cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serious Matter: G55vw heat COMPARED TO lenovo y580.

Arvinaaaaa
Level 7
ok..so both of the laptop have same specs with the gpu and others..BOTH 660M nvidia

so i tested my g55 with furmark and got up to 82c, i played crysis and got up to 79c maxed settings,...at first, i thought it is normal because mote of users are same temp and some even got higher..
this is my g55 in full hd

this is my friend g55 in full hd

all of us thought this is the normal temp...looks normal,UNTIL!! I SAY THE LENOVO Y580...IT IS CHEAPER THAN THE G55..even the cooling of the g55 is far more better than the y580..but wait, looks at the results of the y580 below:

he tested his y580 in 1680x1050

then he tested in full hd(1920x1200)

and guess what the temp is lower than the g55( he can get higher burn in scores and higher frames than the g55
this is his thread link: http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2383549 under full load, his gpu temp is at 68 to 73c)

and furthermore, a guy opened up his g55vw and add thermal paste again(repaste) and his g55 under full load is 65c only(compared to others users like me who got 82c and some got higher(92-95c) ) this is his link : http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?16966-Poor-Quality-Control-on-ASUS-product-in-my-case-ASUS-...

now im not comparing the g55 with y580..but the g55 cooling system is said to be the best and better than the y580, but y r we getting high temp when the guy repaste and got only 65c under full load..

please asus experts including MARSHALL, please advice and tell us if got any problem with the g55 current stock..our gpu dont deserve this high temps..

thank you
95 REPLIES 95

Arvinaaaaa
Level 7
ps, im NOT telling that the gtx 660m in g55 heat dissipation is not normal..is just how did the guy who repaste get 65c under full load and the guy with y580 got lower temp than us? his ROOM TEMP IS THE SAME AS MINE AND MY FRIENDS

Arvinaaaaa wrote:
ps, im NOT telling that the gtx 660m in g55 heat dissipation is not normal..is just how did the guy who repaste get 65c under full load and the guy with y580 got lower temp than us? his ROOM TEMP IS THE SAME AS MINE AND MY FRIENDS

well in my case, Mine was not exactly unstable - i got this screen tearing/artifacts after running full load for 10 minutes...and random slowdown/lag due to nvidia gpu throttling down due to the temprature.....

I did try to contact authorized asus distributor for a fix w/o luck since they said they only imported 5 pieces for my country....and all sold out..this n that ...running arround....without any good end result....

Not like in the states where you guys get ample supply of the laptops. SO they can do exchanges or something if bad things happen.

In my case I just said " SCREW THE ASUS WARRANTY".....IMHO they should pay me because I did the job for them.

JUST BIG FYI if you want to repaste and make sure the heatsink seated properly - you will VOID your WARRANTY - because there's a void warranty label on one of the screws securing the heatsink on to the motherboard.....

And ASUS this problem with poor quality control of the assembly not just happened with g55/75 series.......they are already started with g53/73 series.....

SHould pay more attention to your factory aseembly line ..............................

wolfz wrote:
well in my case, Mine was not exactly unstable - i got this screen tearing/artifacts after running full load for 10 minutes...and random slowdown/lag due to nvidia gpu throttling down due to the temprature.....

I did try to contact authorized asus distributor for a fix w/o luck since they said they only imported 5 pieces for my country....and all sold out..this n that ...running arround....without any good end result....

Not like in the states where you guys get ample supply of the laptops. SO they can do exchanges or something if bad things happen.

In my case I just said " SCREW THE ASUS WARRANTY".....IMHO they should pay me because I did the job for them.

JUST BIG FYI if you want to repaste and make sure the heatsink seated properly - you will VOID your WARRANTY - because there's a void warranty label on one of the screws securing the heatsink on to the motherboard.....

And ASUS this problem with poor quality control of the assembly not just happened with g55/75 series.......they are already started with g53/73 series.....

SHould pay more attention to your factory aseembly line ..............................

ya in my country(malaysia)stock is limited too..might need to wait 2 to 3 months before the very very limited stock arrive in malaysioa

thanks bro for advice, can you post a screenshot of you g55 gpu at max tamp(64c as you said) using FURMARK test in full hd(1920x1080)? would be very much appreciated:)

Arvinaaaaa wrote:
ya in my country(malaysia)stock is limited too..might need to wait 2 to 3 months before the very very limited stock arrive in malaysioa

thanks bro for advice, can you post a screenshot of you g55 gpu at max tamp(64c as you said) using FURMARK test in full hd(1920x1080)? would be very much appreciated:)

I'll try to do it tonight when i have the time......
I guess it is the same customer service @ malay and @ indonesia -- they r both sucked big time.....
For a premium price product they give us a not so premium service........:mad::mad:
even the the regular computer store i bought it from said they wont stock any asus G series unless someone special order one since the G series gave them so much problems....

So many people complaints ..... but still till now.... I dont think ASUS heard us all the complaints....

We would've thought with the new generation series g55/75 they will already learn from past.....:eek:

twister123
Level 7
This is quite serious, my G55 also has this problem. Shouldn't we expect our laptops to run fine without any need for us to do any serious maintenance on it ?

twister123 wrote:
This is quite serious, my G55 also has this problem. Shouldn't we expect our laptops to run fine without any need for us to do any serious maintenance on it ?

ya..please more people comment here and am waiting for asus expert to comment here too..very serious matter with all g55 now..i just dont understand we have to open up the g55 and repaste the thermal paste to get it full load under 65c(the guy who repaste also said got a plastic blocking the heatsink and gpu)??? this is not normal guys..

not only your g55 bro, all the g55(except the guy who repaste it) and maybe a very very few users lucky to have the good g55.

X-ROG
Level 15
Not all G55, let's remain rational here. A half dozen people have commented it's hotter than expected but still a stable laptop. I've passed on the serial numbers and the team in HQ are checking if there's abnormalities with those batches.

EDIT: After investigation we've found no abnormalities in our processes. 80'sC is considered fine.

@Arvinaaaaa
my 93C GPU for 10mins of furmark test.

JoNe91 wrote:
@Arvinaaaaa
my 93C GPU for 10mins of furmark test.

thanks..and you got 93c without even doing the fullhd test.. 😞