cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Live Update

TorturedBIscuit
Level 7
Can anyone tell me how I remove this program from startup? I don't need it, I don't trust applications like this, I prefer updating drivers manually. I tried run>msconfig>startup but couldn't find it there. If you could tell me where can it be found and disabled, I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance.
Currently owning: G74SX-AH71
8 REPLIES 8

kiba
Level 10
I was able to uninstall it normally from my laptops, along with most of the other bloatware. its one of the first things i do when i get a new laptop.

I dont trust it either. it kept telling me to update the bios after i had flashed to the new version (213? i think) not to mention telling me to use winflash which is completely wrong and will brick your laptop about 50% of the time it seems.

Imo, all you need from the bloatware is the atk package (the one for the fn keys, i think), power 4 hybrid, the touchpad software, and maybe the splendid utility for systems like the g73 which have a button for it. oh and also maybe the ai recovery tool.
ROG Notebooks: G75VW, G74SX, & G73JH And a gaming rig.

PILGRIM
Level 11
TorturedBIscuit wrote:
Can anyone tell me how I remove this program from startup? I don't need it, I don't trust applications like this, I prefer updating drivers manually. I tried run>msconfig>startup but couldn't find it there. If you could tell me where can it be found and disabled, I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance.

Isn't it there in the Programs and Features?..
ASUS G74SX-3DE

TorturedBIscuit
Level 7
Actually, I wanted to remove it from startup, not to remove it completely but thanks to both of you.
Currently owning: G74SX-AH71

Asus Live Update (ALU) can be found and deactivated in Accessories > System Tools > Tasks Scheduler
1. Stop it
2.Disable it
G74SX-DH73-3D

Pitcher1
Level 9
why do you want to stop ASUS life update? if you really do not need, you can uninstall from your laptop.

I read in the bloatware link (although it's from 2009) that it's buggy. However, I uninstalled it and the next time I checked, it was there again... probably after a reboot.

Honestly, I would just remove it, since it doesn't do much that you can't do on your own. Services is one place, the other is Administrative tools (Startup) and disable that service from auto-starting. You will be surprised how much clutter is in there that you can remove.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

hoagtech
Level 7
TorturedBIscuit wrote:

1> CLick the start menu and click search
2> Type "services.smc" (without quotation marks)
3> click on the "services" tab
4> Find your item by name or description. right click the running service your looking for
5> Click a drop menu box and change it from 'Automatic' > to "Manual' and end the service