cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G73S Freezing/Locking up

RevertM
Level 7
Hi i have a Asus G73s laptop and I bought it about April of 2011, It was working awesome until about 4-5 months after purchase when it suddenly started locking up. (I.E. not being able to move anything and the sound would be in continuous loop). Eventually it went away on its own and i didnt worry about it. Well now its happening again and im officially past my 12m warranty.

I ran DPC Latency Checker and saw that without even running a game the latency was far to high, and even if running a game it shouldnt be that high.

Well I went through all my drivers disabling/re-enabling them one by one until i got to the graphics card. This is what it looks like without the graphics card enabled.

Any help here on what needs to be done? Is it a bad graphics card or is it a bad driver? Im not much of a computer expert as all i know how to do is build computers and some minor diagnostics. And if it is a bad card how much will one of the same power cost and do you all have any recommendations?
43 REPLIES 43

dstrakele
Level 14
I would think it is more likely the video driver. What version are you currently running?

What 3rd party Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, Remote Access, or Disk Management software have you installed to your system? The drivers in these type of programs are the usual suspects in system lockups.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
I would think it is more likely the video driver. What version are you currently running?

What 3rd party Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, Remote Access, or Disk Management software have you installed to your system? The drivers in these type of programs are the usual suspects in system lockups.

Im using the windows 7 firewall and AVG but no management software that isnt already pre installed. The lock ups happen even before i installed AVG.

Nvidia Geforce gtx460m driver version 8.17.13.142

dstrakele
Level 14
Did you do a clean install (choose "Custom Install" and check the "Clean Install" checkbox) of the 301.42 NVIDIA driver from Windows Safe Mode? If not, I'd try re-installing it that way. If the lockups persisted, I'd try backrevving to 295.73 or even 285.62 using the same method.

Ill reinstall it and get back to you with the results

Still getting high latency readings so ill backdate the drivers to see if its just a problem with that specific driver.

My laptop is still locking up even though ive backdated the drivers. The laptop only locks up when i open games, mostly diablo but also occurs with other games.

dstrakele
Level 14
I've read of cases where someone develops a video driver issue and it persists even when they backrev to driver versions that were previously stable. They finally resolve the problem by reinstalling Windows.

I suspect that driver remnants that fail to uninstall continue to cause problems. Here is one more thing you can try. Uninstall your current NVIDIA driver from "Control Panel - Uninstall a program". REBOOT and Boot into Safe Mode and run Driver Sweeper to remove any NVIDIA driver remnants. Follow up with CCleaner to clean up the registry. REBOOT and install a stable NVIDIA driver version using a clean install from Safe Mode.

Ive done what you said to do and ive also tried updating my audio codecs thinking it might be the Asus Audio Lockup bug. So far nothing is working. Ill keep trying different things.

dstrakele
Level 14
Do you see any Errors or Warnings in the System or Application Event Logs that point to a troubleshooting direction? Look from up to 2 hours prior to, and up to the point of the lockup.

I remember reading a thread where the user reported lockups and it appeared as if his hard disk was failing (CHKDSK would not complete). But in the System Event Log, there were multiple events indicating the wireless adapter had failed. Once he physically removed the defective WiFi card, the lockups ceased. I'm not saying that is your issue, but it shows that the cause of the problem was being reported in the Windows System Event Log all along.