cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V doesn't boot:A2 code (IDE Detect)

Clover
Level 7
Hi,i recently purchased Motherboard and i can't boot.Whenever i try to start up the computer,i can't access the BIOS or anything cause i got this error code (The mother shows the differents Q-Codes then it stays still on the A2 code,making imposible to access the BIOS .
The rest of the components are a Intel i5 2500k with a cooler master Hyper 212+MSi R6950 Twin Frozr III+A WD Caviar Black of 1 Tb +Memories G.Skill Sniper 2x4 GB+A Antec EA 650.
Thnks You in advance and sorry for my bad english.
35 REPLIES 35

texaszman
Level 7
I was stuck on the same A2 error as well - Tech Support had no clue what it was telling me or how it happened. Finally pulled everything out of the machine and rest CMOS. Finally cleared using internal graphics only.

There is a HEAP of Bios and driver related issues with this board. I am on my 2nd one - after building more than 15 boxes - most using ASUS MBs - and the Gene V is the most unstable board I have ever worked with.

Shamino
update bios

Shamino wrote:
update bios

Same problem here. Stuck at quick code A2

HiVizMan
Level 40
Are you using the on-board graphics, could you please list all your hardware and the BIOS version. Thank you.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Please see my other recent post "Q code AE" form my hardware info. My board says rev 1.01

Fat Drunk Stupid wrote:
Please see my other recent post "Q code AE" form my hardware info. My board says rev 1.01

Yip saw that and I think I replied.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Ayman
Level 10
Check your sata cables when i installed the 2 OCZ ssd i stuck on asus boot logo and got a A2 Code so i started to unplug the sata cables one by one until i find the defected cable. sharing info it may help :rolleyes:
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D.
CPU: Core i7-7700K.
Board: Asus Maximus IV Formula Z270.
VGA: Asus Strix GTX 1080.
Ram: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE LED 3000MHz.
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110.
PSU: Corsair AX860iW.
SoundCard: Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe.

I know this is not what you guys who have an M5G or an M5F that seems to be faulty want to hear but my M5G and M5F have never let me down. This is despite, since having an M5G and M5F from when they first became available in the UK. In my M5G I have swapped an Antec 920 for H100, two case swap rebuilds, a twin 570 GTX in SLI swap for a GTX560ti an i7 2660K for an i52550K swap and all this on the first release BIOS. I had seen the A2 error posted on the forum about this the M5G before and more recently about the M5F a few times so out of curiosity I set out to see if I could force this error and then fix it, mad I know but I have few systems up and running so I can play around as that is how you learn stuff with computers, try and see!

I have managed to replicate the A2 error deliberately now a number of times and fix it on both my M5 boards. It seems to me, based on my own observation, always to happen after disconnecting various hardware and then not refitting it properly, i.e. cable for SATA, GPU card, PSU 8 pin CPU and/or RAM sticks. I have deliberately then refitted these various components sloppily and by this I mean not fully fitting or snugly fitting a cable or component although they seem to be in the various sockets etc. The board is very unforgiving with these sorts of problems so my advice would be to persevere and try the good advice you get from the fantastic guys on this forum. Given that a lot of people praise this board I think it is unlikely that everyone who has a fault with their M5G actually has one that can only be resolved by RMA; although I do think that statically ASUS will have a small number of faulty boards in commercial circulation as the cost of 100% quality compliance is almost certainly to high in terms of production overheard cost and quality. A fact of the balance between modern engineering production and the profit margins. However, this said I am sorry but I just don't think the ASUS manufacturing process or quality control process can be that bad? I say this based on use and quantity! I have four ASUS boards all running at the moment in fully built up systems ( M4E, M4G-GEN3, M5G and M5F) based around commercially purchased main stream boards from SCAN UK and all working without faults and used regularly by members of my family. The M5G and M4E get hammered by my own children and teenage grandchildren who game on them at every possible opportunity, work and school work allowing. I know my comments may not be popular but that is my opinion but I do accept that others may disagree.

If this post is inappropriate or in the wrong place then I am sure a moderator will take it down.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Nope your post is not inappropriate nor in the wrong place. I thank you for taking the time to ponder and puzzle out this problem in the manner you have. I am sure what you are suggesting is the case in many instances of this error. Likewise I am sure that there are a couple of boards that have been damaged in transit from the factory or the retailer before they get to the buyer. That is the nature of modern shipping methods. Spend some time at Gatwick and watch the various large freight companies handle product and you will wonder why there are so few DOA when items finally get to the end users.

However this problem has been reported a number of time and as such deserves and will get the full attention of the ASUS team. Please do keep trying to problem solve while we wait for the guys at ASUS first replicating and then resolving these issues.

If for what ever reason the current owner find that is not possible to either resolve or wait then a RMA with the non-functioning motherboard is the logical outcome. Please do understand that the retailer will test the board, as will ASUS too. So please do make sure that you have done a proper problem solve before sending the board back. Else they will simply return the board as working. 🙂