cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G75 network adapter problem; can't connect to wifi.

HowlingKing
Level 7
My Asus is under a week old and with under 20hours of use. Today all of a sudden my laptop cannot connect to my wifi anymore. I've tried many different things but nothing has worked, the general problem of it is that the network adapter is not connected so the computer can't connect to the Internet.

I'm running on Windows 7 Premium 64bit.

Thanks for any help.
8 REPLIES 8

kiba
Level 10
What type of router are you using (Wireless N, G, etc...)? Have you tried resetting your Modem/Router?
ROG Notebooks: G75VW, G74SX, & G73JH And a gaming rig.

dstrakele
Level 14
@HowlingKing - It would be nice if you could list what you DID try to fix this issue, so we don't have to play 20 questions.

Here's a question anyway - Did you try using Windows System Restore to restore your system back to the time when your WiFi worked?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
@HowlingKing - It would be nice if you could list what you DID try to fix this issue, so we don't have to play 20 questions.

Here's a question anyway - Did you try using Windows System Restore to restore your system back to the time when your WiFi worked?

Ok, so the things I have tried to do so far is:

System restore
Run CMD and reset my IP
Disable and re-enable ipv6 & ipv4
Turn my modem on and off as well as my computer

This problem occurred yesterday after I was downloading a program and my computer crashed half way. After I rebooted it I was asked if I wanted to start windows normally or run in safe mode. I chose to run normally, and then my wifi no longer worked.

What I have discovered so far to this problem is:

The network adapter is not connected.
In particular ipv6 and ipv 4 are also not connected.
My network adapter is the Atheros AR9485WB-EG.
This network adapter is know to be crap.
Windows 7 has a Wifi problem, similar to what is happening to me now, which occurs randomly.
My modem/router is a DLink DSL-G640T.
The drivers to my modem/router have not been updated since the day I bought if, but I've been using my laptop fine with it for a week.

Cecil_2099
Level 11
OK maybe a stupid question but is the adapter disabled either from within Windows Network Settings or via the Fn + F2 switch?
G75VW-BBK5 (Stock configuration with added Crucial M4 256GB SATA SSD as OS boot drive)

Need to know how to restore your G75 to it's factory-like condition? Go to my step-by-step guide:
Step-by-Step: Using ASUS Recovery DVDs to Restore G75

Want to download the latest drivers and utilities for your G75/G55? Go to this thread:
Downloading New Drivers/Utilities for G75/G55

kiba
Level 10
it seems like this was caused by whatever program you were downloading, as it could have had a virus in it and there are some pretty nasty ones out there that seem to do any and all things, see if you cant isolate that virus or restore your system before you try anything else.
ROG Notebooks: G75VW, G74SX, & G73JH And a gaming rig.

Did you connect the HDMI port to anything? Because I also lost the network connection after connecting my G75 to an HDTV with the HDMI cable. Now the wifi can find networks but just cant connect to them. Im going to try reinstalling the Network drivers. Theres this other guy who posted a thread mentioning about this netwoking issue after using HDMI Here. If someone knows about this issue and can fix, plz help us.

dstrakele
Level 14
How does the Atheros Wireless Network Adapter appear in Device Manager? Is there a exclamation point in a yellow circle next to it?

RIght-click on it and choose "Properties" from the popup menu. Do any of the tabs in Properties give an indication of a problem or error?

What version Atheros driver are you currently running?

Are there any Warnings or Errors in the System Event Log that reference the Wireless Adapter or point in a troubleshooting direction?

Did you try changing the a) channel and/or b) channel bandwidth in your DLink Router configuration?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

I've also had this problem with the Atherios adapter.
I uninstalled and deleted the driver and downloaded the most recent driver from the asus website.
This fixed my internet problem but it's a bit unstable, playing Battlefield 3 is laggy but nothing reports high ping, the game just tends to lag.
I know for a fact that it's the adapter because i plugged in a USB dual-band N adapter and there were no problems with it. Although now the USB adapter doesn't turn back on after going to sleep, seems like the USB controllers also don't turn on properly again after going to sleep.

Quite disappointing to have such an important piece of infrastructure hardware not funtion properly for the price you pay.