cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second dead Maximus V Gene - Q-Code 00

unkn0wn
Level 7
I'm looking for some advice on how to end this nightmare of failed motherboards. Here's the story so far:

I received my first Maximus V Gene motherboard along with the rest of the components for my new build. I connected everything up, powered up the computer, and it would not boot. The Q-Code display would always print 00 and never change. I came to this forum for troubleshooting assistance, and was told I most likely had a bad board. Asus support concurred. I processed the RMA through NewEgg, and fast forward a couple weeks, I received a replacement board.

With the second board, I connected everything except wires connected to the case. The case fans, and the front panel connectors were all unplugged. I then booted up the computer using the start button on the motherboard and it sprung to life. Everything was working perfectly. I ran it like this for about a week before deciding I really should tidy things up and connect the case fans and front panel of the case so I don't need to press a button on the motherboard to boot. My heart sunk when after the new connections with the case were made, the motherboard will no longer POST and I get the exact same failure scenario as with the first board (Q-Code displays 00 and nothing else). Even after unplugging all connection to the case and leaving it configured exactly as it was when it was working, it still will not boot.

I feel sick over this whole ordeal. I've spent thousands of dollars waited weeks for an RMA to process, to only be left with a broken machine. The case is a NZXT Vulcan. I'm not sure what to do here. I doubt NewEgg will allow me to process another RMA for the same piece of equipment without a fight, and even if I get a new board I'm not exactly sure what part of the case is causing the motherboard to fry. Should I contact NZXT and see if they will replace my case and do something about the motherboard? Is there any hope that this is recoverable? I've tried reflashing BIOS and clearing CMOS to no avail.

tl;dr I'm pretty sure there's a short circuit somewhere in my case which is frying my motherboard, and I'm not sure how to proceed.
21 REPLIES 21

Retired
Not applicable
Code of doom....... But possible to heal..

My Rampage died yesterday......... during photoshop work.. No reason........:D:D 5 months old..

Trolls in the pcb?

No heavy OC, no errors what so ever in about 4 months...... Same bios settings.. Safe voltage. and so on..

Just R.I.P... Its in the trash now.....

My first mobo ever to drop dead from nowhere....

RazorCat
Level 10
aww thats sad news... 😞
R7-3700X | ROG STRIX B550-F WIFI | Noctua NH-D15s | 2x16Gb TUF VULCAN 3600Mhz | 4 X 1TB WD Caviar Blue, 2TB Caviar Green | Palit GTX 1070Ti | SEASONIC 850W FOCUS GOLD | NZXT Phantom White | ASUS VG278QR-J / ASUS VX239H

Retired
Not applicable
g morning Cat..

Yes it is...

Raja
Level 13
unkn0wn wrote:
I'm looking for some advice on how to end this nightmare of failed motherboards. Here's the story so far:

I received my first Maximus V Gene motherboard along with the rest of the components for my new build. I connected everything up, powered up the computer, and it would not boot. The Q-Code display would always print 00 and never change. I came to this forum for troubleshooting assistance, and was told I most likely had a bad board. Asus support concurred. I processed the RMA through NewEgg, and fast forward a couple weeks, I received a replacement board.

With the second board, I connected everything except wires connected to the case. The case fans, and the front panel connectors were all unplugged. I then booted up the computer using the start button on the motherboard and it sprung to life. Everything was working perfectly. I ran it like this for about a week before deciding I really should tidy things up and connect the case fans and front panel of the case so I don't need to press a button on the motherboard to boot. My heart sunk when after the new connections with the case were made, the motherboard will no longer POST and I get the exact same failure scenario as with the first board (Q-Code displays 00 and nothing else). Even after unplugging all connection to the case and leaving it configured exactly as it was when it was working, it still will not boot.

I feel sick over this whole ordeal. I've spent thousands of dollars waited weeks for an RMA to process, to only be left with a broken machine. The case is a NZXT Vulcan. I'm not sure what to do here. I doubt NewEgg will allow me to process another RMA for the same piece of equipment without a fight, and even if I get a new board I'm not exactly sure what part of the case is causing the motherboard to fry. Should I contact NZXT and see if they will replace my case and do something about the motherboard? Is there any hope that this is recoverable? I've tried reflashing BIOS and clearing CMOS to no avail.

tl;dr I'm pretty sure there's a short circuit somewhere in my case which is frying my motherboard, and I'm not sure how to proceed.

The thing with the "00" code is that it can point to several things, not necessarily a dead board. I get 00 when I cool the CPU too far and BCLK is too low for safe mode to POST.

if the boards are indeed dead, two in a row suggests some kind of conflict in the setup somewhere. Posting a full parts and in-depth config list would be a very good idea.

Check the motherboard tray for any mounting points that are shorting against the back of the board for one thing. If there is nothing visible, then get the PSU checked out. Other than that, there is also the possibility of system instability as said above.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
The thing with the "00" code is that it can point to several things, not necessarily a dead board. I get 00 when I cool the CPU too far and BCLK is too low for safe mode to POST.

if the boards are indeed dead, two in a row suggests some kind of conflict in the setup somewhere. Posting a full parts and in-depth config list would be a very good idea.

Check the motherboard tray for any mounting points that are shorting against the back of the board for one thing. If there is nothing visible, then get the PSU checked out. Other than that, there is also the possibility of system instability as said above.

I just got a new 3770 today.So far all my retails have had poor IMC. Anyway mine gives 00 at low BLK everysingle time. Nothing wrong with board its just coldbugged IMC. BLK around 106+ and its fine.

Raja@ASUS wrote:

Hmm, interesting point about shorting out against the mount points. I did screw down additional mount points between when it was working and when I started getting the dreaded "00". When I get home I'll try unscrewing the board and see if that helps.

I'm not sure what you mean about "BCLK". What's that?

Here's my full part list:
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Gene
Case: NZXT Vulcan
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900MAX-R
SSD: Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB
PSU: Corsair Professional Series Gold 650-Watt
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX680 SuperClocked

Raja, you win the internet. You were 100% right, the mounting screws were causing a short which caused my machine to not boot. Thank you so much for your help. I'm up and running again, crisis averted.

What's the best way to mount the motherboard and avoid theses issues? Are there rubber washers or something to insulate the screws?

Okay, so I've finally figured out exactly what was going on here. I had an extra brass riser screwed into the case that didn't line up with a mount point on my motherboard. It was pressing up against the back of the motherboard and shorting out against the case. Everything is working fine now.

Just wanted to provide closure on this issue in case anyone else runs into it. Thanks again for the help, now I'm off to play Diablo!

No brother its nothing you did ts Asus and whre they make there motherboards all the rog series is created in an area ehere most people have never seen a pc let alonr could afford one if they saved up 3 years of pay, call them experts and then tell them to blame the customer for everything and put you throgh hell for an rma, i went through 5 motherboards in 8 months max 4ex max v genex2 max v extreme, and you guessed it qq00 ive been building pc since the days where you used cmos to open your desktop, i have all tge static equiptment in the world brackets cases you name it amd all the same thing either 55 or 00, and thats most of the time after overclocking, funny that it claimes to be made just for that reason last time i checked but when i call asus the failed bollywood acters all try to say the same thing "eettwas sommmting you diiieed" well i allays found that if you want to avoid that use the xmp setting and dont go over 105, anything above that will surely crash, 37x 4 good luck brother, and for you Asus, step up your building of boards quality, try making more plants in the USA and hire these poor veterans who dont have squat!