cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re Creating Recovery Partition

Retired
Not applicable
I'd like to re-create the Asus recovery partition from my cleaned up running system. As far as I can tell from disc manager is it simply a hidden partition? Any ideas how to go about it?

Alternatively I could use Win7's imaging capabilities or a third party app like Ghost or Arconis however it would be convenient if the F9 feauture still worked. I wonder if that is possible.
5 REPLIES 5

Chastity
Level 10
why did you delete the partition originally? You should have backed it up first with imaging software.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Retired
Not applicable
I didn't delete it, it just has all Asus bloatware installed so usable at a pinch but not much use recovering a day to day working system.

I discovered most manufactures use a custom MBR for there function key intercepts, no reason to suppose asus is different. This has a potential implication if your MBR becomes corrupt (certainly not unheard of) and it is fixed it through the windows recovery console (FIXMBR), one might end up with an inaccessible recovery partition. Users relying on that might be well advised to use a freeware utility to back up the MBR.

As the partition is little used to me, I could reveal it and see what it contains. I guess some sort of imaging programs restore application.

I guess the easy way for me to replace it would be to use imaging software myself (I hear Macrium Reflect is a good freeware option) and have a simple Windows dual boot, (Windows or Restore Windows). I believe Win7 actually has its own imaging tool built in not sure whether that will create a bootable, restorable image on another partition or whether it requires an already running system to restore an image.

Retired
Not applicable
An update: the partition is a hidden partition of type 1C

I have apprehensively unhidden it and it looks like they use Microsofts WinPE edition. This might be workable after all.

BlowFish wrote:
An update: the partition is a hidden partition of type 1C

I have apprehensively unhidden it and it looks like they use Microsofts WinPE edition. This might be workable after all.

Hey Blowfish,

sorry for re-awake this old thread but i'm actually trying to make a hidden recovery-partition with a prepared Win10 installation from a new SSD on my G73.
Did you get it running with your machine already? Got some Tips or maybe a tutorial for me?

I managed to do some things on my own so far:

- i copied the content of the hidden partition to external hdd just to be sure.
- i know how to make a "clean" Installation with Audit-Mode so i can backup it on other Disks
- i got the BCD-Settings saved (sorry, not in english):
Windows-Start-Manager
---------------------
Bezeichner {bootmgr}
device partition=C:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale de-DE
inherit {globalsettings}
default {current}
resumeobject {38918afb-8324-11e5-ba4f-f5fa4119726a}
displayorder {current}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 30

Windows-Startladeprogramm
-------------------------
Bezeichner {current}
device partition=C:
path \WINDOWS\system32\winload.exe
description Windows 10
locale de-DE
inherit {bootloadersettings}
recoverysequence {81ab78d8-8324-11e5-ba4f-f5fa4119726a}
recoveryenabled Yes
allowedinmemorysettings 0x15000075
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \WINDOWS
resumeobject {38918afb-8324-11e5-ba4f-f5fa4119726a}
nx OptIn
bootmenupolicy Standard

(Edit: Also I'm quite a bit confused, as there is no boot-entry to boot from the recovery partition. Since the Volume C is the 'active' Partition the BIOS is searching for a bootmgr here. I dont have any idea, how pressing F9 leads the BIOS to mount and search in the hidden partition... 😞 )

i found out, that Windows is booting without seperate boot-Partition. any idea how to avoid this (e.g. backup boot-Partition as well)?
I plan to use VeraCrypt to decrypt my system-Partition. Backing up encrypted Partitions with veracrypt on the WinPE itself would be a solution but in case i want to recover an unencrypted System i guess a nice and clean installationbackup seems to be nicer...
Also i don't have any clue whether or not veracrypt needs the bootpartition...

Hope you can help me a bit to get it up and running, so i can use my Laptop again eventually! 😉

Almighty1
Level 9
All you really have to do is use Macrium Reflect and copy the partition(s).