cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keyboard Backlight Stoped Working!

Retired
Not applicable
Hi, I'm new to the forum, I have the g73jh-rbbxx05 (best buy) model. I've had it for a few months. Yesterday I upgraded the RAM from 6 to 8 gb. I came home from work and I noticed the keyboard don't light up anymore, the fn f4 and f3 keys don't work. I tried a few things and nothing works. The memory is compatable, i deleted the keyboard drivers and they reinstalled still don't work. Could it be a bios issue? I have bios 204. I'm running out of ideas, help me if you can, I really like my light up keyboard.
45 REPLIES 45

Retired
Not applicable
Try reinstalling the ATKPackage?

Retired
Not applicable
Yes, I reinstalled the ATK Package and still nothing. I don't understand why it would suddenly stop working. Any other ideas?

Chastity
Level 10
First off, update your BIOS. 213 is out, and fixes a few issues since 204.
Also check to see if they still flash on startup POST. If so, then they are working.
When in Windows, use Fn+F4 to raise the lights. If that doesn't work, cycle the 1st ASUS button (top 3 buttons) on the left til it says All Lights On. Then hit Fn+F4
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Retired
Not applicable
I haven't updated my bios yet but i plan on it. The lights do not flash on bootup like they used too. I did all that stuff with the buttons and fn keys. After I upgraded the ram to 8 i noticed the light don't work, could the bios fix that? Or is it something else?

Retired
Not applicable
I have had the same problem with the backlights going out. This is the second time this has happened. I purchased the G73JW last month, and have been updating software and so forth, mostly trying to get all the latest drivers etc.
My keyboard lights work, as in they will flash during start up. However the F3 & F4 functions no longer affect the back light. It simply remains off. The light function key (top Left corner) still works to turn on Blue LED's , just no effect on keyboard.
I recently tried reinstalling the Bios update because the subwoofer continually made a tapping sound, and occasionally does it now and again. It seems as though the keyboard or palm rests may affect the steady tapping as it sometimes comes back intermittently.

Retired
Not applicable
I wonder since the lights don't flash at bootup that I'm kind of screwed? I mean it's not a huge deal but the lightup keyboard was a nice selling point for me and over all I love this machine. I just hope when I flash the bios with winflash it fixes it.

Retired
Not applicable
WinFLASH????? I would not recommend using that tool to flash the BIOS, Better(safer) to do it directly from the BIOS with EZFLASH. When you added the RAM did you have to do anything more that remove the cover on the bottom of the computer?

Retired
Not applicable
No when I added the ram thats all I did. Took the bottom cover off and that's it. I wonder if upping the RAM with the bios I have now had something to do with the key board lights not working? So winflash is no good? I haven't updated a bios in years so I don't know whats good and whats not.

Retired
Not applicable
OK, I have reloaded the Bios 205 on the G73JW. The keyboard lights still do not work.
They flash at startup, so I know they physically operate, I just cannot turn them on.
What else can I do?
Thank you Chastity, there is loads of info you have posted so far, but I'm still at a loss.