Rev. 03 | Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus | POV-TGT GTX680-SLI U.C. | Corsair GT 2x120GB (RAID0) | Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB @1866MHz | Corsair HX850 | HDD1: WD C.B. 2TB (games/programs); HDD2: WD C.B. 2TB (Fraps) | Win7 Home Premium x64 SP1

Would it be possible to add a box to "Play at original sampling rate". Is it possible for the driver to detect what the original sampling rate and bit depth was and just use that?

dedaciai wrote:
I can attest to the Dolby HT Game preset. It rocks in my opinion. I can hear exactly where everything is and it's approximate distance relative to other sounds. Heck, I have been accused of hacking on BF3 a little more often now since I can here around what corners people are shooting from.

Yeah I tried that out with BF3, it is quite profound.

Red light on is muted. I actually just hit the mute button from within the SW and the light came on.

dedaciai wrote:

Hi!

I'm testing too for what the best sound will be on my headphone! Sennheiser PC360. The problem I have, is losing power in the sound when I turn on Dolby HT. The sound will be more detailed (specialy surrouning sounds) but when you shoot your own gun in mw3 or BF3 its really weak (also with explosions)! In Dolby HT I only ussed the volume eqeliser and 4sure not the surround virtualisator cause it looks like walking in a big hall. You guys got some more experience?

I think the best too play with is no suround programm at all, just set the impendantie on high to get a really powerfull and detailt sound.

Jan
Coolermaster HAF 922 | Corsair PSU Gaming GS800W | Asus Sabertooth X58 | i7 950 | Corsair Dominator 12GB(6x2) 1600 MHz DDR3 CL8 | 2x Corsair Force F120 120GB 2.5" SATA2 RAID 0 | ASUS ROG GeForce GTX580 Matrix | ASUS ROG Phoebus | Sennheiser PC360 G4ME | Logitech Z5500 5.1 | Logitech G500 | Logitech G19 | Acer GD245HQAbid@120Hz