cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm running a little hot. (G74SX)

Cat
Level 9
I noticed today that my fans are blowing somewhat more audibly than usual.

Screencap from fresh restart:
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/5583/tempsc.png

I did spray with canned air a few weeks ago, so it shouldn't be dust.
13 REPLIES 13

Dark
Level 9
Could be a virus or maloware they can make your system fans run faster then normal. Worth looking into.
motherboard ASUS Crosshair V Formula
PSU Fractal Design Newton R2 1000W
MemoryRipjaws 16 GB
CaseArmor Mx
CPUAMD Bulldozer FX-8120 8 Core 3.10GHz

Clocked to 4.5GHz

Im a girl 🙂 so be nice as i bite

Cat
Level 9
Already scanned with Malwarebytes. No positives. And if it made my fans run faster, wouldn't that make my CPU cooler? >_>

Cat wrote:
Already scanned with Malwarebytes. No positives. And if it made my fans run faster, wouldn't that make my CPU cooler? >_>
Hell no it will cook it 🙂 Viruses like cooking cpu's.

Try this a test virus http://www.rexswain.com/eicar.html then look at fan heat it over cooks lool would post a nasty one but yeah dont want to kill pc's 🙂
motherboard ASUS Crosshair V Formula
PSU Fractal Design Newton R2 1000W
MemoryRipjaws 16 GB
CaseArmor Mx
CPUAMD Bulldozer FX-8120 8 Core 3.10GHz

Clocked to 4.5GHz

Im a girl 🙂 so be nice as i bite

TorturedBIscuit
Level 7
CPU temp is definitely high, not sure about the GPU though, mine runs on 37C.
Currently owning: G74SX-AH71

Cat
Level 9
Alright, I know it's summer, but my CPU is now idling at 48 degrees. I dread having to open this thing to clean it out from the inside. I've checked one disassembly guide and it looks incredibly complicated and I don't know the shortest path to the fans and whatever else I need to clean to make this thing run cool again.

You don't need to disassemble it to clean it.

Open the DVD drive bay all the way, get a can of compressed air, and first blow from the top where the screen connects to the body. These are your intake fins. This will get some out.

Next point the can into the big exhaust cans in the back and let it rip. Might want to have a vacuum cleaner on and right under the vent to grab the dust coming out.

Hmm, I'm on ~44-46C idle on my G74 as well. And this with a cleaned computer (opened entire thing up and ripped mobo out). I thought 44ish was a normal idle temperature so I did not reapply thermal compound.

As for you who clean without opening up, do what Bojamijams said so you don't push the dust inside the fans.

Cat
Level 9
I actually ripped the bottom cover off and started spraying canned air everywhere. Idle temps have dropped by almost 10 degrees.

kimiraikkonen
Level 7
My GTX460 is about 55-58 when browsing and will be a slight below of these values when it's idle BUT the ambient room temp is 30 C here.

IMHO, your GPU temps are really fine. No probs. Gaming will rise it up by 25-30 degrees.
ASUS G53JW-XA1