cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noise/humming in microphone while playing games

Estatus
Level 7
I've experienced strange static-like or humming noise coming from my end when talking while playing games. Friends have complained before when speaking over ventrilo so I decided to record how it sounded like when the mic was on during a game session, and indeed I heard this annoying noise in the background. I returned my first card for a new one, but the issue was consistent. Tried both the drivers on the CD as well as the latest drivers from the ASUS page. I've also tired moving the sound card to the slot farthest away from the GPU card since I've been advised by the support at my store as well as on other forums to do so as there can be interference between the soundcard and the graphics card; but this boggles me since, not only is this an expensive high-end ROG sound card, but there is also a case built on the card itself to protect it from any kind of interference from other devices on the computer.

To listen to how it sounds like visit this video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3E-uhY-TJ4&feature=colike
136 REPLIES 136

Chickenz
Level 9
I too am experiencing this. Even if I completely mute the game audio. There is interference only during gameplay.

I never experienced this issue with my Xonar D2X. Even when it was right next to my HD6990

I also tried placing the sound card above the GPU card to take more advantage of the protective casing on the sound card, but alas same results; rendering the casing pretty useless?

I don't have that problem, yet...But does the problem appear when you mute your mic or when your not talking?

Hagge wrote:
I don't have that problem, yet...But does the problem appear when you mute your mic or when your not talking?

The noise disappears only when I mute the mic.

Estatus wrote:
The noise disappears only when I mute the mic.

So that noise is still when your speaking too? Must be annoying as hell then, cause I wouldnt be able to focus on what your saying:/

Hagge wrote:
So that noise is still when your speaking too? Must be annoying as hell then, cause I wouldnt be able to focus on what your saying:/

Yes it is, even when I plug in an external mic through the ROG volume controller (or even directly to the sound card). I've managed to reduce some of the noise level by adjusting the mic boost (obviously) but what you hear on the youtube video is when it's recorded without the mic boost. To me this is a huge let-down and a disappointment for such a "high-end" sound card.

thegovernment
Level 7
I also have been having that problem with the mic, humming and sounding like a helicopter. though mine is not all the time, it comes and goes. I'm using vent.

I'm having this exact same problem with an Asus Xonar Essence STX and playing BF3. It seems to not happen when playing any other games.

Here's a recording of what mine sounds like:

http://www.mediafire.com/?gy39w20ddfjr933

I hope someone comes along with a solution sooner than later..

ahhbility wrote:
I'm having this exact same problem with an Asus Xonar Essence STX and playing BF3. It seems to not happen when playing any other games.

Here's a recording of what mine sounds like:

http://www.mediafire.com/?gy39w20ddfjr933

I hope someone comes along with a solution sooner than later..

That sounds almost identical to the sound I'm experiencing with Xonar Phoebus. I've spoken with people on other forums that have similar issues with Xonar D2X and such, but I don't understand why such an issue should persist on an expensive high-end card like the Phoebus or the STX.