cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovery DVD Not Booting

DetCord
Level 7
Long story short....

Couldn't get the AI Recovery software to burn the restore discs. F9 doesn't give the option to restore it to its factory state. Therefore, I had to buy the discs off of the Asus site, $50 is a bit much.

Followed the instructions on the restore process included with the discs. Selected the DVD drive as the primary boot, however, nothing seems to happen and it goes right into windows.

Any suggestions?
9 REPLIES 9

dstrakele
Level 14
For troubleshooting purposes, is the DVD drive capable of reading the Recovery DVD's to show the files on them when you are in Windows? If not, you could try removing and reinstalling the DVD drive to reseat the connection.

Alternatively, you could try cleaning the laser lens by wrapping a thin microfiber cloth around a credit card and try swabbing around with the tray open.

If you press Esc at the splash screen to enter the boot menu, can you select the DVD drive? Does this allow you to boot from the Recovery DVD?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
For troubleshooting purposes, is the DVD drive capable of reading the Recovery DVD's to show the files on them when you are in Windows? If not, you could try removing and reinstalling the DVD drive to reseat the connection.

Alternatively, you could try cleaning the laser lens by wrapping a thin microfiber cloth around a credit card and try swabbing around with the tray open.

If you press Esc at the splash screen to enter the boot menu, can you select the DVD drive? Does this allow you to boot from the Recovery DVD?

Turns out the optical drive itself had **** the bed. Ran down to Best Buy and picked up another one. Ran the process and it seemed to work... but it didn't. Luckily I have a spare laptop because my G74sx is now nothing more then a expensive paper-weight.

I'm now convinced the G74 series are absolute garbage, especially seeing all the other threads around here concerning them.

That said, here is the error screen and I hope you and others can give me an idea as to why this is happening.

dstrakele
Level 14
Performing the Recovery from DVD takes a long time, possibly 2 hours, and reboots the system several times. If you interact with the laptop during the Recovery process, it will fail to complete. It SHOULD leave you at the Windows Setup Wizard to choose your language, just as when you first started the system. You should not touch the system until it has been on this screen for at least 10 minutes.

I believe the diskpart error may indicate the Recovery process is having trouble partitioning the drive. Perhaps you could help by deleting all partitions on the drive (so it is just unallocated space) before you start the Recovery.

dstrakele wrote:
Performing the Recovery from DVD takes a long time, possibly 2 hours, and reboots the system several times. If you interact with the laptop during the Recovery process, it will fail to complete. It SHOULD leave you at the Windows Setup Wizard to choose your language, just as when you first started the system. You should not touch the system until it has been on this screen for at least 10 minutes.

I believe the diskpart error may indicate the Recovery process is having trouble partitioning the drive. Perhaps you could help by deleting all partitions on the drive (so it is just unallocated space) before you start the Recovery.

I'm not "touching" or finger ****ing it. That screen displays almost immediately upon initializing the recovery process. That screen-shot was taken less than a minute after clicking on the initial dialogue boxes. Another message received at the ERROR screen is "OS File Deploy Error".

Granted, this is a old YT video on the subject, but its the exact process I followed when receiving the error. Also, it doesn't matter what option I choose of the three, I still get a similar message with ERROR in nice big red letters.

dstrakele
Level 14
I would try using a bootable disk utility like Partition Magic to remove all partititions from the drive, so it has only unallocated space.. Then run the Recovery DVD's. I don't know if this will work, but it is what I would try if I were in your situation.

I found this thread on the error you received: http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20090422051440377&board_id=3&model=G1Sn&page=1&SLanguage=en-u...

You can Google that error and find other threads. I did not see much encouraging information. I would probably change tactics and perform a clean Windows 7 installation by downloading an ISO file, burning it to DVD, installing Windows 7 with it, installing the device drivers, then activating the installation.

Here is a thread on the "OS File Deploy Error": http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/145382-laptop-reboots-over-over-again-first-start-up.h...

dstrakele wrote:
I would try using a bootable disk utility like Partition Magic to remove all partititions from the drive, so it has only unallocated space.. Then run the Recovery DVD's. I don't know if this will work, but it is what I would try if I were in your situation.

I found this thread on the error you received: http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20090422051440377&board_id=3&model=G1Sn&page=1&SLanguage=en-u...

You can Google that error and find other threads. I did not see much encouraging information. I would probably change tactics and perform a clean Windows 7 installation by downloading an ISO file, burning it to DVD, installing Windows 7 with it, installing the device drivers, then activating the installation.

Here is a thread on the "OS File Deploy Error": http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/145382-laptop-reboots-over-over-again-first-start-up.h...

$60 for Partition Magic? I don't think so. Besides, you need to be able to boot into windows itself to launch it, and according to my laptop, there is no OS present to boot into.

I started burning the ISO a few minutes ago. I have a feeling this is going to be my only route here. Bummer. Anyways, thanks for the help.

dstrakele
Level 14
The links in this thread ( http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s&country=&status=) will help you get the device drivers you'll need.

dstrakele wrote:
The links in this thread ( http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s&country=&status=) will help you get the device drivers you'll need.

That's what I was following.

Got everything up and running properly with no hiccups and with all of the proper drivers installed. Again, thanks for the suggestions and help.

dstrakele
Level 14
I think you will like the clean Windows 7 better than the Bloatware-ridden ASUS Factory OS installed by the Recovery DVD's. I know I do...