cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First things to do after buying G55/G75 based notebooks

john_from_ohio
Level 11
First things to do after purchasing G55/G75 based systems
Asus staff/moderators: please make this item a sticky to stay on top of the forum PLEASE!

1) Immediately if not sooner uninstall the asus live update utility ... it will cause problems either with BIOS updates done thru windows ( winflash ) or usb3 drivers or worse.

It needs to be yanked before your system is damaged/compromised.

2) Update to the latest asus recovery utility version and then burn yourself a set of recovery disks.

3) If running mcaffee ditch it and put some kind of other antivirus/firewall combination into place on yourself.

Trying to stay brand agnostic here but I personally recomend a double layer that includes NIS 2012 ( Norton Internet Security ) along with MBAM ( Malware Bytes Anti Malware ).

4) Do some testing with something like furmark and ( hwinfo to monitor ) and verify/check that your GPU temps are within normal ranges. ( If not within normal perhaps heat sinks not installed correctly or covered etc ... ).

5) Be aware of your return/exchange dates that are applicable to your purchase!

6) If re-installing Win 7 for a fresh installation or doing a windows system image recovery be aware:

a) You need a Win 7 64 bit installation disk that includes SP1 on the G55/G75 machines. The original ( missing SP1 ) Win 7 install disks will not understand the UEFI/bios stuff.

b) If doing a Win 7 system image onto an external drive ( highly recommended ) for recovery purposes ( will be up to date with anything installed on your system at the time you create the system image ) it needs to be recovered with the same type of Win 7 64 bit SP1 included INSTALL disk. The win 7 utility will let you create a recovery disk on G55/G75 but it will not work to recover a system with ... the SP1 included INSTALL disk will work to boot up a system and do the recovery with.
22 REPLIES 22

Jaru
Level 7
hi, im a rog g55vw owner, it's been a month since unboxing., installing software, uninstall, defrag, copy paste, delete..okay, my question is, if i make the AI disk now, will i have a clean old factory setting like operting system / driver / software after running recovery disk??
-sorry my bad english

dstrakele
Level 14
Yes - it will be the same as when you first started your G55.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

PALADiN
Level 7
You seriously recommended a Norton product?

-100 geek points.
Desktop:
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO (BIOS version 3402) | Core i5 2500K @ 4GHz | 4GB GSkill Ripjaws F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM (2x2GB) | Palit GTX 680 Jetstream 2GB | ASUS Xonar D2X | WD 1TB HDD (WD1002FAEX) | LG CH10LS20 (Blu-ray/DVD-RW combo drive) | Corsair HX650 | Samsung 2333SW @ 1920x1080 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 | Logitech G19 | Logitech G500

Laptop:
ASUS G73JH (Core i7 720QM, 8GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD5870, 2x500GB HDD, 17.3" @ 1920x1080)

PALADiN wrote:
You seriously recommended a Norton product?

-100 geek points.

What part of this are you having trouble reading? ... put some kind of other antivirus/firewall combination ...

######

3) If running mcaffee ditch it and put some kind of other antivirus/firewall combination into place on yourself.

Trying to stay brand agnostic here but I personally recomend a double layer that includes NIS 2012 ( Norton Internet Security ) along with MBAM ( Malware Bytes Anti Malware ).

######

So you want to toss some kind of insult but you yourself provide no recommendation at all? That's a fail.

If you want to debate who is the bigger geek well then go ahead and bring it ... let's go offline though please.

Norton is just as bad as McAfee (as any self respecting geek would know).

Personally, I recommend Comodo firewall (http://www.comodo.com) and VIPRE Antivirus (http://www.vipreantivirus.com).
Desktop:
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO (BIOS version 3402) | Core i5 2500K @ 4GHz | 4GB GSkill Ripjaws F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM (2x2GB) | Palit GTX 680 Jetstream 2GB | ASUS Xonar D2X | WD 1TB HDD (WD1002FAEX) | LG CH10LS20 (Blu-ray/DVD-RW combo drive) | Corsair HX650 | Samsung 2333SW @ 1920x1080 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 | Logitech G19 | Logitech G500

Laptop:
ASUS G73JH (Core i7 720QM, 8GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD5870, 2x500GB HDD, 17.3" @ 1920x1080)

PALADiN wrote:

This "self respecting geek" has been using McAfee for 10 years now, never had a problem with it. It catches anything that may try and sneak onto my system and kills it quickly and effectively. It may be a bit heavier on resources than it used to be, but it's still far and away a better alt to Norton's system hogging and sometimes system crippling bloatware 😛

PALADiN wrote:

Personally, I recommend Comodo firewall (http://www.comodo.com) and VIPRE Antivirus (http://www.vipreantivirus.com).

Well at least now you have a recommendation out here. Not sure why you want to keep tossing out implied insults ... is this personal somehow?

As I noted at least a couple times here already people need to get some kind of combination of stuff to protect themselves. That along with having a tested and proven backup and recovery solution in place will get you at least ... a way to recover after you get hacked/compromised. With the rate of speed that malware/virus/rootkits/rats appear and the increasing sophistication of that stuff plus all the holes in micrsoft and apple ( and others ) operating systems ... having a solid backup plan is a must.

Not that anyone should trust implicitly CNET or PcMag but NIS 2012 is a top rated product. The last several years it has become much faster/better ... the outstanding threat by some hackers to release some old Norton source code probably is pretty hollow at this point.

Geeks need to stick together and discuss things intelligently not toss around weak slams ... just my opinion.

Personally if I was not using NIS I would probably pick Kapersky next ... not familiar with VIPRE or Comodo but hey whatever makes you happy and as long as you have a proven and tested backup and recovery procedure.

The odds of any of us getting hacked/compromised appear to be going up not down no matter how updated one keeps a system and no matter how much one stays away from shaky internet places and does not install "lots of stuff" from almost anywhere.

Cecil_2099
Level 11
For anyone looking for the place to download the latest drivers and utilities for the G75/G55, go to the following links:

G75: http://rog.asus.com/notebook/17-inch/g75vw/
G55: http://rog.asus.com/notebook/15-inch/g55vw/

Scroll down, click the "Download" tab, and select "Windows 7 64bit" in the OS drop down menu.

Files are posted in their categories in chronological order with more recent files at the top.

ASUS AI Recovery Utility is located in the "Utilities" Category.
G75VW-BBK5 (Stock configuration with added Crucial M4 256GB SATA SSD as OS boot drive)

Need to know how to restore your G75 to it's factory-like condition? Go to my step-by-step guide:
Step-by-Step: Using ASUS Recovery DVDs to Restore G75

Want to download the latest drivers and utilities for your G75/G55? Go to this thread:
Downloading New Drivers/Utilities for G75/G55

Cecil_2099 wrote:
For anyone looking for the place to download the latest drivers and utilities for the G75/G55, go to the following links:

G75: http://rog.asus.com/notebook/17-inch/g75vw/
G55: http://rog.asus.com/notebook/15-inch/g55vw/

Scroll down, click the "Download" tab, and select "Windows 7 64bit" in the OS drop down menu.

Files are posted in their categories in chronological order with more recent files at the top.

ASUS AI Recovery Utility is located in the "Utilities" Category.

1) Should we download the latest drivers & utilities for each & every category in that list that shows up in the link that you provided for our model of laptop?

2) Do we need to uninstall or delete the old driver/utility before we install a new driver/utility?