cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New hard drive, can't install Windows

Retired
Not applicable
I had to replace the hard drive because the original (Scorpio Blue) was causing problems and now Windows 7 can't find my hard drive to be able to put the OS on it. The computer knows the hard drive is there, model number, etc., I just can't put anything on it. Recovery disks don't work either. Don't assume anything is obvious, because apparently I don't know anything.
9 REPLIES 9

xeromist
So you are installing Windows from a DVD? If you have another working computer I would download and burn an Ubuntu image and give that a whirl. That will tell you whether this is a Windows issue or a hardware issue. You don't even have to install it, just see if the drive shows up.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
Ubuntu finds the drive just fine and starts to install just fine. Apparently it is a Windows problem and I've tried to run the start up repair and that doesn't fix the problem. I've tried formatting the disk and it says something about not having a bootmgr.

xeromist
How far do you get? Press any key to boot from the disc? Selecting an install location?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
I fully installed ubuntu with no problems. Are there disadvantages to using ubuntu instead of windows for gaming? I'm trying to install windows again from what Chastity posted in the application reference thread.

xeromist
Yes, most games are not compatible with Ubuntu(Linux). 😞 There have been vast improvements made in the WINE emulator to allow many games to be played but it's still not anywhere near what you can get with actual Windows. Good luck with the re-install.

Retired
Not applicable
When I get to the point where you select where to install windows it shows 2 partitions. One is around 5gb and the other one is the rest of space of the disk. Neither one of them are usable though because they aren't NTFS. I have been trying to find a way to convert them or reformat to ntfs but windows doesn't seem to recognize the drives in any way beyond the 2 partitions. What I mean by that is if I try to use dos commands there doesn't seem to be a way to target those partitions.... Did I forget something early on that created this mess or am I just unlucky?

Chastity
Level 10
If you want to start fresh with Win7, when you run the Win7 Installer, and you are at the Partition select screen, there's a button there for Tools. With that, you can select the large partition and delete it, and then install Win7 to the available free space. Win7 will then partition it for NTFS and continue to install.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Retired
Not applicable
That worked. Thank you.

Chastity
Level 10
You're very welcome. 🙂 Closed.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]