cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adjusting voltage on GTX680-DC2T-2GD5 with GPU Tweak - would it be possible?

Deann
Level 7
Hey all,

So I just got my new Asus GTX 680 DirectCUII TOP a few days ago and I am absolutely loving it. I'm doing 1320mhz on the core with it, and it never seems to go any higher than 60c in all of my games, including Skyrim, BF3, WoW and Diablo 3. It's also very quiet, and seems very well fleshed-out, so thanks a lot guys for building such a solid card!
However, I was a little disappointed that you cannot adjust the voltage, and I know this is mostly because of NVIDIA this time round, as GPU boost makes things a bit more complicated. On a sidenote, I've owned a GTX 580 Matrix before I ugpraded to this, and that OC'd really well.

So, I wanted to ask, is there any chance of a new Asus GPU Tweak in the works that allows the voltages to be unlocked, going beyond NVIDIA's stock 1.175v at max?

MSI seem to be able to do it with a new version of their Afterburner program on their GTX 680 Lightning (1.25v+ have been reported), so is it also a possibility in the future that the TOP can also do the same thing but with Asus' GPU tweak?

Thanks in advance 🙂
10 REPLIES 10

RonanC
Level 10
hi there,

i have just got this card and I have full voltage tweaking on it.

you need to use the hotwire function and be handy with a soldier iron..

to use the hotwire the easy way you need a rampage iv extreme otherwise you have to do it that hard way and solder some new variable resistors onto the pcb,

I found that the best way for me to remove the pgr 100 resistor was to heat up a metal tweezers with a mini blow torch till the tips went red and quickly grabbed the resister and it came off straight away.

I used a solder iron to solder the 6 wires to the hotwire points on the card.

currently @ 1.38v I am at 1450mhz 😄

Arniebomba
Level 9
I have seen no one with a msi card and a volt meter proofing the afterburner can really adjust the voltage.
The only way you can do that is to hotwire or mod the bios.

HiVizMan
Level 40
There are only three cards that can actually adjust the voltages of 680 cards.

MSI lightning and the EVGA classified. The lighting is the only card via software and the classified is via their epad thingy. And of course all the ASUS models with the hotwire.

Blame nVid for this restriction.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
There are only three cards that can actually adjust the voltages of 680 cards.

MSI lightning and the EVGA classified. The lighting is the only card via software and the classified is via their epad thingy. And of course all the ASUS models with the hotwire.

Blame nVid for this restriction.

Ever seen someone really adjusting the voltage with software, having a volt meter attached? Besides i'm a Asus freak, this was one of the reasons i didnt go for MSI because there was no proof (before)

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yeah mate me, I have three MSI lightening 680 cards. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

@ hiviz, just out of curiousty what overclocks are you getting on the lightnings?

HiVizMan wrote:
Yeah mate me, I have three MSI lightening 680 cards. 🙂

Great! Good to know then 🙂

hello can you tell me your oc clocks of all settings?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Ronan I use LN2 exclusively on my Lightning cards so my outcomes are not representative at all. However I have just received an addition two cards and they still have the coolers on so I can have a quick check for you. About to put a RIVE system up to test a problem for a user so it sort of all fits in. You just interested in max overclock on air, Vantage stable ok?

When testing other reference PCB cards I only had 2 that would not run 1300MHz Vantage and Unigene stable. I did have a modified bios that allowed some headroom with respect to voltage. That was on the stock air coolers. All those cards maxed out at 1480Mhz give or take a MHz on LN2.

Edit. That was without any volt mods at all. VRM where what held me back I am sure. Killed two cards just fining the max I could do. Then did the volt mods on the reference cards and killed two more. Simply gave up with the 680 reference cards thereafter. Plus the Turbo boost thing is a pain for clocking.

Might take a while to get the RIVE rig set up, looking for a spare mounting bracket for the CPU cooler. 😛 Do not want to break down my other rig I am benching on but I know I have a second bracket some place, at least I had one before the school holidays started and my two have been playing downstairs. 😄