Thread: Asus G75VW - IDLE Fan Noise..

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Asus G75VW - IDLE Fan Noise..

Mine is G75VW-DS73 3D version. I bought this 6/6/2012

During a school work on Library, there is annoying sound of fan on G75VW. It sounds like woom woom woom rolling sound.

and it is choppy!! Is there any idea to reduce this noise or some solution??

Gaming or movie, there is no problem because it is covered by speaker sound, but doing school work like Microsoft word is a little bit terrible...

Any Comment plz.
    Last edited by ForCeV; 06-11-2012 at 04:47 PM.

New ROGer Array

Hello,

I have 100% the same problem, i have bought an ASUS G75VW-1042V with Full HD and GTX 670M in French the last week and i hear noise in idle greater than when running games or demanding applications which very strange for me. I want to know if it is the same thing for all people or there is a problem in my ROG ? And how i can reduce noise in idle ? Thank's.
    Last edited by GeeK; 06-26-2012 at 08:58 AM.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array kiba's Avatar

this is very strange, as the g75 fans are very quiet compared to the fans on my g73/74 (probably due to blade shape). anyways, my first thing to do would be to pull off the fan covers and see if theres anything caught in there, and make sure the dust filters are seated properly, if theyre not, they could be causing vibration. post back here w/ results.
    Last edited by kiba; 06-26-2012 at 10:42 AM.
    ROG Notebooks: G75VW, G74SX, & G73JH
    Gaming Rig: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme | ASUS GTX 560 Ti's x2 - SLI | 16gb Corsair Vengeance 2122 ram | OC'd i7 2600K - WC'd (2x Cougar Vortex on Corsair H100) | Crucial M4 SSD's x2- Raid0 | 850W Power Supply | Repurposed Alienware ALX Case w/ top reservoir fins, mood lights still work!

New ROGer Array

My notebook is new, i have bought it the last week and the first time when i have turned on the machine i have heared noise. Here i am in the library and i dont hear noise, nothing ! I think that my home is so quiet that I hear almost everything so i dont think that there is a default in my notebook or something like, the netbook make a little noise of course but it's normal if we consider the power of the machine so it's O.K for me, in the worst case i come to the library everyday to not hear noise

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daevart View Post
    - If the machine is turned on and over a desk, this sound is generated, in the background, due to the constant spinning of the fan, and to a not clever design of the ball bearing mount. Let's call X dba the noise generated this way (I say X since I will put the normal value in our review in the next days).
    - If the machine is put 90° (Vertical considering the table), the hum noise is consistently reduced. You can listen only to the air blowing in to the vents. The noise in this condition is also reduced: x-1 dba.
    - If the machine is put upside down, the noise stops. x-1,8 dba.
    - If the machine is put on a SOFT SURFACE (like some rubber between the table and the small feet, the ball bearing sound consistently goes down (x-0,7 dba)
    From @Daevart's research, if you place the G75 on a soft surface, the "woom woom woom rolling noise" reported by @ForCeV may be signficantly reduced. If the laptop is turned upside down, the fan noise stops.

I've utilized both of these ideas by mounting my G75 to a rubber pad on the underside of my desk. Here I ready myself for a gaming session undisturbed by any unwanted fan noise...

inversion.jpg
    Last edited by dstrakele; 06-26-2012 at 02:27 PM.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT