cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Step-by-Step: Using ASUS Recovery DVDs to Restore G75

Cecil_2099
Level 11
Since there seems to be a lot of confusion and mis-understanding on how to use the ASUS Recovery DVDs you burn by using the AI Recovery program to restore your computer to the "straight from the factory" state, I thought I should make a step-by-step guide to walk owners through it. So here goes:

The version of the AI Recovery Utility currently shipping on all G75s does not recover systems with 1TB hard drives. So before you go around wiping your drive or creating the Recovery DVDs, update the AI Recovery Utility to at least 1.0.24 (download it from the product support page where you can download the drivers).

• If you haven't already, use the AI Recovery Utility (version 1.0.24 or newer, not the 1.0.23 version that comes shipped with the G75) to burn your ASUS Recovery DVDs. You should do this prior to uninstalling any and all "bloatware" and prior to reformatting/wiping/re-partitioning your hard drive. On a G75VW-BBK5 you will end up with three (3) DVDs.
  • A few notes/assumptions prior to starting:
    - Your computer is off and no DVDs are in the optical drive.
    - You have only one drive connected to the G75 on the right-hand drive bay (based on the drive caddy letter) and that is the drive you want to restore TO.
    - It doesn't matter if the drive is an HDD or SSD and the size does not matter.
  • Start up your computer and immediately start hitting the 'Esc' key until you see the following screen appear:
  • Place the first ASUS Recovery DVD into your optical drive.
  • Select your optical drive (on my G75VW-BBK5 that is the HL-DT-ST drive) and hit 'Enter' key.
  • You will get a black screen with the words "Windows is loading files..." at the bottom with a grey bar at the bottom that will fill white:
  • Windows will load and you will get a dialogue box titled "AI RECOVERY" saying "Are you ready to restore this image?" Click the 'OK' button.
  • You will get another "AI RECOVERY" dialogue box, this time telling you "Restoring will overwrite your hard drive. Do you want to continue?" Click the 'OK' button.
  • If you are using the ASUS Recovery DVDs to restore onto a new hard drive, you may get another "AI RECOVERY" dialogue box saying "Your disk layout has been changed. AI Recovery needs to partition your disk again. You will lost all your data in your disk if you continue with the data recovery operation." Click the 'OK' button.
  • Otherwise you will see an "AI Recovery Restore" dialogue box that says "This DVD/BD will help you recover hidden partition. Check the AC adapter connection and do not interrupt the restoration process." This will have a progress indicator.
  • The computer will automatically eject the first DVD and prompt you to insert the second DVD and later the third DVD.
  • When that is complete, the last DVD will eject and an "AI RECOVERY" dialogue box will tell you that it "Successfully restored the disk from the ASUS Recovery DVD/BD. Elapsed time: 00:XX:XX". Click 'OK'. (It took me 00:43:23 (43 minutes) to restore the recovery partition.)
  • The computer will restart and you'll get another black "Windows is loading files..." screen.
  • Windows will start and you will get a DOS screen followed by an "ASUS Preload Wizard" dialogue that asks you to select your language to continue. Pick your language and click the 'Next >' button.
  • Click through the next screen.
  • On the next screen you can choose whichever option you feel is best.
  • Click through the next screen.
  • Click 'Finish' to start the process.
  • This is where you leave the computer alone. You will see a series of DOS screens and the computer will restart itself at least 6 times. Whatever you do, do not interact with the computer. It doesn't matter if it prompts you for something or restarts on its own. Leave it alone to finish everything.
  • When you see the following screen, you know the recovery process has completed successfully.
    Congratulations, your G75 is now back to it's factory-like condition.
So in total it took about 1.5 hours to complete (43 minutes to recreate the recovery partition from the DVDs and another 50 minutes to restore back to factory state).

I hope this helps clear up the process!

