cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question about CPU Level up,+ and new motherboard

alyraver
Level 10
Ok so i have the system up an running, no problems, originally my RAM was only running at 1333, but after having read some posts on here i figured out how to change it using the 'XMP' profile, and now i ahve 12gb running at 2133 🙂 perfect

However i having been doing some research into this 'CPU Level Up' and from what i gather, its a set of BIOS values that ASUS pre programme for people like myself to simply 'auto overclock' my cpu, without having to go into voltage changes etc. Am i correct in thinking this? Its just that some people are saying that its best to do it manually as each setup has its own 'sweet spots' and the ASUS pre loaded values on the 'CPU Level Up' might not be good for my machine, i.e may need tweaking to get to work properly.

For me i am a complete amateur when it comes to OC'ing, thats why the 'CPU Level Up' option is very atractive to a user like myslef (not too complicated) I would like to learn OC'ing in more detail further down the line, but for now, i really dont wanna risk frying ny system if you get me?

With the CPU level up, it says i can get my CPU to 4.8 ghz or something like that (cant remember exact figure, will have to check again) Do you recommend i try it or not? I did try the CPU level up from 3.2 to 3.8 and it was fine, so seems to work

One last question (will make it quick) I am getting replacement MOBO as current one has faulty DIMM slot. Will i need to re install WIN 7 again?? ( i have literally just installed it, so its fresh install on my ssd) and will i need to do all the driver and BIOS updates again

thanks!
800D/Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition/i73930K @ 5.2/ Kingston Hyper X Beast 32GB 2400/ STRIX 1080TI OC, EK Nickel Plexi CPU block, No Rad + No Fans :D, Alphacool D5 Pump.. HC 500A chiller @ 4C - Max load temp @ 5.2 = 55c. Lowest Core Idle Temp = 3c
4 REPLIES 4

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Sure try it but the auto values are very generic and will probably run more voltage through your system than necessary. Of course setting it up yourself is better and probably more fun! Just watch your temperatures that's all.... particularly the VRM area. You should actively cool this area or you may find the board throttling you down.

You shouldn't have to re-install windows. Or drivers. You may have to update the bios...depends what arrives on the new board

🙂

alyraver
Level 10
Ah cool, i'll give it a whirl 🙂

Cheers Arne 🙂
800D/Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition/i73930K @ 5.2/ Kingston Hyper X Beast 32GB 2400/ STRIX 1080TI OC, EK Nickel Plexi CPU block, No Rad + No Fans :D, Alphacool D5 Pump.. HC 500A chiller @ 4C - Max load temp @ 5.2 = 55c. Lowest Core Idle Temp = 3c

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Actually, for the same 4.8 clock this video shows you pretty much all you have to do to get there manually.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx2z07sFM2I&feature=related

I learned a lot from this myself 😄

Dark
Level 9
From what i have seen with OC is you can do it from the desktop if pc is cool you should have no problems as from what i seen u can change voltage extra on desktop just up them bit by bit. ALSO if you do go overboard pc just shuts down but then you can load up the config it saves simple also save's alot of work.
motherboard ASUS Crosshair V Formula
PSU Fractal Design Newton R2 1000W
MemoryRipjaws 16 GB
CaseArmor Mx
CPUAMD Bulldozer FX-8120 8 Core 3.10GHz

Clocked to 4.5GHz

Im a girl 🙂 so be nice as i bite