cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V gene won't boot

echomatrix
Level 7
Greetings, I have a new Maximus V gene, with new Ivy bridge, and a AX750 power supply. I plug everything in correctly (i think) and it wont boot up. The red lights around the sound chip light up but no fans run or nothing. I've seen other people with this build but what gives? other than the lights, I get no error codes, no light flickering on the case, etc. Thin kits mobo or PSU related? AX750 is a decent psu so I dont htink it's that.
48 REPLIES 48

echomatrix
Level 7
Anyone? I dont htink its a driver or BIO thing because nothing except those lights come on..

8_Pack
Level 12
Have you made all power connections including the 4 / 8 pin behind the CPU socket?? Could you possibly try another PSU???

If this does not work. Remove CPU and check the socket, remount the cooler , dont overtighten it. reset bios and try boot with only one stick of mem and graphics attached to the board. Post back with problems or error codes.

Good luck!!!!

Hi there all,

I have exactly the same issue just got the mobo 4 days ago. I am running intel i5 3570k, seasonic 750 m12II
And a sphire 7850oc. There is light when power on the main psu but cant get it to start.

Apparently remove all the power sockets to my hdd n grafix. It startup but i shut it down try to start it up again
It can. Then remove the switch connectors and fix bk all the power sockets it starts then try shut it dwn again
The same thing happen... Is it the mobo itself or my switch connector. I am using a lian li 04b casing.... Nd help

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please do make sure you follow the set up guide for your cooler very carefully. All it takes is for a little uneven pressure to cause the pins in the socket are to slide off the corresponding pads at the bottom of your CPU. Results in a no post every time.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I've got the same issue with my Maximus V Gene: a system with lights, but no boot or even post. I have a Seasonic 750W power supply, Core i7 3770k, and Antec P280 case. It booted once three days ago, but hasn't since. The power supply just clicks when I try to turn the system on. I swapped the power supply out with a known-working 650W Corsair: there the power supply and CPU fans barely start spinning, but the system still doesn't fully power on. I've tried reseating the CPU and cooler, with no change.

At this point I'm thinking that the motherboard is dead. I'm probably going to RMA it.

Zka17
Level 16
Also, using a PSu tester would be a good idea... specially in sryoo's case... or even try to swap the power cables...

HiVizMan
Level 40
Remove your motherboard and place on the box it came in. Now connect the bare minimum of hardware to boot into BIOS.

Clear CMOS with the battery out once the board is out of the case and bare of any components.

Take your PSU out the case and connect each cable only after inspecting the termination connectors for damage. Once you are sure that the PSU and motherboard power connectors are good power up.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

have you guys tried to unplug the mpcie combo card? it worked for me the first time.

X-III wrote:
have you guys tried to unplug the mpcie combo card? it worked for me the first time.

Darn I keep forgetting about that thing.

Yes please do inform us if you guys with the problems have the mPcie card thingy connected.