Update: After serious testing across multiple G75VW users, we can confirm that the ASUS Recovery DVDs do NOT work on 1TB drives (regardless of manufacturer) if they are burned with the base AI Recovery Utility version that ships with the G75VWs. Make sure you install the latest version (1.0.24) BEFORE creating your Recovery DVDs.
G75VW-BBK5 (Stock configuration with added Crucial M4 256GB SATA SSD as OS boot drive)

Need to know how to restore your G75 to it's factory-like condition? Go to my step-by-step guide:
Step-by-Step: Using ASUS Recovery DVDs to Restore G75

Want to download the latest drivers and utilities for your G75/G55? Go to this thread:
Downloading New Drivers/Utilities for G75/G55
217 REPLIES 217

john_from_ohio
Level 11
Excellent contribution!! Thanks Cecil!

Holy
Level 7
Very nice 😃
G75vw DS71
3610QM I7
16GB Ram 1600mhz
750GB+120GB(patriot pyro)
Nvidia gtx 660m
Purple Keyboard mod
Proud Owner of a GTX 660ti DC-II

Thats awesome, thanks!

waynes26
Level 7
Thank you, I did the DVD build on the old version. If i had not read your note on the bottom, that it wold not recover to a 1TB drive i would have had a huge problem. Once again thanks "Cecil_2099" great job:):):)
G75vw-91132v 🙂
i7 3610QM
16 GB SDRAM
GTX 670M
17.3" FHD 3D LED Backlight
1x 240gb Intel 520 1x 1TB 5400rpm

Ayman
Level 10
Thanks for the info.
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D.
CPU: Core i7-7700K.
Board: Asus Maximus IV Formula Z270.
VGA: Asus Strix GTX 1080.
Ram: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE LED 3000MHz.
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110.
PSU: Corsair AX860iW.
SoundCard: Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe.

Arvinaaaaa
Level 7
thanks bro, i will do the ai recovery tomorrow, but what will happen to my recovery partition in the g55, will it be automatically deleted? or do i need to delete it by formatting the g55 again? or can i just leave it so i have two sources to restore from(recovery dvds and partition)please advice, thanks

Arvinaaaaa
Level 7
thanks bro, i will do the ai recovery tomorrow, but what will happen to my recovery partition in the g55, will it be automatically deleted? or do i need to delete it by formatting the g55 again? or can i just leave it so i have two sources to restore from(recovery dvds and partition)please advice, thanks 🙂

dstrakele
Level 14
The ASUS Recovery partition is hidden, so it is NEVER DELETED by any Recovery choice. If you have the proper Recovery DVD's , you can always recreate it, but an F9 Recovery is about twice as fast as running the DVD's, since they must recreate the hidden partition first.

The choice to keep both the ASUS hidden Recovery partition and the Recovery DVD's is yours.

No matter what you choose, consider creating a Windows System Image with Windows Backup and Restore. You can create this Image at any point in time, rather than just the out-of-the-box state of an ASUS Factory Recovery. It'll save you from having to reinstall any applications, driver upgrades, and Windows Updates you've added.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
The ASUS Recovery partition is hidden, so it is NEVER DELETED by any Recovery choice. If you have the proper Recovery DVD's , you can always recreate it, but an F9 Recovery is about twice as fast as running the DVD's, since they must recreate the hidden partition first.

The choice to keep both the ASUS hidden Recovery partition and the Recovery DVD's is yours.

No matter what you choose, consider creating a Windows System Image with Windows Backup and Restore. You can create this Image at any point in time, rather than just the out-of-the-box state of an ASUS Factory Recovery. It'll save you from having to reinstall any applications, driver upgrades, and Windows Updates you've added.

so does this mean the ai recovery dvds reinstall the windows to its factory state? all my personal files, games and anything i done to the g55 on my own will be gone?

and what do you mean by "since they must recreate the hidden partition first." i thought you said the recovery partition cannot be deleted? or will the recovery dvds format the whole hard drive, then recreate the hidden partition again?

sorry for so many questions..please reply bro, thanks for kind help 🙂