cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G74sx-91234z-Asus live update result in screen resolution problem!! Advise pls ,

surya_schwarzen
Level 7
Hello guys two days before while i am working in my laptop the live update started showing the command prompt and restarted two time after that i found the screen resolution changed and the graphics too looked dull.
I changed the screen resolution to 1280 and 1080 but still the issue remains same.when i enter to to yahoo.com it asking to change set the screen resolution to 1080 and 600 pixels or more,even though the screen resolution set to the highest it appears to be low.
A quick google search suggests to double click the LiveUpt on the asus live update folder ,tried that nothing happening,so i tried to system restore by deactivating the antivirus and firewall,system restore not happening.
It says,Unspecified error accured during system restore(ox80070005).

Any advise and suggestion much appreciated guys.

Thanks's
17 REPLIES 17

Flerenzo
Level 7
My resolution used to be 1920 by 1080 and after the update its max is 1280 by 1080. I am having the same issue and I can't seem to change my color scheme or anything. Some of my games will not run due to this problem either. Please fix this soon. :mad:

What type of update was it? If it was a video card driver, boot into Safe Mode, uninstall it, and reinstall a new one from nVidia's website. Corruption in video card drivers can cause all sorts of heinous problems.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

I have this same problem... I had this update coming two days ago, and it began restarting the computer without asking... I had a game (diablo 3) running at fullscreen at that time, and when the update began to close it, the screen resolution got really bugged up. Everything in my screen grew up in size and when i tried to put the resolution back to normal (1920x1080) i couldn't, because the max was 1280x1080, and with this resolution, nothing could work properly...
Then i tried to restore the system to a previous windows update... It looked like it worked (screen resolution was normal) but something was still wrong: Flash didn't work correctly and java didn't work at all, even after reinstalling... Any help?

dstrakele
Level 14
Here's What You Need to Do to Recover From This Issue

If I were in that situation, I would try a Windows System Restore to restore my system to a time before the updates occurred. See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/system-restore to learn how this built-in feature of Windows 7 can help anyone recover from the issue in this thread.

If that failed, I would restore the Windows System Image from the last backup I made prior to the updates. Don't run Scheduled Backups y'say? Well give it some thought. It can save you from having to post your tale of woe in this forum.

If Windows System fails and you don't have a backup, uninstall the video driver from "Control Panel - Uninstall a program", REBOOT, use Driver Sweeper to remove any video driver remnants, then boot into Safe Mode and reinstall a known stable version of the video driver.

This doesn't fix ASUS Live Update, of course. But any utility that reboots your system without warning should be uninstalled. You can take charge of updating your own system.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

I have this problem as well.

What is occuring is the Asus live updater is attempting to udpate the NVIDIA graphics card drivers (at least in my case) however it never seems to complete.

Rebooting sometimes addresses the resolution problem, sometimes it doesn't. I've let it run for a while with no changes. I downloaded the drivers from the update page, however if I run them I get an error stating "Installation already in progress unable to install".

I'll keep messing with this and see if I can make any progress.

After waiting and trying several times the installation finally "completed'. I then proceeded to play Diablo 3. At this point I began to experience some very strange frame rate lag or "Stuttering".

I figured the driver install didn't take well so I installed the drivers manually (downloaded from the ASUS driver page). Restarted the computer and played some more. Same problem.

I'm downloading the drivers directly from NVIDIA atm and will install those next to see if it ultimately resolves the issues.

Yeah... nothing seems to work to this problem... the asus live update won't even open with my computer... i just hope asus will notice this problem and do SOMETHING...

did u try downloading the latest drivers from nvidia website and performing a clean install? (custom installation and tick clean install)

also I would recommend to uninstall Asus live update... there is a chance it tried to update the BIOS... I don't think this is the problem so try to do what I said first... if that doesn't work a BIOS update from the setup using easy flash may be a solution

Hello Guys Good News!!!

Just download and installed this driver ,it said not able to install and require restart when i did restart everything became back to normal.
http://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDownload-March2009/confirmation.php?url=/Windows/296.10/296.10-n...

Hope it will help you guys.Good Luck.