cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73Jh Mouse/Keyboard random lock up(Driver signature enforcement)

Vejita00
Level 7
I haven't had too many issues with this laptop for the 2 years I've owned it, except for a few gray screens of death and the minor graphics card related crash every so often but as of yesterday, for no reason at all. Whenever I boot up, my mouse/keyboard are 100% locked.
I know they work, if I disable driver signature enforcement, they both work. I tried rolling back to old USB drivers, but its the same issue. I have windows update disabled and I can't imagine how the drivers could have changed.
At the same time, I am getting pretty epic keyboard lag now also. It generally skips keys on a regular basis, which is infuriating. I haven't done a system repair or windows restore or anything yet. I also read online something about opening up the laptop because of screwy connections which cause the keyboard lag but I didn't want to do anything until I posted here.
I was going to attach my Dxdiag but I guess you can't attach text files and pasting it in here is too long, so I guess let me know if you need more info.
14 REPLIES 14

dstrakele
Level 14
Since your keyboard/mouse lockup issue is very recent, I'd try using Windows System Restore to restore your system back to a time before this issue occurred.

Have you disabled the touchpad in the BIOS? I've seen that result in keyboard lockups on G74SX systems with Sentelic touchpad driver versions earlier than 9.1.7.7.

It may also be useful to run a CHKDSK C: /F /R to confirm your file system is sound.

It may be worthwhile running DPC Latency Checker to troubleshoot your keyboard lag issue.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
Since your keyboard/mouse lockup issue is very recent, I'd try using Windows System Restore to restore your system back to a time before this issue occurred.

Have you disabled the touchpad in the BIOS? I've seen that result in keyboard lockups on G74SX systems with Sentelic touchpad driver versions earlier than 9.1.7.7.

It may also be useful to run a CHKDSK C: /F /R to confirm your file system is sound.

It may be worthwhile running DPC Latency Checker to troubleshoot your keyboard lag issue.

I had it disabled in BIOS since I bought the laptop basically and never had any issues. I re-enabled it when I had the issues but even the touchpad refused to work until I turned off driver signature enforcement. I did do a CHKDSK and found no problems. I may roll back to a restore but I'd hate to run into the issue again.
As for the keyboard problem, the DPC latency checker seems to say I am fine. It never goes out of the green. The keyboard definitely drops keypresses fairly often though, especially because I type at about 100WPM and its very frustrating to always have to stop and fix it. It never felt this bad until this random mouse/keyboard lock up though.

dstrakele
Level 14
You can always Undo a Windows System Restore, so it never hurts to try it.

In fact, if you haven't reinstalled Windows in 2 years, it's something to think about.

It is possible your missed keystrokes could be a hardware issue, however.

dstrakele wrote:
You can always Undo a Windows System Restore, so it never hurts to try it.

In fact, if you haven't reinstalled Windows in 2 years, it's something to think about.

It is possible your missed keystrokes could be a hardware issue, however.

I did a roll back to last week which immediately fixed the issues with my keyboard/mouse. However my wireless card randomly stopped working, even after reinstalling drivers, it would not detect any wireless networks.
Annoyed by this, I undid the system restore but now the wireless STILL isn't working. I am going to screw around with more drivers tonight but they don't seem to have any affect. I am contemplating just doing a fresh install on my system of everything.
Although I did possibly track down the keyboard issues as a key logger that I thought I had disabled from services related to something called ATK.
-EDIT-
I should add that My WLAN Autoconfig refuses to start in windows now, if that could be why my wireless isnt working. It gets error 193

dstrakele
Level 14
The ATK Package is a set of ASUS drivers that controls the function keys on your laptop. One of these function keys (Fn-F2) controls the wireless radio. Your attempt to disable the ATK Package may be the source of your wireless woes.

I recommend you download the current ATK Package for your laptop from the ASUS web site. Then uninstall your current ATK Package from "Control Panel - Uninstall a program", REBOOT, then reinstall your ATK Package.

dstrakele wrote:
The ATK Package is a set of ASUS drivers that controls the function keys on your laptop.

Error 193 indicates some Windows System files may be corrupt. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-system/error-7-windows-error-193/68d9... recommends running System File Checker.

Yeah, sorry to waste your time on that one. I managed to pick it up shortly after my post. After spending about 4 hours last night installing tons of drivers, rolling back stuff, doing repairs, and trying every fix I could find to make my wireless work(Tried other adapters even)
I finally am saying screw it and am going to just wipe everything back to factory default and if its STILL screwy, I'll probably just try and sell this thing, its not under warranty anymore anyway.
I hate laptops with a passion. I never have these kind of issues with my desktop since I built it myself. If only it were so easy to do the same for laptops.
I do like this laptop though, shame it is randomly giving me issues now.

dstrakele
Level 14
I changed my previous post to add new information.

dstrakele wrote:
I changed my previous post to add new information.

I am going to do all that, yeah. My main problem right now though is that I can't get my wireless to work, no matter what I do. I've done a lot of scans, which sometimes show corrupt or missing sys files that can't be fixed it says.
Wlan Autoconfig also refuses to start no matter what. I notice that several of its dependencies aren't even on my system anymore. It is pretty weird that all of this happened so randomly since even just a few days ago, I had no issues at all, and I never had any viruses/malware, I always stay on top of that stuff.
One day it was fine and the next poof. UNless you know a way I can fix that, because god knows I tried last night. I am going to just do a factory reset I think.
-EDIT-
OF course, now I realize I can't find the discs that came with my laptop so I am boned, haha.

dstrakele
Level 14
If you didn't delete the hidden ASUS Recovery partition, you can just press F9 at the ASUS splash screen to start the ASUS Factory Restore process. The end result will be like your laptop just came out of the box over 2 years ago.

You also have the choice of a Windows clean install from a downloadable .ISO file, then install about 10 or so device drivers. Either way, it should eliminate your present problems.