cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73JW A1 Battery Mode/Graphics/FPS Issue

Retired
Not applicable
Hello,

I recently purchased the G73JW A1. I have noticed that if I do not have it plugged in to the power supply when playing games that my FPS drop by half or more making it virtually unplayable. I read of a similar problem on the JH series. That fix was to install the most current Bios. I've done some research (googling) and I have not read of a fix for this for the A1. The most current bios for the A1 is the 203. I didn't read in those notes though that it will fix my issue. Has anyone had a similar problem? I spoke with ASUS and they said to send it to them for repair. There fix also was to just "leave it plugged in while gaming." To me, being tethered to a power outlet just to game, is an unacceptable answer for owning a portable laptop. I've had this latop for 3 days and was not wanting to send it off this soon. Any help would be appreciated.

Unrelated note, I'm getting some of the bugs that the JH series has, Laggy keyboard missing letters etc. Are the fixes for the JH the same for the JW?

Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3

Retired
Not applicable
You'll need to set all your power options to maximum performance settings on battery to match the plugged-in settings.

Retired
Not applicable
Under the power4gear options? That was my original though as well but after doing that I still seem to be getting 10 FPS in WoW without it being plugged in. I don't expect to play for hours like this, just for 30 minutes or so. I'd like to be able to do so without such a massive hit to my FPS.

Chastity
Level 10
The nvidia drivers will throttle down the GPU when on battery power, much the same way PowerPlay does on the AMD side. However, there is no easy toggle in the Nvidia Control Panel. You would need to edit the registry settings for the driver to change it's behavior, and do so everytime you update the drivers. TY Nvidia for not having an option in the Control Panel. 😛
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]