cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G55VW and TrueCrypt with system partition encryption

JKONT
Level 7
Hi!

I would like to use TrueCrypt to encrypt my system drive. However when i try to do it, it tells me that "Your system drive has a GUID partition table (GPT). Currently only drives with a MBR partition table are supported."

So I removed the original partition table, created MBR partition table instead and then reinstalled Windows 7. However, when the Windows installed, it automatically repartitioned the drive and created 100MB "EFI System Partition" which obviously doesn't work with TrueCrypt system partition encryption.

I understood that this is because of this laptop is using UEFI.. - Is there a way to disable it? I don't need to use > 2TB drives in my laptop.

- I've been searching for alternative full disk encryption tools, but looks like there are none available..!
3 REPLIES 3

john_from_ohio
Level 11
Doesn't windows ultimate support full disk encryption? I do not think the G75VW has a TPM module so if you go that route think you need to keep a USB key around?

Windows Ultimate may support full disk encryption, but I would like to use the Home Premium that the G55VW comes with.

When searching for the solution to this problem, I found a document describing how to set the AMI bios (seems to be the same version as in my G55VW) to use "Legacy" -mode.

- However, this is a screenshot of Sun Blade server bios configuration... And there is no such option in G55VW BIOS.. Would it be technically possible to upgrade/downgrade the bios to support this mode on G55VW..? This might might be a solution to my encryption problem..

Well under the Boot mode tab ( can get there after restart when you hold down F2 ) there is an option UEFI Boot that by default is apparently enabled.

If you change that option to Disabled is that the same thing as legacy?

Not sure man ... it seems fairly similar to the screen shot you provided just wording is slightly different.