cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame rate loss with 3d gaming? Please help!!

like3D
Level 7
Hi. I'm in a bit of trouble because I'm totally confused about Nvidia 3D Vision. I plan on getting the Asus ROG G74SX 3D 17 inch laptop soon which is supposed to be a "3D READY" laptop with a 120HZ screen. It has an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M video card with Nvidia 3D vision capabilities. The problem is, the main reason I want the laptop is for 3D gaming, but I keep reading that turning on 3D vision cuts frame-rate by half or then just results in significant fps loss. However, I thought that since the screen of the laptop is already 3D Ready (120 HZ), the frame-rate wouldn't be affected because the video card wouldn't have to pump out dual images to create 3D. So my question is: Will I lose FPS if I use Nvidia 3D Vision on games on the Asus G74SX laptop or not?

PLEASE HELP!!!!
Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8

Dark
Level 9
yes you would lose FPS rates this is common my cards are 3d and i have drops in my fps. i think its down to game play extra with cards it should not be a problem seems most cards run higher then the normal FPS RATE. That and over clocking extra can make drops extra as for the 3d laptop screen should be no change but like all depending on whats running could make it drop but im no exspert on this i would say it will but it will only be a small step down depending on what programs are used and cpu power extra all things tend to drop if you understand what im saying so yeah its normal and wont be a problem .
motherboard ASUS Crosshair V Formula
PSU Fractal Design Newton R2 1000W
MemoryRipjaws 16 GB
CaseArmor Mx
CPUAMD Bulldozer FX-8120 8 Core 3.10GHz

Clocked to 4.5GHz

Im a girl 🙂 so be nice as i bite

HiVizMan
Level 40
When ever you enable 3D there will be a FPS penalty you have to pay. I suspect that is mainly due to the fact that 3D produces two sets of images, hence the stereoscopy effect we call 3D. Producing two sets of images equals twice the work load.

Not sure that helps you mind, but that is my understanding of things.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Ok. Thanks for the replies. I guess it's established that there will be frame rate loss, but does anyone know HOW MUCH of a fps drop there will be in 3D mode? I've read that it cuts in half: 60 fps to 30 fps, but then I watched a youtube video with a teaser of the Asus G74SX: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMfBU7wQLsw

and in the video, the games are running on the laptop in 3D but the gameplay is quite smooth.

So im just wondering about how severe the fps drop is in 3D.

HiVizMan
Level 40
To have a smooth gameplay you only need a min of 24FPS by the way.

Not ideal but certainly playable. And if you saw it on youtube with the same notebook as they one you wish to use then it must be so. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

xeromist
Twice as many frames are needed for 3DVision since one frame is needed for each eye. The display will be operating at full framerate but with the shutter glasses each eye will see exactly half. This isn't a traditional performance hit where we're talking about performance ranges, half of all frames are blocked from each eye; no more, no less.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

As the others have said, 3D really kicks the units butt because it has to render the same imagine TWICE.

The best advice I have is to disable AA (or set it to something lower) and to lower the screen res (down to 720p)

Some 3D games being even my GTX 680 to it's knees 🙂
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com

Shawnnepc wrote:
As the others have said, 3D really kicks the units butt because it has to render the same imagine TWICE.

The best advice I have is to disable AA (or set it to something lower) and to lower the screen res (down to 720p)

Some 3D games being even my GTX 680 to it's knees 🙂

How much does is the performance/fps affected with 3D vision on? Like on average how much fps do you lose?

like3D wrote:
How much does is the performance/fps affected with 3D vision on? Like on average how much fps do you lose?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-3d-vision-hd3d-steroscopic,3050-5.html

Lost Planet 2

2 SLI 580's run @ 120FPS (60 FPS per eye) w/3D

2 SLI 580's run @ 159 FPS w/o 3D

This will give you a rough idea.

It can range from 20-50% performance loss depending on title

So basically, if the game you want to play in 3D is having issues rendering the game normally 3D will not be something you'd want to use
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com