cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDMI connection picture but no sound [solved]

steve916
Level 7
Hi all, just connected my G53 up to the TV via HDMI . I get a great picture but no sound. There is no problem with the HDMI cable or TV as my wifes laptop plays video to the TV with the same HDMI cable with no problem. My laptop has played video back in the past with no problem.
My G53 has been back to ASUS here in Melb for repairs twice earlier this year and I have not played video back since then.
the drivers are up to date.
Can anyone suggest anything else to check or try beforeI call ASUS support.

Thanks in advance
16 REPLIES 16

MrRuckus
Level 10
I would check and make sure the TV is set to default for your sound. If it detects the TV, it should show up under sound in control panel as a device (below is a picture of mine currently, but Im away from home so its not connected). I use my laptop all the time connected to the HDTV for movies and it works great, I just have to go in and set it to default whenever I want to use the HDMI sound.

(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

Hi,
i just bought a G75 but have trouble with the sound over HDMI.

Here is the situation:

1) Boot system ==> fine
2) Connect HDMI cable ==> nothing happens
3) Enter display settings and select the second display and clone display ==> picture appears on TV set
4) Check sound settings ==> HDMI is marked as not connected.

I have tried to activate the HDMI in the sound, but it appears to remain disconnected.
I have the computer connected to an AV Receiver that in turn is connected to the TV set.
What I want is a passthrough of the sound, so the receiver can decode it and display the picture.

Can anyone help?
thx in advance
Guido

Did you check "set up digital audio" section in Nvidia Control Panel?

ASUS G53JW-XA1

Yeah great that did it.
Actually I could not find the NVIDIA settings, so I figured the installation must have gone wrong somehow.
I reinstalled the drivers and made the changes and viola erverythings great!!
Thanx a bunch 🙂
Guido

Ascarsy wrote:
Yeah great that did it.
Actually I could not find the NVIDIA settings, so I figured the installation must have gone wrong somehow.
I reinstalled the drivers and made the changes and viola erverythings great!!
Thanx a bunch 🙂
Guido

Glad you fixed it. Actually, you shouldn't need to deal with driver control panel and all must be configurable through Windows Control Panel. Somehow driver seemed to block the audio internally. Hope i don't experience the similar trivial HDMI audio issue when i connect my notebook to a HDTV one day 🙂
ASUS G53JW-XA1

Hello,

Thanks for the post. That helped me solved my issue I had!

Best regards,

billyray520
Level 10
With my laptops I have noticed that the sequence of "plugging in" stuff matters too. So if I'm going to watch something while hooked up to my hdtv, I first connect the HDMI cable, THEN turn on the TV, THEN turn on the notebook. That way I never have any problems. But if I sequence them differently, I won't have HDMI sound.
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

tzutzu95
Level 7
Hello,

I just bought an G750JS with nVidia gtx 870m but when I connect the HDMI cable the sound still came from the laptop, I searched a little and find this forum post and search in control panel for nvidia setings but in that menu this is the only seting i see 39745 And also when i plugged the hdmi cable it didn't apear the TV on the Sound section. What can I do?

tzutzu95 wrote:
Hello,

I just bought an G750JS with nVidia gtx 870m but when I connect the HDMI cable the sound still came from the laptop, I searched a little and find this forum post and search in control panel for nvidia setings but in that menu this is the only seting i see 39745 And also when i plugged the hdmi cable it didn't apear the TV on the Sound section. What can I do?

I'm in the same boat as you.....i couldnt for the life of me find the audio setup with the nvidia video settings......

The goal obviously is to make sure HDMI works as HDMI should. But im getting video only with the sound option saying that it's not plugged even though i am getting video via the HDMI cable. The cable isnt a problem as my wifes laptop transmits audio as well.

Geforce 840m btw........Please help if anyone can. Thanks