cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer Keeps Restarting!!!

Sindorei
Level 7
I can't seem to figure out why my computer keeps restarting. It will do it on idle and in games.

It just does it random, black screen pops up and then it boots back up as if i clicked the restart button.

Is there any way for me to figure this out ?

I have a Asus saber-tooth MOBO with AMD 6 core Thuban Black edition. If you need anything or have any questions please help if tried many things and looked up on the internet and nothing stops the random boots.
17 REPLIES 17

Arniebomba
Level 9
What are the other specs and what did you do to your setup?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Monitor your CPU temps while doing stuff, and see if it is a thermal overload that is powering you down.

And check your PSU connections to the motherboard, you might find that one of the connectors is not correctly seated or that a pin is loose.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Zka17
Level 16
Also, would be nice to know what the Event Viewer shows when the system is restarting...

Is this a new built or it's an older one which was working fine until now? I agree, knowing the full specs would help more - specially regarding the PSU... a too small one or a dying one could cause this kind of troubles...

Sindorei
Level 7
All the parts are about a year old. This started doing this randomly last week or so. Attached is the image of the temps of my cpu.

I have saber-tooth 990FX MOBO with the Thuban Phenom II X6 1100T at 3.84.

Ram is corsair Dominator Ram that came with the fan.

Geforece 8800 GT is the Graphics card and that is the only old part in the computer.

The PSU is Corsair Pro series HX850w

Event Viewer says Event ID 41

Zka17
Level 16
Those temps are pretty nice... I assume that they would go higher under load, but still would be in the safe zone for a while...

Did you do some over clocking before the restarting problem occurred? Or any other changes? Adding new memories, new VGA or something like that?

That event ID 41 is power-related if I recall correctly... is there any chance to test your PSU? Or try an other PSU in your system?

Sindorei
Level 7
I haven't done any overclocking it's all stock. The temps on full load never get past 35 C but my system is well ventilated and like I said all stock .

It just black screens and restarts for some reason. I will have to try out a different power supply from a buddy of mine and hope its the PSU because its still under warranty from corsair.

If the event ID 41 is power related the for sure i'll try a different PSU, I'll get back to you guys once I have tried that.

Is there any other information i should collect ?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Have a look at this for Kernel power 41: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

You'll see that sometimes this can be driver related....updated any drivers recently...especially sound

Sindorei
Level 7
Is there a fast way to check if all of your drivers are up to date ?

I just used device manager and search for a driver through that.

Sindorei wrote:
Is there a fast way to check if all of your drivers are up to date ?

I just used device manager and search for a driver through that.

Search for updates... for OS, then separately for graphic card... if there is something new, it will popup

But I still suspect the PSU... 🙂