cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D blue ray player will not play 3d blue ray or dvd what do I need to please help

Jayhawk73
Level 7
Just received my GW75 3d. I would appreciate any assistance with this matter. Love the computer but this issue is beyond the pale. I went to Nvidia to see if I needed to update the driver but it indicated that I any updates had to be effected on the Asus site. So I went there and it opened the Nvidia website and I got the same message: I had to update at the Asus site! Circular...

The blue ray did work with microsoft office so I am at a loss.

I would appreciate any suggestions for addressing this issue.

Many thanks in advance.
21 REPLIES 21

PILGRIM
Level 11
Hi there. Have you configured stereoscopic 3D in the nVidia Control Panel?
What 3D Player software is installed on your G75?

It doesn't matter where you get nVidia drivers (ASUS or nVidia sites).
Both will work in 3D Mode provided any of them is configured properly.
ASUS G74SX-3DE

Pilgram, Many thanks for taking the time to respond. Yes, it is configured stereoscopic 3D in the nVidia control panel. The version of nVidia 3D that's installed on my GW75? is GeForce gTX 670m, Driver version 290.69. I checked and no updates are available, or so it states in the nVidia control panel. However on the nvidia website it shows a GEForce 300 Driver, version 301.42, release date 052212. It indicates that it supports various nvidia 3d programs including GeForce GTX 670.

Dumb question: should I download this version? Anything else I may need to do?

Thanks a lot.

Jayhawk73 wrote:
Pilgram, Many thanks for taking the time to respond. Yes, it is configured stereoscopic 3D in the nVidia control panel. The version of nVidia 3D that's installed on my GW75? is GeForce gTX 670m, Driver version 290.69. I checked and no updates are available, or so it states in the nVidia control panel. However on the nvidia website it shows a GEForce 300 Driver, version 301.42, release date 052212. It indicates that it supports various nvidia 3d programs including GeForce GTX 670.

Dumb question: should I download this version? Anything else I may need to do?

Thanks a lot.

The laptop needs a 3D/Blu-Ray Player software to run 3D or Blu-Ray in the BD-ROM.
My G74 came bundled with the Roxio CinePlayer and I'm currently using it.
Some people prefer the Cyberlink PowerDVD 12. It's good but not free.
I checked the ASUS download site for the G75. Strange that it doesn't have any
3D/Blu-Ray Player software to go with the G75. You might try to download and use
the Sonic DVD Suite (Roxio CinePlayer) found here: (It's in the "Others" files group.)
http://rog.asus.com/notebook/17-inch/g74sx/

As I said previously, 3D Mode works with any nVidia driver version that has Stereoscopic 3D functionality.
My G74 currently has the G75's stock nVidia 296.44 version. You might want it: (It's in the VGA file group.)
http://rog.asus.com/notebook/17-inch/g75vw/
ASUS G74SX-3DE

"Can your DVD drive read DVD's and CD's that YOU create?"

dstrakele, Thank you: When I insert a created CD I get a message as of whether I want to play it with Windows Media Player. When I
insert a DVD movie I get the same message.

"what do you mean by "won't play"? When I first tried to play a normal dvd with the Roxio player it said the format wasn't recognized and I needed to install some codecs. I didn't install anything but I did remove the 2 chinese Live Mesh entries in Control Panel and suddenly my dvd played fine with the Roxio player. I can't imagine that live mesh would have anything to do with it but really that's all I did (plus a reboot). The 2d to fake 3d even works."

Hoder, Thanks for responding. By won't play I mean that like just now I inserted a 3d blu ray into the bluray disk drive,
and the green indicator light flashes a few times, it sounds as if it will load, but then the light stops flashng and there is no further sound indication that the disc is playing. And in fact it doesn't play.

I have six copies of Windows Live Mesh ActiveX Control for Live Connections, three of which are in English, one in French, one in Spanish and one in Portuguese. There all have the same date and are shown as the same version.

I gather that you left one of the LIve Mesh ActiveX Control on your machine, say the one in English, only having removed the Chinese ones?

"The laptop needs a 3D/Blu-Ray Player software to run 3D or Blu-Ray in the BD-ROM.
My G74 came bundled with the Roxio CinePlayer and I'm currently using it.
Some people prefer the Cyberlink PowerDVD 12. It's good but not free.
I checked the ASUS download site for the G75. Strange that it doesn't have any
3D/Blu-Ray Player software to go with the G75. You might try to download and use
the Sonic DVD Suite (Roxio CinePlayer) found here: (It's in the "Others" files group.)
http://rog.asus.com/notebook/17-inch/g74sx/

As I said previously, 3D Mode works with any nVidia driver version that has Stereoscopic 3D functionality.
My G74 currently has the G75's stock nVidia 296.44 version. You might want it: (It's in the VGA file group.)
http://rog.asus.com/notebook/17-inch/g75vw/"

Pilgrim,

Thank you for your further response. My G75 includes the following Nvidia software: Nvidia 3d vision controller driver 290.36; Nvidia 3d vision Driver 290.60; Nvidia Graphics Driver 290.96; Nvidia HD Audio Driver 1.3.11.1; Nvidia PhyX 9.11.1111; Nvidia Update 1.6.24

It also has the Roxio Cine Player version 5.89.58233.4

So I'm still at a loss as why 3d videos and bluray movies don't spin up and start playing after insert them in the drive. It
should be automatic, right?

I have a Dell with a Blu ray player and I insert a blu ray movie and it loads and plays...

Is there some step or procedure that I am overlooking?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and hopefully respond.

dstrakele
Level 14
Can your DVD drive read DVD's and CD's that YOU create?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Hoder
Level 7
what do you mean by "won't play"? When I first tried to play a normal dvd with the Roxio player it said the format wasn't recognized and I needed to install some codecs. I didn't install anything but I did remove the 2 chinese Live Mesh entries in Control Panel and suddenly my dvd played fine with the Roxio player. I can't imagine that live mesh would have anything to do with it but really that's all I did (plus a reboot). The 2d to fake 3d even works.

dstrakele
Level 14
If you right-click on your DVD drive in Device Manager, choose "Properties" from the popup menu, and select the "DVD Region" tab, is the region properly configured? Does it match the DVD Region of the DVD drive in your Dell system?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

PILGRIM
Level 11
It also has the Roxio Cine Player version 5.89.58233.4

So I'm still at a loss as why 3d videos and bluray movies don't spin up and start playing after insert them in the drive. It
should be automatic, right?

I have the CinePlayer 5.8A06 version. Maybe your version is newer.
To check further if it's a software issue, try this:
(Open) CinePlayer > Region Control > (choose the Region where you're located).
In Playback Options > (select file type associations)
ASUS G74SX-3DE

"If you right-click on your DVD drive in Device Manager, choose "Properties" from the popup menu, and select the
"DVD Region" tab, is the region properly configured? Does it match the DVD Region of the DVD drive in your Dell system?"

dstrakele,

Many thanks. No region was configured. I corrected that yet I'm afraid there is some other issue, perhaps the one raised by Pilgrim.

I also uninstalled the foreign language copies of Windows Mesh as suggested by Hoder, but this had no effect on my
problem, unfortunately.

"I have the CinePlayer 5.8A06 version. Maybe your version is newer.
To check further if it's a software issue, try this:
(Open) CinePlayer > Region Control > (choose the Region where you're located).
In Playback Options > (select file type associations)"

Pilgram, Thanks once again. I tried to open CinePlayer to do as you suggest but while Roxio CinePlayer is listed in the
control panel (and I also can see it through ccleaner) it does not appear in programs on windows start or via a file search.

If you happen to know how I can access it I'd be very grateful to know how. Many thanks.